Upgrade...or not?

styles27

Hi, 

Leaving on Divina this coming Sunday.  For some reason I decided to check our reservation and noticed that they moved us from room 11268 aft balcony that we chose to a deluxe suite 15008.

We really wanted the aft balcony...the new room is on the side of the ship in the YC area.  Is this a better room in your opinion or should I fight for our original aft balcony that we chose?

Weird thing about this is they never emailed me to let me know they moved us...

4 minutes ago, ikea logistics said:

So from a fantastica to a yacht club in my opinion I would upgrade what drinks package do you have as you would keep that but have all the lovelyness of being in yacht club

We don’t have a drink package...they credited us $150 to replace the 12 drink vouchers Fantastica usually came with until March 25th.  

So would we be able to use the YC area?  I’m trying to phone MSC now but I’m in Rome and having trouble getting the call to go through.  My luggage tags still have our old room number on them.

I’m thinking this could get very confusing.  

Its within the YC area so I don't see why not if you go back in to your web check in section it should have been updated if you can print out your new reservation they should accept that at the check in desk before you go through to the ship.

• Like 1

There are conflicting reports on here from people who were upgraded to YC.  Some said they got to use all the YC facilities, others claimed that they paid a very small upcharge to have access.  We were in YC on Splendida for a 28 night itinerary last year;  one particular guest told DH that he'd been upgraded at check-in;  he was allowed to enjoy all that YC offered without an extra charge.  I'm not sure if I, personally, believed his story.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

Is this a better room in your opinion or should I fight for our original aft balcony that we chose?

The room is bigger than a standard balcony, as well being in the yacht club with it's own restaurant - it's a great upgrade! 

I wouldn't bother phoning MSC - relax and enjoy your holiday.  2 years ago I met a couple that were upgraded to the yacht club and got to enjoy all the facilities, and we have never met anyone staying in the yacht club area but not allowed use the facilities (which would be virtually impossible to do in practice).  In any case, you will not be worse off than before! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

The room is bigger than a standard balcony, as well being in the yacht club with it's own restaurant - it's a great upgrade! 

I wouldn't bother phoning MSC - relax and enjoy your holiday.  2 years ago I met a couple that were upgraded to the yacht club and got to enjoy all the facilities, and we have never met anyone staying in the yacht club area but not allowed use the facilities (which would be virtually impossible to do in practice).  In any case, you will not be worse off than before! 

Thank you! You set my mind at ease!

We’re  loving Rome so far!

4 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Thank you! I can see why you love it! 

I hope you're having good weather-spring is a great time to visit Italy. Now I miss the cappuccino, the gelati, the pasta (especially carbonara, amatriciana, puttanesca, cacio e pepe), and the pizza. Yum! Buon appetito!

• Like 1

Sounds like you got a good upgrade. I sail on Seaview in 4 weeks, and a couple of weeks ago my cabin was changed with no warning or explanation. I have been moved from 13240 (a Fantastica room), to 13015, which is an Aurea room but MSC say I will be staying on my Fantastica experience.

Let us know what experience you end up having, I'd be very interested.

Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I hope you're having good weather-spring is a great time to visit Italy. Now I miss the cappuccino, the gelati, the pasta (especially carbonara, amatriciana, puttanesca, cacio e pepe), and the pizza. Yum! Buon appetito!

So far the weather is perfect.  It was 80 deg f when we landed yesterday and in the high 60’s-70 today.  

The food is amazing...haven’t disliked anything.  Thank goodness we’re walking a lot! lol

32 minutes ago, Never too young to cruise said:

Sounds like you got a good upgrade. I sail on Seaview in 4 weeks, and a couple of weeks ago my cabin was changed with no warning or explanation. I have been moved from 13240 (a Fantastica room), to 13015, which is an Aurea room but MSC say I will be staying on my Fantastica experience.

Let us know what experience you end up having, I'd be very interested.

Thanks 

I will definitely report back and let you know!

47 minutes ago, Never too young to cruise said:

Sounds like you got a good upgrade. I sail on Seaview in 4 weeks, and a couple of weeks ago my cabin was changed with no warning or explanation.

We've had a couple of upgrades (to Aurea!) over the years, too - also with no notice.  I only discovered it when logging in to our bookings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We've had a couple of upgrades (to Aurea!) over the years, too - also with no notice.  I only discovered it when logging in to our bookings.

And what benefits did you get? Did you get all the Aurea perks, or stay with original benefits just in a Aurea cabin?

The only Aurea perk you get is MyChoice dining, which suited us as we always have a drinks package, anyway, and we have priority boarding being Black Card members.  Any other Aurea perks can be purchased for less than it would have cost to book an Aurea in the first instance.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 8:25 PM, 8420PR said:

Thank you! You set my mind at ease!

We’re  loving Rome so far!

Hi everyone! 

We’re on board and just wanted to let you know that not only our room was upgraded to the yacht club area but our experience was upgraded at no cost to us.

We have the all inclusive drink benefit and full use of all of the amenities. 

I’m not sure what we did to deserve this but we are very grateful for this opportunity. 

So far the staff has been fantastic!  I have a feeling this will be a cruise we’ll never forget! 

EBF3FE15-A46A-483A-AE86-B96C52EBCCF0.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Hi everyone! 

We’re on board and just wanted to let you know that not only our room was upgraded to the yacht club area but our experience was upgraded at no cost to us.

We have the all inclusive drink benefit and full use of all of the amenities. 

I’m not sure what we did to deserve this but we are very grateful for this opportunity. 

So far the staff has been fantastic!  I have a feeling this will be a cruise we’ll never forget! 

EBF3FE15-A46A-483A-AE86-B96C52EBCCF0.jpeg

Great news, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 3:43 PM, Bestbubba said:

So pleased to read you are upgraded with all YC perks included. This really will be a cruise to remember and I bet MSC has just found some loyal future cruisers! Enjoy every moment 😊

Thank you!

Absolutely will book with MSC again.  This has been such a great experience from the crew to the food and drink to the ports and of course the beautiful ship! They’ve won us over! We don’t want to leave tomorrow!

On 4/28/2019 at 6:22 PM, Never too young to cruise said:

That's great, glad it all worked out well. I don't you remember what your booking said on the website ie did it give your cabin number but still say you were on a Fantastica experience? 

It said the new room number, deluxe suite, yacht club but I didn’t believe it til we got on board and it was confirmed that we did indeed have the yacht club experience.  We feel like we hit the lottery! lol

Sounds like a nice upgrade to me.  I'd just roll with it.

And try to call MSC as little as humanly possible.  More than all of the other cruiselines I've sailed on combined (Celebrity, Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Pullmantur, RCCL, etc), they have a propensity to completely botch things up rather than improve upon the situation.  I have a separate thread entitled "MSC Comedy of Errors" that describes some of my many problems and frustrations.

Sounds like an improvement over what you had before.  Enjoy!

P.S. Just noticed that you are already onboard, after I had written the above.  I don't think I can delete it, but do have a good time!

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1