Nieuw Statendam may be suffering engine problems, not as bad as Viking Sky!

Alphen

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

One of the videos showed a woman with a full leg brace leaving the helicopter; I assume that she was injured on the ship and not during evacuation (unless there are medics on the helicopter?)

One of the videos I saw on the news showed passengers and furniture sliding around. There must have been injuries sustained on board, and as someone else has said, it makes sense to airlift them first. Remember, the medical staff on board can stabilize injuries before the person is lifted off. They wouldn't depend on medical treatment like that being given on the helicopter. 

2 hours ago, Alphen said:

Was surprised to learn from an interview with one couple that was airlifted, that they ended up on shore, without passports. Do not know how Viking drills are, but during HAL drills, one of the things that are emphasized in bringing with you, are prescription medicine, glasses and identification and or travel documents, if I recall correctly. Since everybody is mentioning that situation on board was calm and very organized, it apparently pays to listen closely to these drills in the future! Having said that, going through the “real thing” in this case, no matter how much one prepares, you never know what one will do when dot dot dot dot, hits the fan.

I wonder if the situation developed so quickly that passengers were not able to return to the cabin to retrieve their essentials? I read a post on the ongoing thread on the Viking board that someone's relative had tried to enter their cabin (an ov or balcony, I think) to get their passport but were unable to do so because the cabin was so trashed. 

I quite agree with with you on the importance of listening closely during the drill!

37 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

One of the videos I saw on the news showed passengers and furniture sliding around. There must have been injuries sustained on board, and as someone else has said, it makes sense to airlift them first. Remember, the medical staff on board can stabilize injuries before the person is lifted off. They wouldn't depend on medical treatment like that being given on the helicopter. 

That was likely the case. My post was in response to Alphen who stated: "If based on this article alone, it is unfair to suggest that the evacuation by helicopter has led to injuries. " Because at least one person had a full knee brace upon arrival on shore, I assumed that her injuries had been sustained on the ship, and not as a result of the evacuation".

45 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

For anyone interested, Cheng has posted on the Viking board on  the Sky thread. As always, it’s interesting reading.

Thanks for posting this! As the thread continues to grow, here's a link to the page with the explanation. (page 37)