Just have no idea what to do here...

laurierocs

We are docking at mahogany bay. I would like a good snorkel spot, my husband would like shade. We dont need an AI, but I would be up for a day pass that includes the above. We dont want to spend a lot of time on transport. I've been reading posts about a lot of construction with sometimes up to a 30 minute wait on a 1 lane road. Is that from mahogany bay?  So, I dont know the proximity of West End(is that a separate island?), West Bay, yeah, I'm really confused. I keep reading these boards trying to find the "magical" answer of what to do in this port. 

Carnival offers an excursion to Maya Key that goes by boat from the ship... avoiding travel on the roads?  Its $89 p/p. A possibility?

Anybody have ideas? Thanks for any help!

We are doing the Tabyana beach break this time.  We have heard that the road construction is pretty much done, so still a 40 minute ride from Mahogany Bay there.  Either way, it will be a nice beach day, lots of trees and shade, and snorkeling right off the beach is supposed to be fantastic.  We are there next week and I will shoot video to share here.  Not sure when you are going, but if it isnt' for a few weeks, check back here for my report.

This review of Maya Key is not great. 

It may be worthwhile to ask about the current road conditions on the TA Roatan board, at least three of those members live on the island. 

If easy access to snorkeling from the beach is your goal.. West Bay,  where Tabyana is located,  is a very good choice. As said above West Bay is a healthy 40 mins from Mahogany Bay.  This thread has heaps info about West Bay. I also recently found this web page , it has a fantastic West Bay snorkel map. 

If travel time is more of a concern than good snorkeling... Mahogany Bay Beach is nice, plenty of shade and a whisper of snorkeling from the far pier. 

On 4/8/2019 at 5:34 PM, laurierocs said:

Thank you! I think I may try Mahogany Bay Beach! Trying to find info on this beach on the boards. Can I just walk there from the ship at no cost? 

I was there last week and the beach is very nice. There were plenty of chairs in both the sun and shade. We were the only ship in port and on a smaller ship, but I have heard it can be crowded with 2 large ships in port.  

There were people snorkeling off the pier at the end of the beach, but I don’t know how good it was. They do rent snorkeling gear and other items.

EC77E9CE-0676-4AD6-9638-B644C3DBD97B.jpeg

8113ABA4-155A-4169-BA6B-B54F86627CC3.jpeg

CE75C8EC-EF0C-4701-880D-D59115CFFD1B.jpeg

Edited by JT1962

If you want to snorkel you should go to West Bay Beach. The 2nd largest barrier reef is in Roatan.    It was incredible snorkeling.  You can get a chair in the shade at Bananarama or Infinity Resort.  (or plenty of other options)   Bananarama is $10.  Infinity gets you a pool and costs more.   

There wasn't any road construction when we were there.   We docked at Mahogany bay.  it is a bit of a drive but worth it.  We used Rony's tours to take us.  We had a private driver and stopped to see the sloths first.   It was an nice car with AC and a friendly driver who watched us stuff at each stop.   

The beach at Mahogany bay is free.  If there are two ships there it can get a bit crowded.  Not very good snorkeling there.  

P4030139.jpg

P4030140.jpg

P4030198.jpg

P4030218.jpg

P4030222.JPG