Flying out of Copenhagen

ckfred

We're contemplating taking a cruise this June out of Copenhagen.  With a Saturday arrival, what would be the earliest departure time out of the Copenhagen airport.  I'm finding a flight that leaves at 1:45 for Heathrow, but that would only give us 1:15 to connect to the last departure of the day for Chicago.  What is the earliest departure time out of Copenhagen that is won't have us panicking, if disembarkation takes a while? 

The problem with Copenhagen is that the cruise port where you arrive is the other side of the city from the Airport. Being a Saturday will work in your favour as the city will be a lot quieter at the time you will be travelling.

On a Saturday, you should be able to get to the Airport in about half to three quarters of an hour by taxi, so 1.45pm should leave you plenty of time.

Just be aware that there are often not many taxis waiting at the port in Copenhagen (unless things have changed recently). I would make sure that you have something booked.

Copenhagen / Kastrup is my local international airport. I would guess that even if your flight departed at 11:00 am, there would be no problems, what so ever. As long as you check in online, the airport is easy and quick. Even if you check in at the airport, it is also really quick. A lot of self check in kiosks. So, do not worry.

17 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

You better check the arrival and departure terminals at Heathrow. If they are different, then the 1:15 layover is SOL.

Try to get same airline all way thru to Chicago?

Norwegian Air?

Very good point. I hadn't given any consideration to that part of the question, but you are absolutely correct, a 1.15 layover will be a problem at LHR if changing terminals.

We were on the same cruise last year and took the 1:15 flight to London.  We had a 2.5 hour layover in London and thought we had plenty of time and would get something to eat.  It turned out we barely made our flight as we had to go through customs again twice before we got to our gate even though we never left the airport and went straight from our arrival gate....and they were very slow.  Hopefully your experience will be better.

14 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

You better check the arrival and departure terminals at Heathrow. If they are different, then the 1:15 layover is SOL.

Try to get same airline all way thru to Chicago?

Norwegian Air?

It's me again. If I were you, I'd avoid London Heathrow altogether. Why don't you try Icelandair - it will take you to Chicago via Iceland (1:30 layover - plenty of time)?

Keflavik is a nice airport and a busy one but short layovers there are common - we have done that several times.

14 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Unlikely at Heathrow.

Very true! Happened to us once when we had a connecting flight at LHR - the walking took a long time and we had to go thru a quick passport check (fortunately we have British UK passports) and security (where we had to dump free bottles of water from previous flight … warning if you bought duty free booze, you're SOL!!) and then there was a long walk to gate - which turned out to be a gate or 2 away from the gate we'd arrived at!! The whole thing took over an hour! Luckily we had a longer layover (3 hours). Same airline (BA) and same terminal (T5).

Edited by bluesea777

Have you thought about other connection options other than Heathrow ?

Amsterdam - lots of flights to the USA

Frankfurt

Reykjavik

Possible routing thru Canada - Toronto

Allow 2 hours or more for origin check in and connections

Ditch any ideas of Duty Free and Carry-On Luggage snags (water) make it simple to pass Security -

especially with airports where you don't stay in a common security zone making a connection.

Try and coordinate your air travel on Mainline Carriers (KLM Delta United American) - Norwegian is not one of them

Be frugal but realize that may not be to your advantage and comfort zone.

We flew out of Copenhagen on a Saturday last September. Our flight left around 12:50 headed to Lisbon. We had Platinum tags and as I recall disembarked the ship around 8:45.  We arrived at the airport in about 45 minutes (plenty of taxis waiting) and were airside by 10:45.  

22 hours ago, ckfred said:

We're contemplating taking a cruise this June out of Copenhagen.  With a Saturday arrival, what would be the earliest departure time out of the Copenhagen airport.  I'm finding a flight that leaves at 1:45 for Heathrow, but that would only give us 1:15 to connect to the last departure of the day for Chicago.  What is the earliest departure time out of Copenhagen that is won't have us panicking, if disembarkation takes a while? 

Can i give you a tip, if you are after an upgrade, then get the cruise out of warnemunde (Berlin) it’s the second port, because nearly everyone boards at Copenhagen, if someone is in the haven departing at Berlin on the second day, there is more chance.