Things to do in Alaska that will NOT cost a fortune!!

I thought I would share some of the many things we enjoy doing every year in Alaska.

In Juneau, we walk out to the street.. crossover.. ( there is usually a really "colorful" guy directing traffic )

and hail a cab. Tahe the cab to the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery 

cab costs about $11... share the ride. Entrance fee to the hatchery is or was..$5.00 a person.

Absolutely worth seeing. I could stay there all day!! You can see many Bald Eagles!

Or... you can walk about 2 blocks to the police station ( ask anyone where it is ) and you will be at the main bus hub. Take the bus that goes to the Alaskan Brewing Company. Be sure to ask the bus driver to tell you where to get off. The bus costs about $1.00 each way ( be sure to have singles ) The brewery is free.. great talk on how they brew.. free samples of the different beers and great little gift shop! Of course there is Mendenhall Glacier, you can also take the bus there, but it is a bit of a walk from where the bus drops you off back to the park.

I also enjoyed deep sea fishing in Juneau.

Also there is the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts.. It is a bit pricey.. but doing it once is worth it.. the view from the top is incredible! They have a rescued Bald Eagle up there, and a nice restaurant and gift shop. it is free to hike the trail up to the top, but, they charge you if you want to ride down.

Now in Anchorage if we are not meeting friends and family that live there .. we take the free bus from the port to downtown Anchorage. Walk around the block to the Visitors center. There you can choose different things to do.. ie: the zoo, a museum and many other things.. they have little "trains" that will take you where you are going. Most are free.

We take the free little train to the Ulu Factory. ( be sure to tip the kids that are driving.. they are college students that are working over the summer ). There you can see how the Ulu knives are made... and buy them. Be careful.. check carefully if buying an Ulu elsewhere that it is NOT MADE IN CHINA!!  Right behind the Ulu store There is a river.. and a bridge.. you can walk right over and stand on the bridge ( it is foot traffic only ) and watch them fish for Salmon, and watch the Salmon run upstream  if it is the right time of the year . usually the end of July beginning of August ). And when you take the "LITTLE TRAIN" back to the visitors center, go across the street to the Polar Bear Gifts.. the best place for t-shirts and all sort of gifts and sweatshirts.. So reasonably priced. If you are daring.. try a reindeer hot dog or sausage.. not for me , but my husband.."just has to have one every year"!   I am intentionally not recommending any tour companies, as what I think was good and a good deal.. may not be to someone else. Google "tours" in the city you are interested in. Hope you enjoyed reading this, and that perhaps it gives you a heads up on fun things to do that do NOT cost a fortune!!

•  
Edited by JoAnnaBullhead
spelling
  • Like 1

Good info.. our 14 day HAL cruise does not go to Skagway, but, I have been there. Also if you have the Senior National Park Pass.. TAKE IT WITH YOu!! FOR FREE ACCESS TO THE PARKS.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoAnnaBullhead said:

Good info.. our 14 day HAL cruise does not go to Skagway, but, I have been there. Also if you have the Senior National Park Pass.. TAKE IT WITH YOu!! FOR FREE ACCESS TO THE PARKS.

Great suggestion with the NPS Park Pass!  I bought mine just before the Administration jacked up the price for the lifetime pass from $10 to $80.  BUT, there is also a $20 yearly senior pass.  Depending on the entrance fees, it could be a good buy for a senior doing an Alaska cruise.   You can buy those online on the NPS website.

I have 3 National Forests within 1 hour of my house which charge a fee.  I have a National Monument 30 minutes away which charges a fee.  I have 12 National Parks and Monuments within a 6 hour drive.  So, for me, the Pass was a major bargain!!

A couple of other suggestions for Juneau:  Juneau is a very walkable city.  The Alaska State Museum is within easy walking distance from most of the cruise ship docks.  Going a bit further into the city, the Alaska State Capitol is unique in its exterior design for a State capitol and usually has free guided tours of the building.  The Governor's Mansion is also very near the Capitol, but I don't think tours of the Mansion are available.

In Anchorage, across the street from the "cute" visitor center is the Federal Bldg which has the Alaska Public Lands Visitor Center. They have public rest rooms and nice movies and things going on and all free.

Just BE ADVISED, it IS a FEDERAL bldg so you must go through security and you can NOT bring weapons and such into the bldg. This means ULUs or any knife and such. Go in there before you shop.

Also... forgot for first timers to Juneau... the Red Dog Saloon is a MUST!! Go in.. have a drink or a soda.. and have some fun! Great gift shop next door. Just 2 blocks from the pier..  and public restrooms are across the street.

Love Alaska!  Thanks for sharing your tips.  The Alaska State Museum is open late on the first Friday of the month, from 4:30-7pm, and is free during those hours.  We happened to be there last year on the first Friday of the month, so wanted to pass that along for others who are interested in the museum.

Edited by syesmar

5 hours ago, JoAnnaBullhead said:

...comment about using the NPS pass at the Grand Canyon...  (somehow removed by the editor)

For cruisers, that pass would also be good if they go to USVI, Puerto Rico, New England, on a cruise - National Parks there, also!!

Edited by slidergirl