NAVIGATOR OTS - Just returned

12 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

That would be great, but I would be very surprised if RC does not gut the fitness center like on Navigator.  I don't think the bean counters can resist all those new staterooms being added.

True and I would be surprised as well, but somehow they resisted with MARINER.  

7 minutes ago, eroller said:

True and I would be surprised as well, but somehow they resisted with MARINER.  

I think Mariner was just lucky with timing.  RC may not have been totally ready with the fitness center relocation plans far enough in advance to implement that on Mariner.   So we probably have 5 years with a decent fitness center on Mariner before the next dry dock.

21 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I think Mariner was just lucky with timing.  RC may not have been totally ready with the fitness center relocation plans far enough in advance to implement that on Mariner.   So we probably have 5 years with a decent fitness center on Mariner before the next dry dock.

The fitness center relocation comes as no surprise, but the greatly reduced spa size is a surprise. It’s a big revenue producer and the trend today is larger and more elaborate spas.  The spa now on NAVIGATOR is something you would expect to see 20+ years ago.  Basically some treatment rooms with no views.  Really no other amenities.  

I suppose the additional cabins equate to even more revenue than the spa, or Royal determined that spa utilization is greatly reduced on short sailings?   Maybe both reasons.  

Edited by eroller

31 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I would agree with this.

I think you have to be very careful specializing a ship for a specific market segment, whether that be short cruises or a specific region.  Chances are that ship will not cater to that market segment for its entire career.  A most recent example is NORWEGIAN JOY.  Highly specialized for China, NCL is now having to spend millions to de-asianize her and bring her to North America.  

I remember when EMPRESS OF THE SEAS made her debut as NORIC EMPRESS, she was designed and built for the short cruise market.  This meant a very small pool and pool deck (not to mention cabins) because she was going to be in port most of the time.   Those design details have created challenges during her career, but she has found a niche with Cuba ... for now.   

Edited by eroller

On 3/20/2019 at 6:23 PM, eroller said:

Attached is a link to all the pics, including the Cruise Compass.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eroller/albums/72157707692539744

eroller,

Thanks so much for all the information, photos, Cruise Compass, etc.  How early were folks able to get on Navigator?

-- Kim

Edited by KAZ35

44 minutes ago, KAZ35 said:

eroller,

Thanks so much for all the information, photos, Cruise Compass, etc.  How early were folks able to get on Navigator?

-- Kim

I got on around 1pm, but I heard they started boarding around 11am or soon after.  

On 3/19/2019 at 8:40 PM, eroller said:

I also like the newly redesigned SeaPass cards.  So much better and overdue for a graphics change.  The old style cards were still being used on my MAJESTY cruise just a month ago.  

D598385D-47CE-4F1A-A877-A0721F663C26.jpeg

Ohhh, I'm bummed we didn't have these on Indy - I look forward to getting one of the redesigned cards one day too 🙂

49 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Ohhh, I'm bummed we didn't have these on Indy - I look forward to getting one of the redesigned cards one day too 🙂

You will just have to book another cruise!   They do look so much nicer.  

1 hour ago, eroller said:

I got on around 1pm, but I heard they started boarding around 11am or soon after.  

As for parking, did you just pay the $22 per day at the Port of Miami?  And if so, do you recall which Terminal that Navigator was at?  Was the parking garage nearby?  Thanks in advance for the info.

-- Kim

Edited by KAZ35

We were on the cruise immediately after you, and echo a lot of the positives that you mentioned. (I'll write up my own review as well.)  Funny thing, our head waiter mentioned that boarding of our cruise was delayed because passengers on your cruise partied so late the last night that they couldn't get them up and off the ship in the morning.  Didn't impact us one bit though because we arrived around 1:30pm with ZERO lines at security or to check in.  We walked straight to our room and dropped off our stuff before starting to enjoy the amazing ship.

The cruise that started yesterday was a 5 night chartered ZUMBA cruise.  They were plastering Zumba logos all over the place and were pulling out racks and racks of Zumba clothes as were were disembarking yesterday morning.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KAZ35 said:

As for parking, did you just pay the $22 per day at the Port of Miami?  And if so, do you recall which Terminal that Navigator was at?  Was the parking garage nearby?  Thanks in advance for the info.

-- Kim

We departed and arrived at Terminal G, which is the original Royal Caribbean terminal they have used ever since VOYAGER OF THE SEAS made her debut there.  Unfortunately we were not able to dock at Royal's new Terminal A as that was being used by ALLURE when we left, and MARINER when we arrived back.  That terminal has facial recognition technology but Terminal G does not.  

At Terminal G there is a parking garage right across from the terminal.  Very convenient and that is where we parked.  We all live in Fort Lauderdale so 4 of us shared a ride and split the parking cost.  Not bad at all.  Very easy to get in and out of the port.  No issues there.  

On 3/21/2019 at 12:00 PM, eroller said:

I think you have to be very careful specializing a ship for a specific market segment, whether that be short cruises or a specific region.  

I tend to agree with this.  However, judging how awesome the Navigator was for our longer 9 night cruise, I think it's in good shape for longer and shorter cruises.  I'm just sad that they aren't keeping it doing the same itineraries that it's doing now.  Would love to do more 9 night ABC cruises on the Navigator!  To me, the fitness center and spa lost out in the battle of priorities for more passengers, long or short cruises.  😞

Dan

On 3/26/2019 at 8:44 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

I tend to agree with this.  However, judging how awesome the Navigator was for our longer 9 night cruise, I think it's in good shape for longer and shorter cruises.  I'm just sad that they aren't keeping it doing the same itineraries that it's doing now.  Would love to do more 9 night ABC cruises on the Navigator!  To me, the fitness center and spa lost out in the battle of priorities for more passengers, long or short cruises.  😞

Dan

I would agree and also I would have no issues sailing NAVIGATOR on a longer cruise.  The spa was my only real disappointment and no ship is perfect.  I’m going to assume the new fitness center will be decent and at least it will have sea views.  Shame it wasn’t finished for my cruise but I’m sure it is by now.  

We really enjoyed the Navigator of the Seas in December (before refurb)  when we cruised on her but did notice there were much less staff on board and a lot of trash on the pool deck.  How was it when you were on board?

Edited by Colorado Babe

2 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

We really enjoyed the Navigator of the Seas in December (before refurb)  when we cruised on her but did notice there were much less staff on board and a lot of trash on the pool deck.  How was it when you were on board?

Not OP, but I didn't notice any level of trash around the pool deck last week on our 9 nighter.  There were promotional photo shots still being done around the pool deck some of the days, so they may have been extra diligent, but it just seemed overall that the crew was doing really well.  The ship seemed well staffed as well.

Dan

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 11:29 AM, Colorado Babe said:

No trash on deck and the ship seemed well staffed.  I rarely had to wait for a drink and that is a good indication of staffing to me.  

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, ken_nyc said:

Does anyone know how many outlets the Balcony Cabin have on this ship?
Thank you in advance!

At the desk there are two US 110V outlets and one Euro 220V outlet.  In the bathroom there is one combo US/Euro outlet for electric shavers only.