Mexican Riviera seasickness?

cruise99999

Hi all,

I'm doing my first cruise ever and I'm going to be on the Norwegian Bliss April 21-28 for the Mexican Riviera. I heard the Bliss is a pretty large ship, so I'm hoping I won't feel sea sick. I've gotten sick on some ferry rides which are much smaller boats. 

Are the waters pretty calm during this time of year? Anything to help put my mind to ease.

I'm also worried about us tendering in Cabo. How is the seasickness from the tender boats and how long are you normally on the tender boat? 

Any experience from people that have done a Mexican Riviera cruise mid/late April would be great! 

Thanks!

Same answer from your other thread.

The seas can be rough any time of the year...they are not that predictable. If you have a problem with sea sickness, you must be prepared every time you are on a cruise ship.

That area is known for the possibility of roughness just south of the Mexico/US border area, particularly as you head north, and you are going against the current.

Tendering depends on a variety of things. There is frequently more than one ship in at Cabo, so you may have a longer tender ride. If sea conditions are rougher, it will make the tender ride rougher. It is possible (although not a huge chance) the conditions could be so rough as to prevent tendering, and you will skip the port.

On the other hand, the seas could be calm. You just never know, and Mother Nature always has the final say.

Seas and weather are all quite variable.  Not the worst area this time of year , but the current along the California coast can be a challenge.  Be prepared with whatever method you have found works best for you.

If you have been seasick on a boat before, I would certainly bring some meds along just in case. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. I swear by Bonine. It doesn’t make me drowsy and is OTC. Take two pills a day and then only really bad seas are enough to make me feel a bit off.

Been along the West Coast many times at that time of year and while the weather & seas can never be guaranteed, most areas are reasonably comfortable with max winds of 25 - 30 kts. Not sure if going south of Acapulco, but if you are, the Gulf of Tehuantepec can get rather snotty at times.

The size of ship has minimal effect on the amount of motion, as the science is based on the ship's stability characteristics, course/speed in relation to wind & seas, effectiveness of stabalisers, etc. The least amount of movement is found at the ship's centre of gravity, so the higher and further fwd/aft you go, you will experience more movement.

However, comparing ship motion of ferries & cruise ships is akin to comparing apples to oranges. The motion experienced on ferries is completely different to cruise ships, not due to size, but from different stability. Due to the nature of the business and ship design, Ro/Ro ferries normally have a substantially higher GM, which creates a different type of movement, as they snap back faster.

Cabo - I used to be there once a week, so have tendered way too many times. I note they have multiple anchorages, but all are close to shore and are fairly well protected. The trip ashore should be 10 to 15 mins, with the last few minutes within the breakwater. Have experience a couple of interesting return trips, but normally it is smooth sailing.

• Like 1

I'm not prone to seasickness, but on my first cruise in that area I found it rougher than I was expecting.  I didn't think it was awful, but it was noticeable.  My traveling companion did get seasick.  But as others have said, it might be smooth and calm the next week.  I agree that having pills for motion sickness handy would be a good idea. 

• Like 1

Most important, if you are one that cannot handle the rocking. Make sure you book a cabin on the lowest deck mid ship. You will experience the mildest of rocking there. Understand. seasickness is only in your head. If you are on deck and start to feel woozy, fasten your eyes on the horizon. it will go away quick. To calm your stomach. Drink ginger ale and crackers. they are usually in the buffet by the soup. You can ask for them and they will get them for you.

I was in the navy and have no problem. But my wife used to till she realized she could beat it. now it does not bother her no matter how bad the ride is. I understand the patch works. So get them. You can also get the pills at sick bay.

The last sea day sailing back to California will be rough. Every Mexican Rivera cruise I have taken (10+) has been the same. It will also be colder than you expect on the last sea days