BEST Airport to fly into for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal

conchqn

13 minutes ago, conchqn said:

What airport would be best and easiest for the Manhattan Cruise terminal ? Also, how to get to the port from the airport....Thanks

La Guardia is the closest airport, but....

What date would you be doing this?  Are you flying in the morning of the cruise or would you be looking for a hotel as well?  You big picture plan could affect the advice you are given.  It’s a balance between flight cost, port transportation cost, and hotel cost.  “Best and easiest airport” is not the only consideration.

I’m considering a transatlantic cruise that leaves on April 23, 2020. Not exactly sure at this moment if I would come in same day or day before. I usually like to fly in a day early, but being NYC, that could get expensive. Just not sure what airport is the closest or easiest to work from

If flying in the day before none of them are overly difficult.  You could fly United, for example, to Newark (EWR) then hop the train right to NY Penn Station and grab a cab to the port (or hotel). Same with JFK. No train/subway from LGA (yet) so you are stuck with the bus/subway combo or taxi/uber.   Price wise I don't think you are going to find much difference between the 3 airports overall.  Me personally,  I find EWR the easiest, only because I have done it many times and find the NJTransit train to Penn Station pretty simple. But others will disagree. 

1 hour ago, conchqn said:

I’m considering a transatlantic cruise that leaves on April 23, 2020. Not exactly sure at this moment if I would come in same day or day before. I usually like to fly in a day early, but being NYC, that could get expensive. Just not sure what airport is the closest or easiest to work from

How many people are you?  If you want to fly in the day before, consider Newark Airport because of the large pool of more reasonably priced hotels.  You will pay more for transportation into NYC (unless you use the train), but the hotel cost should be much more reasonable. If you want to go to NYC, you would have public transit options from the airport.  Staying in downtown Newark or Secaucus are also options.  It’s a transatlantic - you really can’t afford to miss the cruise.

Rail from Newark to NY Penn, From an older Tripadvisor discussion. The price is now $13.00

Take the Airtrain to the the Newark Airport train station. Then transfer to a NJ TRANSIT train to Penn Station NY, the last stop (this is all done on one ticket, not two).  Make sure you don't get out at Penn Station NEWARK.  Also, don't get a ticket for an Amtrak train because that will cost you a LOT more.  Trains run 7 days a week, 21 hours/day (no service between 2:00-5:00 AM) at least every 15 minutes and more frequently during the daytime.  The cost is $12.50 and total travel time including waiting for a NJ Transit train at the Airport Train Station should about 30-45 minutes, less during peak times when trains are extremely frequent.

Sorry - need to be picky here about train stations for the out of towners. The train fare from Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station is $13/pp each way. The fare from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station is $5.25/pp each way. That’s why it’s always good to price the Newark Penn Station Hilton and the Robert Treat as well as the airport hotels. 

Edited by 138east

If you use an internet map of the port you can see where all 3 NYC airports are.  Your airport decision might be based on airfares which aren't usually available more than 11 months in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 9:19 AM, 138east said:

Sorry - need to be picky here about train stations for the out of towners. The train fare from Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station is $13/pp each way. The fare from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station is $5.25/pp each way. That’s why it’s always good to price the Newark Penn Station Hilton and the Robert Treat as well as the airport hotels. 

I like $5.25 more than $13.

So what is the cost from EWR to Newark Penn Station?

53 minutes ago, baconcurl said:

I like $5.25 more than $13.

So what is the cost from EWR to Newark Penn Station?

It’s $8.50 from EWR to Newark Penn because there is a $5.50 Airtrain Access fee to get on or off at Newark Airport Station.  Airtrain is free between all other airport stations except the Newark Airport train station.  There is no vehicle access to Newark Airport Station.

baconcurl - are you planning a trip to this area?

There is a non-stop bus shuttle that leaves app. every 20 minutes from the terminal area of EWR to Port Authority and then easy walk to cruise term.. No need to take airtrain to NJ Transit. I find the bus extremely simple.

Google maps shows the distance between the Manhattan Cruiseport and the Port Authority Bus Stop to be 1.4 miles/28 minutes. Is that accurate?

Not sure if that is an "easy walk" with luggage. Sounds like I may have to get an Uber/Lyft.

It really doesn't seem that far at all, seems like a matter of blocks. As I go back and forth to bus terminal I am always crossing paths with others doing same thing. One luggage on wheels with garment bag draped over , no problem.