Konningsdam in 2020?

deliver42

I looked at HAL's website last night thinking about a 7 day Caribbean cruise for Dec, 2020. It showed the Nieuw Statendam doing 11 and 12 day Southern Caribbean cruises, as the Konningsdam is this year, but no mention at all for the Koningsdam. Only the Veendam and Nieuw Amsterdam out of FLL. I may be interested in the Nieuw Amsterdam, but wondering what they are doing with the Koningsdam for the 2020 season?

Wow! Thank you for the information. I was hoping for the Nieuw Statendam or the Koningsdam. I'll think about the Nieuw Amsterdam. Looks like a beautiful ship also, though smaller than I'm used to. So are the new ones, but closer.

19 minutes ago, boards said:

wouldn't the new ships be able to go thru the new locks but at a very high cost. making the cruise more expensive than it is now?

No, KDam has an issue with it's lifeboats extending too far out for using the new locks at Panama. It is far to big for the old locks. Has been discussed here several times. I am not sure if it is fixed with N. Statendam, but understand the ship under construction will address the problem.

And the fees for the new locks are a little higher than the old locks, like $20 or $30 per berth. Not extreme.

After her summer Alaska season in 2020 it is most likely that the Konigsdam will homeport in San Diego for fall 2020 to spring 2021 doing Circle Hawaii and Mexican Riviera cruises. These itineraries have not yet been released. Until they are all we can do is speculate. HAL does not publish a list of deployment opening dates like other lines so it just a wait until it happens game.