Nieuw Statendam may be suffering engine problems, not as bad as Viking Sky!

Alphen

Just read that the ship is slowly underway and being aided by a tug. They are still trying to take off passengers by helicopter, which sounds absolutely terrifying and has led to some injuries:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20572-viking-sky-under-own-power-and-sailing-for-molde.html

The following cruise is cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

My parents were also on that cruise. They were amazingly calm about it, and very complimentary about how it was all handled by HAL officers and crew.

Yeah we didn't have any complaints as to how this was all handled back in 04. When we reached Belfast as our last port before starting the crossing pretty much everyone knew that Karl was out there and wondered how it was going to effect our route. When we left Belfast we were supposed to go north and around Northern Ireland but was changed due to the poor weather conditions. I remember meeting up with people who had done the tour that included Giants Causeway and said the conditions were "not good". Instead we headed south along the East coast of Ireland and then started across the Atlantic in a way that was going to keep us out of harms way but despite the efforts we still ran into the problem we ended up with. No it wasn't fun and I have similar video of things moving across the floor and the sound of bottles and glasses falling and breaking.  Along with the video showing the motion we were experiencing due to our sea conditions. Yeah we were back on the Rotterdam for Christmas and New Years that December as when we found out that our friend was there we changed ships. Unfortunately we had such a bad trip because so many things happened including a situation we were involved with, we decided we wouldn't cruise on the Rotterdam anymore and since then we haven't. We have still been cruising but just doing it on the other ships and this past Holiday for Christmas and New Years we were on the Nieuw Statendam.

What a terrifying situation!! I hope all are taken to safety soon and the injured passengers have a swift recovery.

I know I will be doubling my attention at muster drill on my next cruise. You hope you never need the information, but this shows that bad situations can and do develop.

44 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I saw that report, too. A couple said they were lifted off in some kind of a sling hanging from the helicopter. Although the ship had been able to anchor, the report said they would be working through the night to get everyone off. Thank goodness for "midnight sun." It should be light very late.

One of the videos showed people sitting in lounges and wearing their life vests.

It's March 23rd, just 2 days after Spring EQUinox when daylight and nighttime are about EQUal... everywhere on the globe.  They will have about 12 hours of daylight, 12 hours of night time.  

I also saw the video of the people in their life vests in the lounge.... nice and warm, sheltered, a place where you can hear announcements, the crew can keep good control of the muster... unlike most HAL ships where muster stations are all outside. Only the 2 newest ships have indoor muster stations.  Those mustering outside on Lower Promenade deck will have waves, (cold) wind, water splashing over the rails, hard to stand up with the roll of the ship and no room to sit down... something I think of every time I have to do a muster drill on HAL, except on our last cruise, on Koningsdam.   Scares the willies out of me.  I may be done with the HAL small ships, we enjoyed Koningsdam very much.  

😇 👼  Blessings to all involved in this crisis... passengers, crew, rescuers and those staffing the on-land centers; may those injured be well cared for, and may all be able to return to their families very soon.  m--

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

I remember that incident well, and was thinking about it earlier. How fortunate that the engines were restarted and you were able to continue on safely.
I was aboard that same Rotterdam the previous year when we had 38 hours of 45' seas, and one wave that was 80'. People were toppled over in their chairs in the dining room, and the water tight doors on Upper Promenade were breeched.
I still have pictures of both events.

Today's action with the Viking ship is even more terrifying.

I too remember finding out about what had happened to the Rotterdam the year before  when you were on. But didn't find it till after we had returned home from our trip in 04. One event in our life that we have not forgotten.  Yeah seeing how close the Viking ship was to going aground is pretty scary. Our situation was pretty scary cause we were so far from land and sure you were too in 03. We were back on the Rotterdam for the 04-05 Holiday cruise but it was a pretty bad trip cause so many things happened. We also were involved. When they realized they had made made a terrible mistake involving us they tried to make up for it but we had already been so hurt by it all we wanted to leave the ship on the last day when we were in Key West but of course we stuck it out. Because of this we just decided that we wouldn't cruise on the Rotterdam any more and till this day we haven't. Have been on the other Dam Ships as there are plenty to pick from. Most recently we were on the Nieuw Statendam over the Holidays for 18 days.

4 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

It's March 23rd, just 2 days after Spring EQUinox when daylight and nighttime are about EQUal... everywhere on the globe.  They will have about 12 hours of daylight, 12 hours of night time.  

I also saw the video of the people in their life vests in the lounge.... nice and warm, sheltered, a place where you can hear announcements, the crew can keep good control of the muster... unlike most HAL ships where muster stations are all outside. Only the 2 newest ships have indoor muster stations.  Those mustering outside on Lower Promenade deck will have waves, (cold) wind, water splashing over the rails, hard to stand up with the roll of the ship and no room to sit down... something I think of every time I have to do a muster drill on HAL, except on our last cruise, on Koningsdam.   Scares the willies out of me.  I may be done with the HAL small ships, we enjoyed Koningsdam very much.  

😇 👼  Blessings to all involved in this crisis... passengers, crew, rescuers and those staffing the on-land centers; may those injured be well cared for, and may all be able to return to their families very soon.  m--

You're right, I forgot how early in the year it is. I think one news report called it a midnight sun cruise and I didn't think beyond that. 

I don't know where people usually do muster drill on Viking, but they couldn't possibly be out on deck in those conditions. HAL must have contingency plans for times when they can't muster on deck. Perhaps that's why at stage 2 they ask you to wait in your cabin for further announcements. They could announce indoor instructions, like stations one thorugh four go to the theater, etc. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

You're right, I forgot how early in the year it is. I think one news report called it a midnight sun cruise and I didn't think beyond that. 

I don't know where people usually do muster drill on Viking, but they couldn't possibly be out on deck in those conditions. HAL must have contingency plans for times when they can't muster on deck. Perhaps that's why at stage 2 they ask you to wait in your cabin for further announcements. They could announce indoor instructions, like stations one thorugh four go to the theater, etc. 

I applaud your optimism and creativity!  I'd like to hope you are right.  m--

In case anybody was wondering:

Nieuw Statendam Diesels4 diesel engines make MAK - type 12 VM43C 12 cyl. V-type of 12.800 kW. each-total output 51.200 kW. at 514 rpm

Viking Sky Diesels: 4 diesel engines make: MAN 2 type 9L32/44CR - 2 type 12V32/44CR - Total installed power: 23.520 kW at 720 rpm

Source: http://www.nedcruise.info

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just read that the ship is slowly underway and being aided by a tug. They are still trying to take off passengers by helicopter, which sounds absolutely terrifying and has led to some injuries:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20572-viking-sky-under-own-power-and-sailing-for-molde.html

The following cruise is cancelled.

If based on this article alone, it is unfair to suggest that the evacuation by helicopter has led to injuries. Since I myself have done this work, I can only say that airlifting is not without risks, but does not lead necessarily to injuries. Be assured that Norwegian crews are not novices in doing these types of rescues and are more than capable of performing such an operation.

If passengers were injured on board, it would only be without question that they would be lifted from the ship first, to have their injuries treated on shore.

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 1

I'm following the Viking Sky situation with great concern for all involved, but I still don't understand why the OP of this thread started by suggesting the Nieuw Statendam has engine problems.

Can the OP please explain that.

6 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

I'm following the Viking Sky situation with great concern for all involved, but I still don't understand why the OP of this thread started by suggesting the Nieuw Statendam has engine problems.

At the time of posting, the Nieuw Statendam was reported (by those on board) to suffer a total black out at 06:15. Situation was later slowly resolved, engine by engine, but causing her to miss HMC. She now reached PE safely on all of her engines, without delay. 

NS.jpg

Edited by Alphen

4 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

Not the OP, but the N Statendam did have engine problems.  Reported on these boards and on FB.  They had to skip HMC because of it and work on repairs at sea.

According to the news, about 400 passengers have been airlifted.

There are tugs trying to tow the ship to port and because of the towing it's too tricky to air lift so it appears the remaining passengers will remain on board as long as the tugs can get the ship safely to port.

A number of people have been hospitalized.  conditions on the ship were very dangerous and there were injuries because of ceilings/supports dropping, broken glass and moving furniture and plants.

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

According to the news, about 400 passengers have been airlifted.

There are tugs trying to tow the ship to port and because of the towing it's too tricky to air lift so it appears the remaining passengers will remain on board as long as the tugs can get the ship safely to port.

A number of people have been hospitalized.  conditions on the ship were very dangerous and there were injuries because of ceilings/supports dropping, broken glass and moving furniture and plants.

NRK, the Norwegian TV broadcasting corporation are broadcasting live all day, also on the internet. They are reporting nearly 500 are airlifted and the ship is estimated to arrive in Molde around 15:00 local time. During the broadcast, several guests from the US that had been airlifted, were interviewed about there experience, by NRK interviewers.

https://www.nrk.no/nyheter/cruiseskipet-_viking-sky_-1.14487440

Edited by Alphen

3 hours ago, Alphen said:

If based on this article alone, it is unfair to suggest that the evacuation by helicopter has led to injuries. Since I myself have done this work, I can only say that airlifting is not without risks, but does not lead necessarily to injuries. Be assured that Norwegian crews are not novices in doing these types of rescues and are more than capable of performing such an operation.

If passengers were injured on board, it would only be without question that they would be lifted from the ship first, to have their injuries treated on shore.

You are quite correct, the article was vague and it does make sense that they would airlift the injured, although the process as described sounded fairly brutal. And I am with you 100% that they know what they are doing. It just seems Mother Nature is not making it easy at all...

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You are quite correct, the article was vague and it does make sense that they would airlift the injured, although the process as described sounded fairly brutal. And I am with you 100% that they know what they are doing. It just seems Mother Nature is not making it easy at all...

Followed some live interviews with people from Seattle and from California that were hoisted and they were all 100% praising the Norwegians. Was surprised to hear that couples were lifted as a couple together in one hoist, so meaning that circumstances were secure enough for that, since in precarious situations, you normally would want to lift one person, accompanied by a rescue swimmer to guide along the way.

3 hours ago, Alphen said:

Update: 463 pax evac'ed from Viking Sky by five helicopters; that's got to be a record! Also appears, Canadian company CHC Helicopters (HQ in Richmond, BC with a SAR contract in Norway involving five Super Pimas) did most, if not all, of the evacs by helo. Awesome job by those crews under those conditions 

https://www.cp24.com/world/tugs-tow-norway-cruise-ship-after-463-rescued-17-injured-1.4349545

Image result for CHC Helicopters  Super Puma EC 225

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Update: 463 pax evac'ed from Viking Sky by five helicopters; that's got to be a record! Also appears, Canadian company CHC Helicopters (HQ in Richmond, BC with a SAR contract in Norway involving five Super Pimas) did most, if not all, of the evacs by helo. Awesome job by those crews under those conditions 

https://www.cp24.com/world/tugs-tow-norway-cruise-ship-after-463-rescued-17-injured-1.4349545

Image result for CHC Helicopters  Super Puma EC 225

CHC also did the massive evacuation to the Falklands on the Ponant cruise ship there, if my memory serves me correctly. Somewhere last year I believe.

Was surprised to learn from an interview with one couple that was airlifted, that they ended up on shore, without passports. Do not know how Viking drills are, but during HAL drills, one of the things that are emphasized in bringing with you, are prescription medicine, glasses and identification and or travel documents, if I recall correctly. Since everybody is mentioning that situation on board was calm and very organized, it apparently pays to listen closely to these drills in the future! Having said that, going through the “real thing” in this case, no matter how much one prepares, you never know what one will do when dot dot dot dot, hits the fan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alphen said:

One of the videos showed a woman with a full leg brace leaving the helicopter; I assume that she was injured on the ship and not during evacuation (unless there are medics on the helicopter?)

2 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

One of the videos showed a woman with a full leg brace leaving the helicopter; I assume that she was injured on the ship and not during evacuation (unless there are medics on the helicopter?)

Both could be yes, medics travel on the helicopter too, but in this case medical cases would be coordinated on deck of the ship and if medical situation dictates, medics would accompany medical evacuation on board the helicopter as well, if condition of patient would dictate that. Otherwise, lighter cases would be able to travel without medical company during the relatively short helicopter ride from ships location to shore.

5 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Naval and/or Air Force military SAR helos usually carry EMT-trained up to certified paramedics (the Canucks call them SAR Techs; in the USAF, they're "P.J's" for para rescue jumpers) on board while. for instance, the French Navy helos are known to carry a doctor. Not sure how civilian outfits with SAR contracts, like CHC Helicopters in this situation, are configured. The helos that do this kind of work carry at least four crew; aircraft commander/pilot in command, co-pilot, winchman/flight mechanic and rescue swimmer (the guy/girl that goes down the hoist cable to the ship). My hat goes off to all these men and women! "That others may live"

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1