Baby Food & Formula

Jp33160

Hello Everyone,

I'm sailing on the Breakaway in June, I am traveling with my 7 month old. I have never traveled with a baby on board a cruise ship as my other children started going on ships once they were older. I was really curious about how to travel with baby food and formula on a ship, does it need to be packed a certain way due TSA requirements? do I need to contact NCL letting them know? Can I carry the bag with all the baby food and supplies on with me instead of checking it in. Any advice from those who have traveled with babies or know how this works would be greatly appreciated. 

Oh also one of my stops is in Puerto Rico I know there is a big CVS or Walgreens across from the port and a local market nearby, in the case I were to pack light with the baby food can I stock up in Puerto Rico and bring it on board with me. I know on RCL I have been allowed to bring food back on board specifically from Puerto Rico but I'm not very familiar with NCL. 

Thanks  

I am traveling with my 7 month old GD on the Bliss at the end of April - she is just starting solid food - I will let you know if we have any trouble bringing packaged baby food on to the ship.

We are in the Haven & when I asked the shore side Concierge about a knife & cutting board to prepare GD's food, I was told the butler would help.

I agree with Peachypooh - don't rely on stocking in port!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

I am traveling with my 7 month old GD on the Bliss at the end of April - she is just starting solid food - I will let you know if we have any trouble bringing packaged baby food on to the ship.

We are in the Haven & when I asked the shore side Concierge about a knife & cutting board to prepare GD's food, I was told the butler would help.

I agree with Peachypooh - don't rely on stocking in port!

@YVRBassElectric thank you it would be of great if you do that 

13 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

The only advice I can give you is not to 100 percent rely on stocking up in Puerto Rico. What if they

miss that port due to a medical emergency, etc. Have a back up plan.

@Peachypooh good point, I’m not going to risk it 

• Like 1

We cruised on the gem with our 9 month old last year.  We carried all of the food on with us.  We also found so many things for him to eat onboard that we ended up taking a lot home.  We bought the take and toss spoons on amazon as well so we didn't have to worry about losing them.  They also have disposable bibs.  Don't forget to bring a small dish soap for washing pacifiers, utensils, cups etc.  You butler will be able to provide you with prep tools.  You will always have plates and utensils in your suite.  Also, I don't remember if the PR CVS had baby food but the last time we were there was pre-baby.  Ask me anything. 

• Like 1

I've cruised with mine at 9 and 10 months. We took some baby food onboard (some in carry on bag and some in checked bag -- we checked a diaper box that had some diapers, wipes, food, etc. in it) and also found many things on the ship the kids could eat. Plain yogurt, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, etc. Not sure how much food yours will be eating at 7 months. Mine at that age were eating maybe one small thing of baby food per day. But some 7 month olds are feeding themselves scrambled eggs and toast!

I second the recommendation for take n toss spoons, and also take a small thing of dish soap and a bottle brush to clean bottles/sippy cups in your cabin. We found disposable bibs to be really useful too.

• Like 1

Cruised with our son in October, who was 10 months old at the time.  

Call the NCL number and ask to speak to the special needs department.  Explain the situation and what your baby currently is eating/drinking.  Our son was drinking formula and purees/soft solids at the time.  

They added a liquid waiver to our edocs, allowing us to take infant water on board.  They also said we can bring pre-packed purees, and added a waiver for that.  All had to be taken on via carry on though, as if we packed them, they would be removed.  Carry on, when questioned, we showed the waiver and they said no problem.  They also added a note to our booking saying infant/purees.  So every restaurant we went to (either MDR or Specialty, not the buffet), the waiter always offered to bring us some plain steamed veggies or mashed potatoes or something like that.  Basically, they took care of anything we could possibly need for him.

Every restaurant has a high chair.  You can go on amazon and buy disposable bibs and place mats.  The place mats stick right to the tray on the high chair.  And the bibs are use once and toss.  We brought spoons and bottles and baby dish soap, and just washed them right in the bathroom daily.  Obviously no boiling sterilization though.  

As others mentioned, I would plan to pack/bring as much as you will need with you when you board.  I would not rely on picking up more supplies at a port, nor will I rely on being able to take them thru the check points at those ports.  Call NCL, get the waiver, and back a separate small bag of just baby supplies.  

Also, the diapers (atleast at the time) offered thru NCL were very reasonably priced.  They offer something like 36 pack of diapers, for not much more than if you went to your local grocery store and bought from there...which was shocking.  Obviously, you probably buy diapers in bulk (like the 120 packs).  But packing all that will take up alot of room.  I think we took about 30 and then bought a few packs from NCL for just less to pack.  

Overall though, did not encounter any issue whatsoever for whatever we needed/asked for re: our son.  And once on board, he was the star of the cruise.  We had breakfast in O'Sheenan's daily, and all the waiters and waitress would come over every morning to say hi to him, play with him, and whatever we wanted, they would get.  Even say like yogurt or a banana, which isn't normally on the menu, they would run up to the buffet and get for him.  

Have fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MrMike45 said:

Cruised with our son in October, who was 10 months old at the time.  

Call the NCL number and ask to speak to the special needs department.  Explain the situation and what your baby currently is eating/drinking.  Our son was drinking formula and purees/soft solids at the time.  

They added a liquid waiver to our edocs, allowing us to take infant water on board.  They also said we can bring pre-packed purees, and added a waiver for that.  All had to be taken on via carry on though, as if we packed them, they would be removed.  Carry on, when questioned, we showed the waiver and they said no problem.  They also added a note to our booking saying infant/purees.  So every restaurant we went to (either MDR or Specialty, not the buffet), the waiter always offered to bring us some plain steamed veggies or mashed potatoes or something like that.  Basically, they took care of anything we could possibly need for him.

Every restaurant has a high chair.  You can go on amazon and buy disposable bibs and place mats.  The place mats stick right to the tray on the high chair.  And the bibs are use once and toss.  We brought spoons and bottles and baby dish soap, and just washed them right in the bathroom daily.  Obviously no boiling sterilization though.  

As others mentioned, I would plan to pack/bring as much as you will need with you when you board.  I would not rely on picking up more supplies at a port, nor will I rely on being able to take them thru the check points at those ports.  Call NCL, get the waiver, and back a separate small bag of just baby supplies.  

Also, the diapers (atleast at the time) offered thru NCL were very reasonably priced.  They offer something like 36 pack of diapers, for not much more than if you went to your local grocery store and bought from there...which was shocking.  Obviously, you probably buy diapers in bulk (like the 120 packs).  But packing all that will take up alot of room.  I think we took about 30 and then bought a few packs from NCL for just less to pack.  

Overall though, did not encounter any issue whatsoever for whatever we needed/asked for re: our son.  And once on board, he was the star of the cruise.  We had breakfast in O'Sheenan's daily, and all the waiters and waitress would come over every morning to say hi to him, play with him, and whatever we wanted, they would get.  Even say like yogurt or a banana, which isn't normally on the menu, they would run up to the buffet and get for him.  

Have fun! 

23 hours ago, gymbomb said:

I've cruised with mine at 9 and 10 months. We took some baby food onboard (some in carry on bag and some in checked bag -- we checked a diaper box that had some diapers, wipes, food, etc. in it) and also found many things on the ship the kids could eat. Plain yogurt, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, etc. Not sure how much food yours will be eating at 7 months. Mine at that age were eating maybe one small thing of baby food per day. But some 7 month olds are feeding themselves scrambled eggs and toast!

I second the recommendation for take n toss spoons, and also take a small thing of dish soap and a bottle brush to clean bottles/sippy cups in your cabin. We found disposable bibs to be really useful too.

@gymbomb @MrMike45  This is all great information .... Thanks alot

• 4 weeks later...

We got back yesterday from our trip - we forgot to get the liquid waiver, had no trouble getting infant purees and an open bottle of water through security. The crib was a standard pack n' play. Being in the Haven really made travel with a baby easier - there was room for a change station, the butler brought food every morning (DD was organized enough to have containers that were a days portion of food), the first morning she asked if it was cooked & small enough & asked my daughter to check every container so she could correct any mistakes. We planned to eat in restaurants every night, but if GD got fussy we asked the butler if she would be willing to deliver - it wasn't necessary but it was nice to have the option. 

DD loved the disposable bibs. She also bought a thermos container that would heat the bottles when were were ashore - it was a bit of an impulse but it was so much easier to not have to look for hot water ashore

On 5/5/2019 at 7:55 PM, YVRBassElectric said:

We got back yesterday from our trip - we forgot to get the liquid waiver, had no trouble getting infant purees and an open bottle of water through security. The crib was a standard pack n' play. Being in the Haven really made travel with a baby easier - there was room for a change station, the butler brought food every morning (DD was organized enough to have containers that were a days portion of food), the first morning she asked if it was cooked & small enough & asked my daughter to check every container so she could correct any mistakes. We planned to eat in restaurants every night, but if GD got fussy we asked the butler if she would be willing to deliver - it wasn't necessary but it was nice to have the option. 

DD loved the disposable bibs. She also bought a thermos container that would heat the bottles when were were ashore - it was a bit of an impulse but it was so much easier to not have to look for hot water ashore

@YVRBassElectric Thank You for the information,  This is all good information since recently we've started to introduce certain foods into his diet. Those thermal containers are clutch we currently have one and it helps when we are out and about. I'm still unsure and contemplating about the disposable bibs since I will be taking travel detergent for any quick wash needs I have on board and figured I can just wash them that way. 

We use silicone bibs so its a very quick rinse vs having to thoroughly wash a fabric bib. That said, having a few disposables probably isn't a bad idea. Having an ergo type carrier would be key for us at that age, because a little bit of standing and rocking, and our kids would be out and we could enjoy a nice meal. If formula, having a way to safely heat the bottle is key. I have one of these little mashers (https://www.walmart.com/ip/NUK-Mash-Serve-Baby-Food-Masher/20449598) and would just ask for some steamed veggies or fruit - especially on excursions, when they may not be as flexible as on the ship. Lastly- pouches were a life saver!

If you have time, I would transition the baby to eat cold or room temperature bottles.  I never heated bottles for my kids as babies and it was so handy when out and about or traveling. At home I mixed formula by the pitcher and left it in the fridge for the day and when out, I'd bring the bottles with water in them, and the powdered formula separately and mix as needed.  It also made it a bit easier when transitioning them to milk from formula because they were used to the cold drink.

Edited by Freckle53