Dole Plantation tour

MastaChiz

Hello all!

My wife and I are sailing on Carnival to Hawaii next January. We have never been, and are trying to make the best of our time there. We've heard good things about the Dole Plantation, and are interested in going to tour it. Does anyone know which port Carnival docks at in Honolulu? We're thinking of renting a car to visit the plantation as well as drive around. Any recommendations for rental car services and such? I appreciate any and all help :)

There's only one port in Oahu, Honolulu. But I am guessing you are looking for the pier? In general Carnival docks at pier 2. Most cruise ships dock at pier 2, unless they are a smaller ship and there's another ship in town using Pier 2. I've only ever seen Carnival at Pier 2, though. Either way it doesn't make any difference as there's no car rentals at the pier so you'd be picked up and brought to the car rental company to get the car. We find we get the best rates through discount hawaii car rental on the other islands, though haven't used them for Oahu.

• 3 months later...

Dole plantation is nice. I recommend having one of the employees cut a pineapple for you ($7) they put it in a Styrofoam plate box and I swear its at least 2 pineapples. You have to ask the employee (don't go to where the food is) Also, be sure to ask them to pick out a pineapple to take home!

I don't recommend Budget (car was junk) but be prepared for lots of traffic on H! and H2. Easy to get to the Dole plantation but its near Schofield Barracks and North shore. Schofield will be busy between 3-5 and north shore is always busy!

Great trip, enjoy!

The Dole Plantation is on the "far side".....I remember it well, and that was 50 years ago. I took a bus tour....one of the "circle island" tours, and it stopped at the plantation "Hospitality Stop" which was at that time a grass-hut type building with a few picnic tables. You could order different pineapple "treats" there and I ordered a drink, like a punch type drink, served in a cold hollowed out pineapple. It was out of this world good! It was so good, I ordered a second. I would have ordered another but the bus was about to leave without me.

Fast forward 50 years. My wife and I will take the same tour the day before our cruise out of Honolulu. I googled the Dole Plantation and the stop is still there but it has expanded and modernized. I hope they still have those drinks!!

Enjoy your tour....that is a special place.

So many better things to do in Honolulu other than going all the way up through the centre of Oahu to get to the Dole Plantation.  So very overpriced as well.  If you are driving the Northshore in your rental car and want to stop in for a few minutes, fine, but really, don't make an express trip for that place.    If your first time to Honolulu, sure rent a car, there is an Enterprise on Ala Moana, just google Enterprise.  You will have to take a cab to the car location, however.  

You could rent a car and perhaps just drive up the East side, pop over to Diamond Head, climb it and then proceed to Hanauma Bay, visit the fish and then go on to any of the lovely beaches above Diamond Head as far a Kailua and then head back and ditch the car and get to your ship.    The Highways to the West after leaving the cruise ship are nightmarish in terms of traffic.  We were in Honolulu several days prior to our last cruise and there was NEVER A TIME when HI, H2 were wall to wall traffic.  

So best advice, pick a couple of things to see closer to town or one thing like the lovely lovely beach at Kailua Kona and just chill and leave the Plantation to a time when you will be spending several nights on the island.  Just my thoughts having just returned from Hawaii.

I like using Discount Hawaii Car Rental because the rates are good and there is usually no charge for 1-2 extra drivers.  I don't know how much time you have but, depending on your interests, there are so many things to do on Oahu.  Cherie