Locks on suitcase?

comeonnow1

Hi all!

New cruiser & international traveler here!  Do you put little locks on your suitcases-not so much at the airports(I realize they need access in the event of searches), but if you're doing a pre or post cruise stay?  For instance, we have a pre cruise stay in Rome. I'm just wondering if your bag is with you for transport from the hotel to the ship etc, as I am under the impression Viking will take care of transporting your luggage for you onto the ship once we check out of the hotel.  Or does Viking need to also gain access to your bags, therefore locks are frowned upon?

Thanks in advance for your input/experience.

We use TSA approved locks when we travel even though we try to do carry-on only. If nothing else it keeps the zippers closed. Still locks aren't much of a deterrent for determined and practiced thieves. Therefore, we never pack anything of value in anything but the "personal items" that never leave our control. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shoalwater said:

We use plastic zip ties to keep the zipper slider from accidentally opening.  Locks on any zippered case are meaningless as you can see in the video link here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+open+a+locked+zippered+suitcase&t=ffnt&atb=v164-6&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=9JvmAktLvFg

Just another reason why I travel with carry-on luggage only and am unhappy when I am forced to check it.

I used cable ties for years, but now have the TSA locks.  But I sure realize that those zippers can be opened incredibly easily. And I do often do carry-on only, but in general, I do make sure to lock my luggage if it's going to be out of my sight, when it can be, and with the TSA locks, you can just leave them on.  Buy them from Amazon, there's lots of them.

A saying my Dad reminded me of many times and I remember to this day "Locks only keep the honest people honest".  Given that, trust in the honest people and pray for everyone else.

I used cable ties for years, but now have the TSA locks.  But I sure realize that those zippers can be opened incredibly easily. And I do often do carry-on only, but in general, I do make sure to lock my luggage if it's going to be out of my sight, when it can be, and with the TSA locks, you can just leave them on.  Buy them from Amazon, there's lots of them.
I used to use zip ties, too. But if TSA decides to inspect your bag, they'll clip it off, and then the zipper isn't secured. I even used to leave a spare zip tie inside so they could re-secure it, but when my bag was chosen, they didn't use the spare.
At least with a TSA lock they'll re-lock it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TSA approved locks for the win! It will at least be a small deterrent to the wrong people...maybe.

But hey, at least my underwear won't be spilling out of an open zipper on the baggage carousel, right??

• Like 2

9 hours ago, just_dont said:

I used to use zip ties, too. But if TSA decides to inspect your bag, they'll clip it off, and then the zipper isn't secured. I even used to leave a spare zip tie inside so they could re-secure it, but when my bag was chosen, they didn't use the spare.
At least with a TSA lock they'll re-lock it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My TSA locks, on three different occasions, were cut and thrown away. I guess that is easier than using a key. A note was left in my suitcase once and the other two times my suitcase (and my husband’s) were opened illegally. 

My husband’s suitcase was destroyed on our last trip. Delta replaced it with a new one. 

3 hours ago, H2Otstr said:

My TSA locks, on three different occasions, were cut and thrown away. I guess that is easier than using a key. A note was left in my suitcase once and the other two times my suitcase (and my husband’s) were opened illegally. 

My husband’s suitcase was destroyed on our last trip. Delta replaced it with a new one. 

Sorry about your locks and suitcase!  I noticed ours get pretty roughed up and filthy when we travel.  It's the reason I don't buy super expensive luggage if I'm checking my bags.  Which I usually do...

• Like 1