ice wine

emmylou

We are going on Island Princess to Alaska leaving from Vancouver.Can anyone tell me if it's possible to purchase ice wine on board and if not can we purchase it in Vancouver and take it on board with us.also what is a good

place to purchase it if necessasary.

emmylou

Having been on Princess before I have never ever seen Icewine on their wine lists. However, when you are in Vancouver it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on a fine bottle or two of Canadian Icewine. I'm from Ontario so I'm bias towards our icewine, but to be honest, BC wines are amazing and I've had several different bottles of BC icewine. You are certainly allowed to bring icewine onboard since Princess allows wine.

Here's the site for BC Liquor stores. You'll find all sorts of information on store locations, BC wines etc. Check out the Expert Advice section for more info on icewine.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en

Here's the map and listing of the stores in downtown Vancouver. The store at Thurlow and Alberni has some great staff who know their stuff and can offer recommendations to suit your taste and budget.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/storelocations?region=Lower+Mainland&location=Vancouver+-+Downtown

TorontoTL,

Thank you very much.We were in Washington State this year and were introduced to icewine.I loved it but cannot buy it here in the state of New Jersey.

emmylou

Ice wines are usually listed under Dessert Wines on the menu because of their sweetness. I'm surprised that you can't purchase good quality ice wines in NJ as we did when we previously lived there.

We now live in the Finger Lakes Region of NYS and the choices of ice wines at each of the different wineries is incredible. The only problem is they are very expensive and the bottles are typically tall and very slim.:(

Julia

Emmylou: I remember reading about ice wine on the Alaska board last year. Go to that board and put in the search this forum ice wine and scroll down to last April 2005. There is a whole thread about ice wine.

Marilyn

Thank you all for so much information.I will get some not only for the trip but to be able to bring home as well.

Juliadlf,

I have been all over and cannot find it.I even tried Thomasela's and Renault wineries and they don't make it.I went on line to a company in Seattle that ships wine and they called me to tell me New Jersey is one of the few states they can't ship to because of laws.I always have had wine shipped from California with no problem unfortionately I haven't been able to find icewine there.Do you remember where you bought it??

mpw2000,

thank you so much for those sights,you made my day.

emmylou :D

What's Icewine?:confused:

Ice wine is readily available in Europe at a price.

Over here it is German wine made from extremely ripe grapes, left on the vine till late Autumn (Fall)/Winter when the grapes are naturally frozen on the vine. The resulting wine is exceptionally sweet and is usually sold in half bottle size .375 litre.

It's wonderful

Hi Emmy! Glad you asked about placed to buy wine before boarding the Island and it looks like the recommended location is right around the corner from where Margie and I are staying :)

Ice Wine is a little too sweet for me but I will be ready to shop for some nice BC wines to enjoy at dinner!

Definitely look for the various outstanding Ontario Ice Wines and be sure it has VQA on the label, which is the notation for outstanding quality and ensures it meets strict standards and is made from 100% Ontario grapes. Inniskillin winery has one of the best Ice Wines and they are available in most duty free locations.

For those that don't know, in addition to Ice Wine, the Ontario VQA varietal wines are absolutely fantastic and world class. In particular, the Chardonnay, Riesling and Pinot Noir grown in the Niagara Region are almost unbeatable. Make sure you try some....you'll be hooked!

JandD Mom

I live in southern N.J. also in Deptford.If you can tell me where to buy it I would be eternally greatful.I have tried some of the liquer stores even Sams Club but all say they don't handle it.

emmylou

JandD Mom

I live in southern N.J. also in Deptford.If you can tell me where to buy it I would be eternally greatful.I have tried some of the liquer stores even Sams Club but all say they don't handle it.

emmylou

Emmylou,

I have purchased it at Total Wine and Spirits on Rt. 38 in Cherry Hill. It's in the shopping center where Tower Records and Sam Ash (and Chuckie Cheese) is near the mall. I bought it there a while ago so I would call before making a special trip.

Also, you can try Moore Brothers in Pennsauken. I have not been there but they are a true wine store with guys who know everything and don't try to sell you the most expensive stuff they have. I would call there first too.

The brand I have is Inniskillin.

Good luck!

Ice wine is realy great. Each Canadian province thinks their own wine is the best!

I appologize for bad directions .. but here goes...

When you get on the ship at Canada place .. there is an area called 'Gas Town' about a 5 minute walk from the ship. There is a great store there for ice wine.

I am not sure however when you board the ship if they will let you back off again .. so you may want to make the run prior to checkin!

From the Canada Place .. go back to the Fairmont Hotel. At the corner turn LEFT and walk about 3-4 blocks... you will walk under a RR (or something) overpass). There is a street that comes in on the left side.. so you angle down to the left. You are now in Gas Town. As I recall within the first block on the left hand side is a wine store . .and they have a big sign 'Ice Wine'.

Do not be afraid of the prices as you only drink a little bit!

Also, most people tend to buy what they normally drink. More people drink white wine, so they buy white ice wine .. TRY THE REDS! They are much more interesting than the white in my opinion!

Ice wine is realy great. Each Canadian province thinks their own wine is the best!

I appologize for bad directions .. but here goes...

When you get on the ship at Canada place .. there is an area called 'Gas Town' about a 5 minute walk from the ship. There is a great store there for ice wine.

I am not sure however when you board the ship if they will let you back off again .. so you may want to make the run prior to checkin!

From the Canada Place .. go back to the Fairmont Hotel. At the corner turn LEFT and walk about 3-4 blocks... you will walk under a RR (or something) overpass). There is a street that comes in on the left side.. so you angle down to the left. You are now in Gas Town. As I recall within the first block on the left hand side is a wine store . .and they have a big sign 'Ice Wine'.

Do not be afraid of the prices as you only drink a little bit!

Also, most people tend to buy what they normally drink. More people drink white wine, so they buy white ice wine .. TRY THE REDS! They are much more interesting than the white in my opinion!

Make that at least a twenty minute walk, well worth it though. john

Archived