Tenders and Private Shore Excusions

Pushka

I have a query as to how Viking manages the tender process. It seems that at least three of our ports in Alaska in May will be tenders and I suspect at least one more. Viking make no mention of tenders in the MVJ and this info has been obtained from tour operators and port schedules. 

I’m in one of the last groups to have access to Viking Excursions and a couple of the ones I’d want have very limited spaces so suspect they will be sold out before I can book them. So I’m preparing on my own. But it’s hard to organise times when Viking don’t provide this information upfront. And of course I know things can change but that seems very unlikely that a ship will not arrive into port when others have unless there are mechanical issues. 

So, I’d appreciate an idea of how quickly Viking gets people off the ship with tenders. From past experiences on other lines it can take a couple of hours and their excursions get preferences. 

So an approximate time would be helpful - is Viking efficient at this? Should I allow an hour, two hours after arrival to get to shore?

Just now, Pushka said:

I have a query as to how Viking manages the tender process. It seems that at least three of our ports in Alaska in May will be tenders and I suspect at least one more. Viking make no mention of tenders in the MVJ and this info has been obtained from tour operators and port schedules. 

I’m in one of the last groups to have access to Viking Excursions and a couple of the ones I’d want have very limited spaces so suspect they will be sold out before I can book them. So I’m preparing on my own. But it’s hard to organise times when Viking don’t provide this information upfront. And of course I know things can change but that seems very unlikely that a ship will not arrive into port when others have unless there are mechanical issues. 

So, I’d appreciate an idea of how quickly Viking gets people off the ship with tenders. From past experiences on other lines it can take a couple of hours and their excursions get preferences. 

So an approximate time would be helpful - is Viking efficient at this? Should I allow an hour, two hours after arrival to get to shore?

Viking has independent tourists report to the atrium and works them in with scheduled tours.  When we book independent tours we expect the operators to take into account tender operations.  So far that has always worked, except for a tour in New Zealand.  Rough seas delayed tendering and the tour departed without us.  The operator refunded all fees.  Some have a nonrefundable deposit like independent operators on Easter Island.  Those that had booked tours with those operators on our stop there 19 Feb 2019 lost that deposit.  You pay your money and you take your chances. 

3 hours ago, eylarson said:

Viking has independent tourists report to the atrium and works them in with scheduled tours.  When we book independent tours we expect the operators to take into account tender operations.  So far that has always worked, except for a tour in New Zealand.  Rough seas delayed tendering and the tour departed without us.  The operator refunded all fees.  Some have a nonrefundable deposit like independent operators on Easter Island.  Those that had booked tours with those operators on our stop there 19 Feb 2019 lost that deposit.  You pay your money and you take your chances. 

I would think that those losses are covered by your trip insurance.

2 hours ago, Missymssy said:

That is good to know. Eylarson. I am booked for Alaska in July and hadn't even thought to allow a few hours! I've booked a few already.

Pushka, how can I find this information? I believe I am doing the same itinerary as you, but southbound

Well Viking dont display this anywhere. I’d ask them directly but they seem a little reluctant to advise. We were finally advised of two tenders but found out today from a private excursion provider that there is at least another one. So three so far. I checked on my roll call and checked out port schedules. Vancouver port schedule for instance shows no Berth for Orion so that was my first clue. I looked up other ports and found similar. 

14 hours ago, Pushka said:

We've been on a number of Viking Oceans cruises with tender ports and found them to be very efficient at getting folks to the port.  Of course, the shore excursions don't all start at the same time, so that spaces out the use of the tenders a bit.  As someone else mentioned, if you are not on a shore excursion they work you in.  I don't think we ever really experienced any delays.

As for whether you will be tendering or not, your original invoice from Viking includes a breakdown of the cruise by date and time.  If a scheduled port has an anchor symbol, it means they expect to tender in that port. (See below.)  

1437962498_TenderNotes.PNG.e03e8da6d00a388f9530f13865dc1786.PNG

7 hours ago, cocopico said:

We've been on a number of Viking Oceans cruises with tender ports and found them to be very efficient at getting folks to the port.  Of course, the shore excursions don't all start at the same time, so that spaces out the use of the tenders a bit.  As someone else mentioned, if you are not on a shore excursion they work you in.  I don't think we ever really experienced any delays.

As for whether you will be tendering or not, your original invoice from Viking includes a breakdown of the cruise by date and time.  If a scheduled port has an anchor symbol, it means they expect to tender in that port. (See below.)  

1437962498_TenderNotes.PNG.e03e8da6d00a388f9530f13865dc1786.PNG

I did check the invoice and there are no anchor symbols. Viking themselves have confirmed two and I’ve just been advised by a private shoreex provider of a third. I think there are more. 

4898F80B-C82F-406A-83B8-634EEE7FF6BD.jpeg

Edited by Pushka

20 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I did check the invoice and there are no anchor symbols. Viking themselves have confirmed two and I’ve just been advised by a private shoreex provider of a third. I think there are more. 

4898F80B-C82F-406A-83B8-634EEE7FF6BD.jpeg

We've been on five Viking Ocean cruises and on every one of them all of the tender ports were included on the original invoice and we've never experienced a deviation from what was on the invoice.  Is this Viking's first season in Alaska?  I wonder if they just didn't know at the time they announced the cruises what their port situation would be (which seems strange, since they have to reserve them well in advance).  Given the size of those towns, though, and the popularity of those cruises, I have to believe it is pretty tight getting everyone into the ports.  Good luck getting it all sorted out! 

3 hours ago, cocopico said:

We've been on five Viking Ocean cruises and on every one of them all of the tender ports were included on the original invoice and we've never experienced a deviation from what was on the invoice.  Is this Viking's first season in Alaska?  I wonder if they just didn't know at the time they announced the cruises what their port situation would be (which seems strange, since they have to reserve them well in advance).  Given the size of those towns, though, and the popularity of those cruises, I have to believe it is pretty tight getting everyone into the ports.  Good luck getting it all sorted out! 

Yes, it’s the very first cruise Viking has done in Alaska. We booked two years ago so you’d think it would have all been sorted before going to the public. But Viking seem almost surprised I’m asking them about it as other cruise lines advises those ports that will likely be tendered before booking. 

We're doing the Midnight Sun in June, and Edinburgh on our docs shows no anchor. However the local port info shows our ship 'docking' at a port that requires a tender. It's always possible for port operations to have changed plans between the time your docs are printed (potentially many months before) and the actual cruise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We have been to Alaska 3 times on a cruise and only tendered once, and that was Sitka in 1991.  I have read that cruise ships now dock north of town and I think that must be true because we drove north of town 2 years ago and saw where the ferries come in, so they probably can accommodate cruise ships there.  BUT, while there we also saw a cruise ship anchored in the bay one day and watched tenders come into town, so who knows.   We did not arrive by cruise ship, but flew up for a week.  Our last Alaska cruise was May of last year

Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway can all accommodate more than one cruise ship at their  piers.  We also docked at Icy Strait Point but can't say if they could accommodate a second, or third ship.  We were the only one there.  Have no experience with Valdez. I would check the port schedules of each of your ports to see if other ships will be there on the same day as you.  In May the ports aren't usually  as busy as they will be in July or August.  It is a great time to go and the weather in general is better in May that the later summer months.  

I’ve checked port schedules now and it seems like there are currently four ports we are allocated as a tender with no berths and other ships have berths allocated to them. The ports we are currently berthed are Skagway, Sitka and Seward at the end. Valdez is a little unclear but think perhaps berthed.  We are currently showing as a tender in Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, and ISP. So four so far. 

There are mutliple ships in every port we visit and these have berths allocated to them. So while ports can accomodate multiple ships there are still not enought berths in four ports to accomodate one for Orion on this trip. 

Edited by Pushka

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

I’ve checked port schedules now and it seems like there are currently four ports we are allocated as a tender with no berths and other ships have berths allocated to them. The ports we are currently berthed are Skagway, Sitka and Seward at the end. Valdez is a little unclear but think perhaps berthed.  We are currently showing as a tender in Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, and ISP. So four so far. 

Wow, well I guess Alaska is just getting busier with each season.  We were there mid May last year with just one other ship in 2 of the ports.  I guess Memorial Day Week it picks up.  Maybe because this is Vikings first season there the other ships get first dibs on the piers?  Well, I'm sure it will all work out and you will have a great time!  And sorry, I guess I wasn't much help!

27 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Wow, well I guess Alaska is just getting busier with each season.  We were there mid May last year with just one other ship in 2 of the ports.  I guess Memorial Day Week it picks up.  Maybe because this is Vikings first season there the other ships get first dibs on the piers?  Well, I'm sure it will all work out and you will have a great time!  And sorry, I guess I wasn't much help!

It’s all great information! Thankyou for the input. And yes, Viking is very late to the party and berths get booked up years ahead. Just wish they were more upfront before booking because some just don’t like tenders and others need to factor the time in when booking excursions. The crew has to work extra hard too and if the seas are a bit bumpy that’s a problem for people who get seasick on smaller boats.