Hawaii question

Dami

Hello, 

We're taking a NCL Hawaiian cruise and I wanted to ask two questions:

1. We are looking to renting a car in Maui, when we are there for two days.  Are there any recommendations of companies that can pick up at Port?  Or is it best to take a cab?

2. My mom wanted to use a hotels facilities while in Maui and Hawaii and not excursions.  Is this an option? We also thought about her just booking a hotel in Maui for a night to use their facilitates and looking at locations.  

Thank you, 

Dami

The major rental car companies are located at the Kahului airport which is a short distance from the pier in Kahului. When we were there a few years back the rental car companies provided a shuttle to and from the airport so no need to arrange transportation or take a cab. At that time you could park at the port for free over night but my understanding is that that is no longer allowed.

I have used hotel facilities for day trips many times though not on Maui. Hotels are often happy to accommodate day guests. Some will allow you to do this on the promise of buying lunch/drinks but most will want a day fee. My suggestion is that you narrow your search to a beach area you want to use and call the resorts in that area and see what they have to offer.

We have been to Maui several times. Day passes don’t really exist there although occasionally you’ll hear about someone asking and being given access if the hotel is slow. I have heard of people paying for cabana rentals at the Grand Wailea but the cheapest room for the night might be about the same.

She could also look into a spa pass but that would not include access to the main hotel pools. 

When we were in Maui, we caught the car rental shuttle bus to the airport to pick up our vehicle. Our driver informed us that the Maui Beach hotel which is on the main drag as you make the left out of the port (maybe a ten min walk if that) offers overnight parking for cruise guests for only $5. This way you don’t have to go all the way back to the airport to drop off and pick up your car. 

While visiting Kauai, if you are planning on renting a vehicle there, I would suggest parking it at Anchor Shops (pay at JJGrillers restaurant - I believe it was only $10 - $15> but not positive). It was very convenient and they have an Anchor Shops shuttle continuously going back and forth from the shopping center to the port. 

Both made parking much easier than we thought they were going to be. 

13 hours ago, johnrich said:

When we were in Maui, we caught the car rental shuttle bus to the airport to pick up our vehicle. Our driver informed us that the Maui Beach hotel which is on the main drag as you make the left out of the port (maybe a ten min walk if that) offers overnight parking for cruise guests for only $5. This way you don’t have to go all the way back to the airport to drop off and pick up your car. 

Don't you mean you would have to make a right turn when exiting the port to get to the Maui Beach Hotel?