Our Antarctica Cruise with Photos

AryMay

A little over a month ago we returned from a 22-day cruise to South America and Antarctica on the HAL Zaandam. I have been sorting and editing the thousands of photos we took and am including lots of pictures on the daily blog posts that cover what we did on the trip. The trip began with a few days in Santiago and ended with a post-cruise trip to Iguazu Falls. The whole experience was incredible!

It is a time-consuming process to do the posts, but I am methodically working my way through day by day. I have finally begun the part covering Antarctica and thought perhaps there might be some who would enjoy seeing where they plan to visit...or others who would like to relive memories from a former visit.

Here is a link to the blog:  My Souvenir Memories Blog

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, GC456 said:

Wow! That looks amazing!!!  :classic_cool:

Yes...it WAS amazing!

I know some people say it isn't worth going to Antarctica if you can't step foot on land, but for us this was a perfect fit. We loved it!

If you are looking for a <much> cheaper and easier alternative, don't overlook the mainstream cruiselines that offer cruises to Antarctica!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GC456 said:

Maybe one day, hopefully.

I want to knock out a few other cruise destinations first. 

Hawaii

Alaska

Iceland

Europe

From what I understand, there are going to be fewer and fewer ships sailing to Antarctica due to a new Polar Code that takes effect in 2022. Maybe Antarctica should be moved to the top of the list? 😉

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the link @AryMay.  I look forward to reading your blog.  We are doing the same itinerary on the Westerdam in January 2021 and I am just starting my research.  Was there somewhere on the HAL site which advises on visas and vaccinations?  I cannot seem to find anything.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:31 PM, *Miss G* said:

Thank you for the link @AryMay.  I look forward to reading your blog.  We are doing the same itinerary on the Westerdam in January 2021 and I am just starting my research.  Was there somewhere on the HAL site which advises on visas and vaccinations?  I cannot seem to find anything.

Sorry for the delay in answering...have been out of town for a few days.

I did not check HAL's website. We mainly went by the recommendations of the travel clinic and the CDC website in determining which vaccinations we received. Because we were going to Iguazu Falls at the end of our cruise we decided to be safe and get the yellow fever vaccines. Also got Hepatitis A and Typhoid. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 5:25 PM, AryMay said:

A little over a month ago we returned from a 22-day cruise to South America and Antarctica on the HAL Zaandam. I have been sorting and editing the thousands of photos we took and am including lots of pictures on the daily blog posts that cover what we did on the trip. The trip began with a few days in Santiago and ended with a post-cruise trip to Iguazu Falls. The whole experience was incredible!

It is a time-consuming process to do the posts, but I am methodically working my way through day by day. I have finally begun the part covering Antarctica and thought perhaps there might be some who would enjoy seeing where they plan to visit...or others who would like to relive memories from a former visit.

Here is a link to the blog:  My Souvenir Memories Blog

Enjoyed your pictures! I don't check the Antarctica forum all that often since it's not as active as many others. We went down there 2 years ago on the Infinity and really enjoyed it. Like you, didn't set foot on land but, having never been to South America, the itinerary was a good fit for us. Hate to tell you this, but we had "Drake Lake" both crossings - smooth as glass. I had been dreading the worst and actually put off booking any sort of Antarctica trip for years before finally getting enough courage to go for it. Also, we had amazingly warm weather - didn't even need a coat on in Port Stanley!  Thanks for sharing. Can't resist adding a few of my own pics to this thread. (2nd one was taken during an activity as promised by our cruise director..."dancing in Antarctica"  LOL) 

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/5/2019 at 9:24 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Enjoyed your pictures! I don't check the Antarctica forum all that often since it's not as active as many others. We went down there 2 years ago on the Infinity and really enjoyed it. Like you, didn't set foot on land but, having never been to South America, the itinerary was a good fit for us. Hate to tell you this, but we had "Drake Lake" both crossings - smooth as glass. I had been dreading the worst and actually put off booking any sort of Antarctica trip for years before finally getting enough courage to go for it. Also, we had amazingly warm weather - didn't even need a coat on in Port Stanley!  Thanks for sharing. Can't resist adding a few of my own pics to this thread. (2nd one was taken during an activity as promised by our cruise director..."dancing in Antarctica"  LOL) 

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

thank you for the picture showing what people were wearing on deck, that will help us when planning our trip south - although we wont follow the lady on the left LOL when it comes to how little to wear. 

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 3:22 AM, PerfectlyPerth said:

I see your "dancing in Antarctica on a ship" and raise you a "Zumba Class on the stern of an Icebreaker

Just as good!  Must be a 'thing' to do in arctic or antarctic climates.