Guarantee Cabin ?

Momma Mojito

I booked two guarantee cabins on one 14 day cruise.  Cheapest outside cabins on the ship.  We had multiple cabin assignments in perpetually higher levels within the outside category on the undersold ship.  The cruise was in Europe and we didn’t bring our cell phones with us.  Bad move since they offered us a lovely suite to give up our two rooms, the day before we sailed.  Would have taken that offer.

The one time we got a guarantee cabin it did not work out well.  We never got an upgrade offer,  and we thought we were assigned a great cabin on Caribe deck but it was right behind the bridge.....too far forward as the first two days had rough seas and the front of the ship moves up/down big time.  Let's think maybe 40' top to bottom.....so think about the floor of your cabin rising that much....?  My wife did not want to return to our cabin one evening.  We'll never do that again.....like midship too much.

13 hours ago, paul929207 said:

Once we were given an assignment. Then got two upsells which we declined. Then we got an upgrade from ocean view to a window mini. 

Nice upgrade. We've sailed in a window mini and loved the room in the cabin. No balcony but lots of space.

The OP asked about assignments. As a rule, cruise line has finished  selling using lower fares to attract pax and shuffling cabins via upsales have stopped. They now start plugging the guarantees into the random vacant cabins. All this is usually done after final payment, so any "empty" cabin when the ship sails has been in fact paid for and can not be sold again. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

What is a window mini?  What ships have them?

The Island and Coral have several mini suites all the way forward on 2 decks with a window only.

What would have been the balcony space is incorporated into the interior of the cabin.

I think there are 8 of them, 4 on each deck with 2 on each side of the ship.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The Island and Coral have several mini suites all the way forward on 2 decks with a window only.

What would have been the balcony space is incorporated into the interior of the cabin.

I think there are 8 of them, 4 on each deck with 2 on each side of the ship.

If you were booking a mini suite would you know there's no balcony?  I'm sailing on Coral next month but booked my mini on the stern so I should be good.

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If you were booking a mini suite would you know there's no balcony?  I'm sailing on Coral next month but booked my mini on the stern so I should be good.

Yes it is noted very well.

Go on the deck plans and check it out.

Baja and Caribe 201 202 203 204

51 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes it is noted very well.

Go on the deck plans and check it out.

Baja and Caribe 201 202 203 204

Thanks, I see it is a specific category of "MY."  It got me worried that unknowingly, I'd end up with a mini with no balcony sometime.  Do you know is it only Island and Coral?

Just now, Daniel A said:

Thanks, I see it is a specific category of "MY."  It got me worried that unknowingly, I'd end up with a mini with no balcony sometime.  Do you know is it only Island and Coral?

As far as I know regarding mini's I think so.

The lack of a balcony is an issue but the extra space is pretty cool. On those ships you are also only a few steps away from the forward observation decks. There is no furniture on those decks but they are a great place to check out the canal during a Panama Canal transit. The naturalist is generally on that observation deck for his commentary during the transit.