Cyclone OMA watch

Found this online:

"NZ cruise departing Sunday 24/02 -- Please be advised that we have received advice that port operations in Brisbane will be significantly affected due to the strong winds and heavy swell caused by Cyclone Oma.

As a result, Sea Princess’ return to Brisbane will be delayed, and embarkation for your cruise will now take place on Wednesday, 27 February. We will communicate additional details as your embarkation date draws closer.

In recognition of the delayed start to your cruise and to offset any expenses you may incur due to the delay, all guests will receive a 3-day refund of the cruise fare paid as a refundable onboard credit.

We are currently reviewing the itinerary options and will advise you of your new itinerary and once we have fully determined the effects of the weather and port availability.

We regret this disruption to the start of your cruise holiday and look forward to welcoming you aboard.
"

Yes Aus Traveller, they sent us an email today to say they had canceled the 3 day comedy cruise out of Brisbane on Saturday on the Pacific Dawn due to "Pacific Dawn’s return into Brisbane has been unavoidably delayed" and I am guessing a possible closure of the port. 

And yes a full refund which is good, plus a goodwill gesture of $100 for each guest to go towards our next cruise, which is even better.

I guess on reflection I wouldn't have liked to been sea sick for three days. Have experienced that before and it wasnt nice.  

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I wonder how the Sea Princess will go. She is due in on Sunday, coming from the north. The Weather Bureau predicts that the cyclone will turn to the north on Saturday. Someone mentioned they will be missing Willis Island. Maybe they will try to get into Brisbane on Saturday rather than Sunday. Whatever they do, it will be bumpy.

We were booked on Sea Princess on Sunday 24th to go to NZ - we got notification its now not leaving until Wednesday (if then) - so I assume its staying up north until the cyclone has bugged off . We are ok we live here but I have friends who have rail bookings. 

For anyone interested in Arcadia currently in Sydney - I tweeted P&O as our friends are on board.  They replied 

“Hi there, due to the projected path of Tropical Cyclone Oma, Arcadia has extended the call in Sydney until early Sunday morning and will now aim to call into Brisbane on Tuesday for a full day.  Please direct message us if you need any further assistance”

Edited by Joyful1066

7 hours ago, Joyful1066 said:

For anyone interested in Arcadia currently in Sydney - I tweeted P&O as our friends are on board.  They replied 

“Hi there, due to the projected path of Tropical Cyclone Oma, Arcadia has extended the call in Sydney until early Sunday morning and will now aim to call into Brisbane on Tuesday for a full day.  Please direct message us if you need any further assistance”

Thanks for the update. Does that mean Arcadia will anchor in the harbour and run tenders ashore?

26 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Nice pick, she is going to miss Cairns on the 26th now as well.

14 minutes ago, Joyful1066 said:

O dear.  Have P&O confirmed that?

She has several sea days on her way to Japan , so could catch up then

Wed 20/02/19 Sydney / Australia 06:30
Thu 21/02/19 Sydney / Australia 23:59
Fri 22/02/19 At Sea
Sat 23/02/19 Brisbane / Australia 07:00 18:00
Sun 24/02/19 At Sea
Mon 25/02/19 Airlie Beach / Australia 07:00 17:00
Tue 26/02/19 Yorkeys Knob / Australia 08:00 18:00
Wed 27/02/19 At Sea
Thu 28/02/19 At Sea
Fri 01/03/19 Rabaul / Papua New Guinea 07:00 17:30
Sat 02/03/19 At Sea
Sun 03/03/19 At Sea
Mon 04/03/19 At Sea
Tue 05/03/19 At Sea
Wed 06/03/19 At Sea
Thu 07/03/19 Kagoshima / Japan

Well this is all a turn up for the books & will cost Carnival Corp. a mint.

Hope Brisbane has enough berths for all the cruise ships now due next week.

Maybe Sun Princess will miss Brisbane.  The other 3 are turning around or taking on more Oz. pax. to upset the world cruisers.

Now Bom. are predicting OMA will not approach the coast, but turn north tomorrow.

It's been down graded to a cat.1 & the cyclone watch cancelled.

Oma 22nd 4am.png

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

When we cruise we are advised to have travel Insurance,

Wonder if Carnival Cruise Lines carries an Insurance for such an event as this????

From what I heard after the Costa Concordia disaster, Carnival Corp self-insure and only have insurance on the hulls of their ships.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Arcadia is going to be playing musical berths in Sydney.

Currently at Athol buoy tendering & back to OPT tonight.

Back to Athol AM 23rd.

Back to OPT  PM  23rd.

Noordam arrives AM 24th to OPT.

No departure for Arcadia listed on Sydney Ports shipping movements.