How much Alcohol can I bring back to the US? (HAVANA CLUB RUM)

Valentina84

I will be on the Armonia in about 10 days to Cuba, Belize and Mexico. 

I would like to bring back as much as I can of Havana Club Rum back to the US. What does the government allow? The info online is not clear to me. I can also buy this in Mexico and Belize, does not have to be all out of Cuba, (not sure how much they allow you to bring back on the ship? I know from MSC experience, I brought back a few bottles of Havana Club Rum from different ports on my last cruise in Europe last summer, and MSC never said anything. And customs from France to the US also allowed me to enter with my bottles, it was 2 of us, we have 5 bottles total. Please advise if you know anything?

Thank you all in advance. I have learned so much from this forum. 

10 minutes ago, Valentina84 said:

I will be on the Armonia in about 10 days to Cuba, Belize and Mexico. 

I would like to bring back as much as I can of Havana Club Rum back to the US. What does the government allow? The info online is not clear to me. I can also buy this in Mexico and Belize, does not have to be all out of Cuba, (not sure how much they allow you to bring back on the ship? I know from MSC experience, I brought back a few bottles of Havana Club Rum from different ports on my last cruise in Europe last summer, and MSC never said anything. And customs from France to the US also allowed me to enter with my bottles, it was 2 of us, we have 5 bottles total. Please advise if you know anything?

Thank you all in advance. I have learned so much from this forum. 

We went to Havana in Dec 2017 on RCL. The government of Cuba will let you bring as much liquor and cigars back as you can haul. We had about a case of Havana Club rum, which we purchased at the government run store right in the terminal building (2nd floor) (must pay in Cuban CUCS, no American money). And about 2 dozen cigars. Plus we had booze from the duty free onboard. As usual, they confiscate and give it back to you the night before debark. We wrap the bottles very carefully in clothing and spread them out in various luggage that the crew takes off the ship. 

When we got off the ship in Miami, no one asked or checked our bags. They don't even make you fill out a declarations form anymore.  I've been thru customs many times and only got busted once and that was by the Agriculture Beagle, because I had an unwashed cup in my bag that had contained a Rum and Coke (lesson learned). 

Also, that thing about needing to join some cultural exchange thing or whatever, lol. If you consider The Tropicana a cultural exchange.

Also, the ship took care of the VISA's, which they charged $75 and it was included in our original fare. 

We're going back this December. So much more to see and do.  

So really, it's all easy breezy. They want you to spend your hard earned dollars on the ship and at ports of call and are really not interested in harassing the tourists.  (But don't call me if you need bailed out of jail or cause an international incident (wink)) ; )  

There is a misnomer about bringing booze into the USA.  There are no limits on how much you can bring other then your ability to carry the stuff.  However, with the exception of St Thomas, you would technically be subject to paying a small Duty (often less then $1 per bottle) on more then 1 liter per person.  You should certainly declare any excess booze (over the liter) and the odds are good that the CBP Agent will not even bother assessing any Duty (the paperwork is a pain and hardly worth the effort for the relatively small Duty).  The major hassle with carrying lots of booze is for those of us who must fly.  That booze would have to put into checked luggage which always has some risk of breakage...not to mention the issue about paying for excess weight or luggage.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Question, how much is Cuban rum usually? We go July 1st. Just curious... also exchange rate at this point or where so can find that information? Thanks!

From what I’ve read you can get a bottle of rum for $7-$20 depending on the age of the rum 

Exchange rate is .87 CUC for every $1 US 

8 hours ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Question, how much is Cuban rum usually? We go July 1st. Just curious... also exchange rate at this point or where so can find that information? Thanks!

I've seen it recommended in several places that you bring currency other than US$ as the Cubans have a 10% surcharge added to the exchange rate for dollars.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:20 AM, Beamafar said:

I've seen it recommended in several places that you bring currency other than US$ as the Cubans have a 10% surcharge added to the exchange rate for dollars.

I did the math on our last Cuban cruise and even with the surcharge it wasn't worth exchanging USA money to Euros or Canadian money, then to CUCS. The exchange rate from dollars to CUCS was basically one to one. 

The price of rum was also basically what you'd pay for a similar product in the US. The white, youngest rum would be about  7 CUCS, up to the dark Anjeo which would run double or higher. I can't really remember exactly, I was just so happy to have the chance to buy it legally that I used up every CUC I had left on me.   I didn't bother to bargain shop, I knew I just wanted Havana Club and buying it at the terminal was the easiest way, We didn't go to the HC factory/museum, but will this time just to possibly bring something back that's unique (although the government store in the terminal had a fine selection of rum, coffee and cigars).  It does get busy so don't wait until the last minute.