Status match question

solomio

I booked my very first MSC cruise yesterday. (Seaside leaving this July out of Miami). Obviously, I only found out after booking (by browsing through this fine forum) that I can get my status matched from other cruise lines and maybe save an additional 5%. I have sailed with Carnival and Royal Caribbean in the past. Not a big cruiser, only did 2 cruises on each line. Was just wondering if using one status over the other has any advantage or extra perks. On Carnival, my status is Red ( 11 VIFP points), and RCI I am Gold (12 points)

3 hours ago, solomio said:

I booked my very first MSC cruise yesterday. (Seaside leaving this July out of Miami). Obviously, I only found out after booking (by browsing through this fine forum) that I can get my status matched from other cruise lines and maybe save an additional 5%. I have sailed with Carnival and Royal Caribbean in the past. Not a big cruiser, only did 2 cruises on each line. Was just wondering if using one status over the other has any advantage or extra perks. On Carnival, my status is Red ( 11 VIFP points), and RCI I am Gold (12 points)

My guess is that as you have only done 2 cruises on each line that you are the bottom tier on both, so you would probably match with the bottom tier on  MSC. which is CLASSIC but you may get SILVER. it's not the points you have that count its the equivalence in perks between your chosen line and MSC that matters.

The perks on MSC don't add up to very much unless you get matched to the top tier (BLACK) and not many do now as they appear to have tightened up on giving it away so I would use either card and get your 5% discount..

the big perk for most people is the 5% discount which all levels get.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

You can use hotel programs for status match as well. Marriott Lifetime Platinum (now called Titanium Elite in their new BonVoy program) was matched to Black Status by MSC. Don't forget about your credit cards -- my husband had SPG/Starwood Gold from our Amex Platinum and received Gold by MSC as a match. (I'm laughing typing all these colors in just 2 sentences...) Use whatever you have that is highest.

Don’t bother with the match program, it’s a joke!

Did the match 2 years ago, Carnival Platinum to MSC Gold. However on the ship we didn’t get any of the perks we were entitled to. When we tried to speak with guest services we were told too bad and to write a letter to the home office.

MSC is the worst cruise line operating!

7 hours ago, pzsdd6 said:

Don’t bother with the match program, it’s a joke!

Did the match 2 years ago, Carnival Platinum to MSC Gold. However on the ship we didn’t get any of the perks we were entitled to. When we tried to speak with guest services we were told too bad and to write a letter to the home office.

MSC is the worst cruise line operating!

Really? We also matched our Carnival Platinum to MSC Gold. Got all the perks as advertised, including the 5% loyalty match fare discount and all the other things. Personally, I’m grateful that MSC has this program in place, specially considering that NO other cruise line does it! 

It seems so odd that guest service seem wouldn’t honor the perks. Was your card gold? Mine was. That would’ve been enough for guest services to confirm your status. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

You can use hotel programs for status match as well. Marriott Lifetime Platinum (now called Titanium Elite in their new BonVoy program) was matched to Black Status by MSC. Don't forget about your credit cards -- my husband had SPG/Starwood Gold from our Amex Platinum and received Gold by MSC as a match. (I'm laughing typing all these colors in just 2 sentences...) Use whatever you have that is highest.

I matched my Marriott Gold Elite to MSC Gold.  Most of our reward programs are in my name, so I don't know if they'll match my wife too.  Carnival Gold hopefully would at least match her to tier 2.

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2019 at 6:01 AM, Best Cat Mom said:

SS - My husband doesn't use his accounts since mine are higher. But Amex Plat granted him SPG Gold (and Hilton something too) and MSC took it -- guess they don't care if you have any points in the account you use to match.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:38 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I matched my Marriott Gold Elite to MSC Gold.  Most of our reward programs are in my name, so I don't know if they'll match my wife too.  Carnival Gold hopefully would at least match her to tier 2.

Hi there, would y'all mind sharing when the match took place? Trying to consolidate all the various status match equivalencies for my document here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19GS-jpDkoAsPFpIoKqQ8Mxj9-sXOJLqe0Ygfyzz1AwI/edit#gid=0

I also have a thread about all the different status match equivalencies in this subforum as well.

2 hours ago, GenghisQuan said:

Hi there, would y'all mind sharing when the match took place? Trying to consolidate all the various status match equivalencies for my document here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19GS-jpDkoAsPFpIoKqQ8Mxj9-sXOJLqe0Ygfyzz1AwI/edit#gid=0

I also have a thread about all the different status match equivalencies in this subforum as well.

September 2018.

We booked MSC during a controversy, as they dropped the 12 free drinks from their Fantastica upgrade.  I felt this was a violate of terms, and initially they were still advertising it as a perk (and charging in some cases), into 2021, even though the coupons had already been scrapped.  Some were told without notice, mid-cruise, that the coupons were suddenly void.  That was a enough excitement for us, and we dropped out.

On 5/28/2019 at 11:25 AM, GenghisQuan said:

We were granted our status matches last year -- I think in June or July of 2018.

• 3 years later...
20 hours ago, crazy.cruzer said:

I know this is old, but its worth a shot.  Does anyone know how many "points" you receive when you go Carnival Platinum to MSC Gold?   Do you just start at 4300 and work your way up from there????

They gave us the minimum points for the tier.  We matched Princess Platinum last year and got 4300 points.