Singapore Cruise Terminal

Mrs f.

FYI.....Just got off the Nautica in Singapore. We were there overnight. 

Each time you get off, you have to go through the immigration queue. 

We were given a paper on Nautica that said ALL liquor needs to be declared and duty paid, even if in transit.....

If you have any to declare, keep the items separate because the person at the counter needs to see them...we didn't know and had to open and go through our luggage to find stuff.

END RESULT.....when they saw that our wine was South African  and unopened, we were waved through...no tax.   Another couple had a half used bottle of vodka purchased in Langkawi. They later told me that the duty was more than twice what they paid for the bottle. They left it at the counter.

Edited by Mrs f.
Spelling error

Not sure if I understand what you're saying(?).

Are you merely mentioning that wine/spirits (purchased during your cruise) that you are taking OFF the ship in Singapore (even if you are just headed to the airport, [i.e., "in transit"]) is subject to taxation in Singapore?

If so, I agree that anything subject to "declaration" should always be readily available for inspection (anywhere in the world).

That said, I often question the practice of buying booze abroad solely to cart it home. 

As as I read/write this, I am staring at two very exceptional (and different) limited edition Uruguayan wines I had previously researched and just purchased at a winery outside of Punta del Este. Why ever would I take them home? 

We'll drink them onboard and take the memory home (along with the name of the US distributor should we decide to buy more). 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That said, I often question the practice of buying booze abroad solely to cart it home. 

As as I read/write this, I am staring at two very exceptional (and different) limited edition Uruguayan wines I had previously researched and just purchased at a winery outside of Punta del Este. Why ever would I take them home? 

I can think of nothing better to give as a gift than something that can only be obtained while traveling. 

14 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I can think of nothing better to give as a gift than something that can only be obtained while traveling. 

A great deal depends on what that gift is...

-and a say that as the not so proud owner of a never to be worn Coachella baseball cap  :classic_wacko:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

A great deal depends on what that gift is...

-and a say that as the not so proud owner of a never to be worn Coachella baseball cap  :classic_wacko:

Better than my coffee mug from an ABC store on Oahu. At least yours has eBay value.  

I have brought back home a lot of hard to acquire wines from around the world typically at great prices! Pre bottle ban, my carry on coming home has been a case of wine before. Now it goes into checked baggage. 

I have brought home home some Grand Cru Burgundy, Reserva Barolo and Brunello  , and CdP at about half the price they’d be in the States if you could even find them! For some of the wines, the tiny allocations the American Importer gets typically all goes to upscale restaurants in the major metropolitan cities. 

Buying it at the winery and bringing it home yourself is often the only way to get prized wines for most consumers. It can come through the importer, but a multiple State distributor may choose to not distribute certain wines to retailers in your State. Southern Wines and Spirits May receive their wine but choose to distribute their entire allotment to just 2-3 States because they most economically can. Even being in one of those States doesn’t mean you can get any of it! I’m itb, and I buy wines abroad to bring home for personal consumption especially ones that need time to age!