Antarctica and Polar Ice Cap cruises after Jan 2022?

Ken the cruiser

We traveled on the Star Princess in 2009 to Antarctica with another couple who we travel with quite a bit. On this trip we booked balcony cabins on opposite sides of the ship, both near the aft elevators. This way we could easily go back and forth to get port and starboard views without being on deck and freezing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gwendy said:

On Celebrity only use of outside pool was for penguin plunge.  You dive in, swim across pool and get out frozen.lol

Outside decks were too cold to stay out for long, even rugged up.  We didn’t use our balcony in Antarctica except to rush out and take a photo.  Spent a lot of time gazing through the closed doors.

Most magical few days ever.

On our Holland America Antarctica Cruise (2015) we saw the entertainment crew out on the bow one day when we were off the archipelgo. They ran out all in swim wear and various forms of boots. Well off came the boots and they all one-by-one jumped into the crew pool that was on the bow. Needless to say, they did not stay out long, as they did not have much clothes on. 

While it was frigid on the outside decks for viewing, we bundled up and used chemical hand warmers in out boots and in between the 2 pairs of gloves we wore. The hand warmers really helped. Never really had any serious ice issues on our balcony or the decks. 

Have a good balcony story. After one morning after about 8 hours of viewing outside. We headed inside to get some warmth and food. So first we stopped by the cabin for a shower and change of clothes. As I was drying off I looked outside through the balcony and saw an amazing site. There was a pod of Killer Whales that had captured and were in the process of eating a whale calf. I grabbed my camera and started to rush out to the balcony, when the DW yelled at me to put on some clothes first! So I reluctantly did so and then rushed out, soon joined by the DW. The captain kept the ship by the pod for about 90 minutes until the Killer Whales had finished off their meal. The ship's photo staff got it all on tape too and included it on the DVD of the cruise. Only time we have bought the 'cruise' DVD.

Best cruise ever. Going back in 2023 for another round. Hopefully this one will go off. 

6 hours ago, Allograft said:

@erber, @beg3yrs & @drowelf

Well that settles it, balcony it will be. Youse have thoroughly convinced me.

You won't regret it! We also saw several whales right outside our balcony playing around and got a great video of it. It was magical. And when we saw it snowing briefly on our balcony....It was great. And the first time we saw an iceberg we happened to be in our cabin....It is worth it for so many reasons!

21 hours ago, drowelf said:

On our Holland America Antarctica Cruise (2015) we saw the entertainment crew out on the bow one day when we were off the archipelgo. They ran out all in swim wear and various forms of boots. Well off came the boots and they all one-by-one jumped into the crew pool that was on the bow. Needless to say, they did not stay out long, as they did not have much clothes on. 

While it was frigid on the outside decks for viewing, we bundled up and used chemical hand warmers in out boots and in between the 2 pairs of gloves we wore. The hand warmers really helped. Never really had any serious ice issues on our balcony or the decks. 

Have a good balcony story. After one morning after about 8 hours of viewing outside. We headed inside to get some warmth and food. So first we stopped by the cabin for a shower and change of clothes. As I was drying off I looked outside through the balcony and saw an amazing site. There was a pod of Killer Whales that had captured and were in the process of eating a whale calf. I grabbed my camera and started to rush out to the balcony, when the DW yelled at me to put on some clothes first! So I reluctantly did so and then rushed out, soon joined by the DW. The captain kept the ship by the pod for about 90 minutes until the Killer Whales had finished off their meal. The ship's photo staff got it all on tape too and included it on the DVD of the cruise. Only time we have bought the 'cruise' DVD.

Best cruise ever. Going back in 2023 for another round. Hopefully this one will go off. 

What ship? And when in 2023?

On 8/3/2022 at 5:27 AM, erber said:

We went on Princess South America/Antarctica cruise in Dec. 2019 and had a balcony room. We spent a huge amount of time on our balcony and also on the open decks. The temps were in the low 30s F and it even snowed briefly one morning, but we were fine bundled up with layers. We would scoot into our room to warm up every so often. It was the most amazing cruise-- the scenery was just breathtaking. I am glad we had the balcony. We used it so much that we are booking a balcony to go on a transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton via several ports in Iceland. We think the scenery justifies the balcony.

In Jan, middle of summer, lowest temp was -4 C.   Bearable for short periods, when well  bundled up.  Absolutely amazing wildlife, I went out onto balcony early one morning and a Minke whale was looking up at me as if to say what are you doing?

We saw seals floating past on ice floes, a leopard seal hunting* penguins and of course so many penguins “skipping” through the water.  And we we were lucky to see and hear an iceberg calving.  Best cruise ever.