*Live* from the Eurodam - Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas

seamist

Thanks for your excellent blog about this cruise. Friends of ours are on it, so I'm traveling along with you (and them!)

To clarify the room situation which seems to be a big part of this blog, I'd like to clarify things a bit.  You are in a "K" inside which are the narrow, weird insides.  The "J" inside cabins are awesome, but on the Main Deck (which we liked since they are smoother sailing if in bumpy weather...which we were in one time in them.)  They are large square cabins with an L-shaped couch and easy to see-into closets. We've had them on the Nieuw Amsterdam for our whole family going to AK and they fit folks extremely well...check out photos of them on another website to see.  

Also...to clarify the "verandah" difference...it's more useful to (in your mind) refer to them as "3-drawer desk" cabins vs. "9-drawer desk" cabins.  The smaller ones are those on the larger ships that also have Signature Suites as an option before the higher end Neptunes.  The larger verandahs (9-drawer desks) are found on the smaller ships (Veendam, Volendam, etc.) where they are the only option before the Neptunes.  I hope this clarifies these to people. ALWAYS check deck plans!  

Sounds like you're having great weather..and certainly great food! Thanks for taking the time (and money) to put this blog up! 

Found my old Eurodam J Cabin photos

EurodamJCabin-2.jpg

EurodamJCabin.jpg

Edited by janmcn
  • Like 1

Ha...for little kids with the unending lights of AK, this ended up perfect...littlest (4) was in overhead bunk, 10-year old was in the pullout couch. Shutting off the lights, let the kids sleep while mom and dad had the "map lights" to read by, etc. They loved it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tommui987 said:

What sort of camera are you using? Pictures are so sharp!

And (dumb question) how do you post your photos onto your posting?

Thanks!

It’s an IPad Pro.....just shows up at the bottom “Click to choose files”.  Love this thing.\

3 hours ago, cccole said:

I have just read your postings from start to page 5.  Thank you for letting us enjoy this cruise with you.  Will you be buying flowers in Hilo for your cabin?  And, re your cabin...can your TA contact HAL and try to arrange for a change?  

Your posts and photos are wonderful...thank you.  Cherie

No, no change TA or otherwise, its fine we have adjusted.  And yes I did buy flowers! And coffee, can’t come to Hawaii and not buy coffee!

81029B7E-F526-44E7-94CC-F3249702788A.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, janmcn said:

Thanks for your excellent blog about this cruise. Friends of ours are on it, so I'm traveling along with you (and them!)

To clarify the room situation which seems to be a big part of this blog, I'd like to clarify things a bit.  You are in a "K" inside which are the narrow, weird insides.  The "J" inside cabins are awesome, but on the Main Deck (which we liked since they are smoother sailing if in bumpy weather...which we were in one time in them.)  They are large square cabins with an L-shaped couch and easy to see-into closets. We've had them on the Nieuw Amsterdam for our whole family going to AK and they fit folks extremely well...check out photos of them on another website to see.  

Also...to clarify the "verandah" difference...it's more useful to (in your mind) refer to them as "3-drawer desk" cabins vs. "9-drawer desk" cabins.  The smaller ones are those on the larger ships that also have Signature Suites as an option before the higher end Neptunes.  The larger verandahs (9-drawer desks) are found on the smaller ships (Veendam, Volendam, etc.) where they are the only option before the Neptunes.  I hope this clarifies these to people. ALWAYS check deck plans!  

Sounds like you're having great weather..and certainly great food! Thanks for taking the time (and money) to put this blog up! 

Found my old Eurodam J Cabin photos

EurodamJCabin-2.jpg

EurodamJCabin.jpg

Thanks for all that info!  Should have met up with you prior to booking - 😆 Oh well, now we know.  Probably won’t do GTY cabins anymore - we’ll just look at the deck plans and pick them.

Back from our day in Hilo now relaxing on board, it is HOT out there.  Navigator app said 109 :classic_huh:  that can’t be right.  But definitely a hot sunny day, can’t complain about the Hawaii weather this go around that’s for sure.  A view of Hilo from the ship:

05E6D301-95E3-40EC-9C19-6703A3EA1D65.jpeg

Hi FlorenceItaly.

We are looking at Booking the E631 cabin on Emerald Princess for a cruise of the med in Sept 2019

I saw on another post that you had booked this cabin.

Are you able to tell us how obstructed the view was ? 

We found this online, but just want to confirm that its the same cabin.
https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Emerald-Princess&cabin=E631

Many Thanks
Regards Russ and Keri Honnor

1 hour ago, seamist said:

Thank you!  An FYI for future Hilo visitors, $17 plus $2 for a vase at WalMart.

You might consider buying flowers at the Hilo market for your room. They will supply a vase of some type and VERY reasonable.

30 minutes ago, RHNZ1 said:

Hi FlorenceItaly.

We are looking at Booking the E631 cabin on Emerald Princess for a cruise of the med in Sept 2019

I saw on another post that you had booked this cabin.

Are you able to tell us how obstructed the view was ? 

We found this online, but just want to confirm that its the same cabin.
https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Emerald-Princess&cabin=E631

Many Thanks
Regards Russ and Keri Honnor

I am sorry to say that we did not end up taking the cruise.  I did do a lot of research and this is one of the better obstructed view cabins.  I do not think you will be disappointed.  Have you been to Renmar's site? Here is a link:

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/crown-princess/cabins-601--633

3 hours ago, janmcn said:

To clarify the room situation which seems to be a big part of this blog, I'd like to clarify things a bit.  You are in a "K" inside which are the narrow, weird insides.  The "J" inside cabins are awesome, but on the Main Deck (which we liked since they are smoother sailing if in bumpy weather...which we were in one time in them.)  They are large square cabins with an L-shaped couch and easy to see-into closets. 

To clarify further, not all K-cabins (on the Vista and Signature ships) are created equal.
Both the J- and K-cabins on Main Deck have the same
huge footprint. The only difference is location, where the K-cabins are aft of the aft elevator (quiet back there, but a long walk home at night if you stay out to play after dinner).

There are also those
smaller K-cabins on higher decks. Why they command the same price is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I am sorry to say that we did not end up taking the cruise.  I did do a lot of research and this is one of the better obstructed view cabins.  I do not think you will be disappointed.  Have you been to Renmar's site? Here is a link:

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/crown-princess/cabins-601--633

Thanks so much for the prompt reply

Sorry to hear you didnt get to it. 
Yes that was the link we saw. Isn't the internet wonderful !
Bon Voyage for your next trip 🙂

We are now sailing on our way south towards Fanning Island.  Saw a whale off the starboard bow!  The supplies passengers have been donating for the residents of Fanning Island has been growing, then shrinking (assuming crew is removing and packing), then growing again.  Think there was a good response👍

72023053-3563-44C8-AAF6-663CCD7C72E0.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nancy&Frank said:

Is the Walmart within walking distance to the ship terminal ?

Thanks in advance for your response.  I am loving your on board review.

Like Florenceitaly, I will be on the 51 Day Tales of the South Pacific in October.

We docked at Pier 2 in Honolulu and there is a smaller WalMart abt a 15 min walk that we walked to since the larger WalMart shuttle wasn’t running.  We then took the Hilo Hattie shuttle and there is a Target close by there.