Backpacks and Passports in Amsterdam

As part of our preparation for our upcoming cruise from Amsterdam, we have been reading alot about Europe and Amsterdam in particular. We have 2 days on our own planned, and this is our first visit to the region.  DH usually uses a day backpack. Rick Steves mentioned in a video that backpacks (of any type) are frequently not allowed in many museums, churches, and other places. He suggests using a crossbody bag instead, or if none, to sling a small backpack across a shoulder and wear like a cross body bag. He also said tourists must carry their passport. 

So my questions for those who have recently traveled there:

1) Did you find "day packs" were not allowed (required to be checked)?

2) Did you have to carry your passport at all times? ( I was planning on locking it in our safe.) (I checked the Department of State website for travel to Nederlands and found nothing on this topic.)

Thanks!

1)  It depends on the size of your day pack!  Each museum has its own requirements for what sized items are allowed and what must be checked.  If you look at the individual websites, you can see each place's specifications.  I did use a cross body bag that met the approved dimensions (or close to it!).  My DH did not use his regular book bag, but relied on his pockets or a smaller "man bag. "  The places we visited did enforce the size regulations, requiring larger items to be checked.

2) I recall reading about  passports being necessary, and I think I did take it with me, in my cross body bag.  I don't remember ever having to actually show it at any of the museums we visited.

Hope this helps! 

I haven't visited for a few years from a cruise ship; we were on a USA ship and everyone was told to take their passport ashore- which is fairly unusual in Europe. 

I remember this so well, because most passengers were from North America, and there was a long line at passport control. I have an EU passport and there was no queue in the EU station, so I was able to walk straight through with only a short glance given to the passport. I remember it because someone standing in the long line for non-EU members really shouted at me!

Whether they are still strict now, a few years later, someone else will know.

I think I've always shown my passport when I've left a ferry to the Netherlands.

Edited by jocap
typo

I did not know that carrying a passport was required. I have never carried my passport in AMS - it is always in my hotel room safe. I carry a copy of my passport & my driver's license. Our DL is accepted for  museum audio guide rental and backpack size is enforced in the museums we have visited.

47 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I did not know that carrying a passport was required. I have never carried my passport in AMS - it is always in my hotel room safe. I carry a copy of my passport & my driver's license. Our DL is accepted for  museum audio guide rental and backpack size is enforced in the museums we have visited.

This is the text our Government published in english about this subject: 

"Police officers and other officials such as ticket inspectors and labour inspectors may ask to see proof of identity. As may care providers and employers.

Compulsory identification on the street

On the street, only certain officials may ask to see proof of identity. They are:

·         police officers

·         ticket inspectors on public transport

·         special enforcement officers (BOAs) like labour inspectors and forest wardens.

These officials may not ask to see proof of identity without giving a reason. Situations in which they may do so include:

·         traffic management (for instance, if a cyclist rides through a red light);

·         the maintenance of public order (when people’s safety is at stake);

·         the investigation of criminal offences.

If you are unable or unwilling to identify yourself in such situations, you will be liable to prosecution. You risk being taken to a police station, to establish your identity. You may also have to pay a fine.

Fines for failure to show proof of identity

For persons aged 16 or over who fail to comply with the requirement to identify themselves, the fine is €60. For persons aged 14 and 15, the fine is €30.

No objection possible

If you receive a fine from the police for failing to show proof of identity, you are not entitled to file an objection. The Central Fine Collection Agency (CJIB) will send you a giro collection slip which you can use to pay the fine. If you fail to pay, the public prosecutor will decide whether to prosecute you. You can be prosecuted within two years of the date of the offence.

Identity documents

The following are valid identity documents in the Netherlands:

·         a Dutch passport or a passport or identity card of a country belonging to the EU or the EEA. Passports of all other countries must contain a valid residence sticker;

·         a Dutch identity card;

·         a refugee travel document issued by the Dutch authorities;

·         an alien’s travel document issued by the Dutch authorities

·         a residence permit or leave to remain card (W-document);

·         a driving licence (in some cases)."      

Whenever I leave my passport in the locker of a hotelroom or cabin in non-EU countries, or the guest service on board a ship, I carry, like you do, a copy of my passport+ original EUropean photo ID.  

11 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thank you all for the responses. We’ll plan to keep our passports with us. 

Keep them in a safe place (and with a RFID cover).

On 5/5/2019 at 9:50 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

As part of our preparation for our upcoming cruise from Amsterdam, we have been reading alot about Europe and Amsterdam in particular. We have 2 days on our own planned, and this is our first visit to the region.  DH usually uses a day backpack. Rick Steves mentioned in a video that backpacks (of any type) are frequently not allowed in many museums, churches, and other places. He suggests using a crossbody bag instead, or if none, to sling a small backpack across a shoulder and wear like a cross body bag. He also said tourists must carry their passport. 

So my questions for those who have recently traveled there:

1) Did you find "day packs" were not allowed (required to be checked)?

2) Did you have to carry your passport at all times? ( I was planning on locking it in our safe.) (I checked the Department of State website for travel to Nederlands and found nothing on this topic.)

Thanks!

Well, Rick is wrong regarding the passport.

Never carry your actual passport but a copy, in paper and on your smartphone.

Leave the actual one in the safe in your hotelroom.