Dress code Meraviglia

ranchette

There are (*usually) 2 'Elegant' (formerly 'Gala') nights on a 7 night cruise.  There will probably at least 2 on your 10 night cruise;  there may even be a 3rd one.  There are 3 on 11 night cruises;  I can't remember if there were 3 on a 9 night cruise we did.

*For the first time in my experience, there was only one 'Elegant' night on a 7 night cruise, which was on Armonia last month.  I was told it was because the itinerary was port-intensive ... something that doesn't seem to affect Med cruises, which, too, are port-intensive.

Other than that, there will be a 'Flower Power - 60s, 70s 80s', 'White' and probably 'Italian' and 'Pirate' night.  The only one that people seem to dress up for (apart from the Entertainment team) is the 'White' night.  It's usually held on the pool deck but will be indoors in the Galleria area for your cruise as it'll be too cold on deck.

Edited by Beamafar

There were 2 elegant nights on our 7 day cruise but not everyone dresses up.  There were a lot of people in our restaurant on elegant night that were dressed nicely but informal.  More like going to church. Anything goes really. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, conshek said:

There were 2 elegant nights on our 7 day cruise but not everyone dresses up.  There were a lot of people in our restaurant on elegant night that were dressed nicely but informal.  More like going to church. Anything goes really. 

Would it be OK for my husband to wear a dress shirt - no jacket?  Thanks.

Edited by jimbri
Hit submit button before commenting.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:32 PM, Beamafar said:

....*For the first time in my experience, there was only one 'Elegant' night on a 7 night cruise, which was on Armonia last month.  I was told it was because the itinerary was port-intensive ... something that doesn't seem to affect Med cruises, which, too, are port-intensive.....

On Preziosa this month, also port-intensive, there was only one 'Gala' night each week.

Maybe they're reducing the number of 'Elegant' nights to the Captain's night only.  🤔  There certainly has been a noticeable decline in the number of people dressing up over the last couple of years, which, as far as we're concerned, is a real shame.

Just now, JohnIreland said:

Does the dress code extend to the specialty restaurants ?

No - only to the MDRs.  The dress code is only a suggested one, too  (though the rule on no shorts in the evening may - this rule is not always enforced and people have had different experiences on different ships in different regions).

20 hours ago, hamrag said:

On Preziosa this month, also port-intensive, there was only one 'Gala' night each week.

20 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Maybe they're reducing the number of 'Elegant' nights to the Captain's night only.  🤔  There certainly has been a noticeable decline in the number of people dressing up over the last couple of years, which, as far as we're concerned, is a real shame.

We had 5/6 'Gala' nights on our Preziosa 19 night repositioning cruise.

The region and demographic of passenger does make a noticeable difference in the efforts on dress. I quite agree Bea, it is lovely to see everyone making an effort. DH has downgraded to a suit from a tux but a proper evening dress is still my  selection.