Questions for those off of the Grand in SF (RT to Alaska)

Katwoman007

Hi Everyone! 

We are leaving out of SF on the Grand to Alaska in 20 days (YAY) and I had a few questions.

How has the check in been? I see now that check in time does not start till 1pm. We are driving in the night before and have to get out of the hotel around 11am, so just wondering how that situation is going to be if we are just hanging around. I know we could drop off luggage with the porters, but will still have our carry ons. 

Second question deals with leaving port. Has it been on time at 4pm? I know it can be delayed (we were delayed about 4 hours leaving LA on our last cruise). I do not want miss going under the Golden Gate bridge for dinner... so.. might have to do something else or if we have cleared it, run down in whatever we are wearing lol 

Third.... Did traditional dining times change at all? We were bumped from the 6pm (ish) slot to 5pm and was wondering if those times were accurate. I know the first night we might have to miss dinner if we are enjoying sailing away, but not sure if it is worth changing our dinner to a later time. I would like to try out traditional as it is a longer cruise than the last and even though we did anytime, we had the same waiter for 2 nights and the second night he totally remembered what we liked! I was sad when we were one table off from him the 3rd night. lol 

Fourth... Anyone use the parking garage to park? I was told it was just a few blocks away and wanted to see what the truth is 😉  

Any other things you would love to share, I will TAKE IT ALL IN! We have had our cruise booked for well over a year and I am so excited it is time to start printing and getting things in order. 😄 I really appreciate it. I did try to search and was not finding any answers. Thank you!

Sailing out of San Francisco is my favorite port of all time, not just because I live here in the Bay Area.  I've left from Pier 27 many times and even from the old PIer 35 (yech!).  Let's see if we can help you.

Check in:  Don't pay any attention to the boarding schedule that Princess sends you in your email.  We usually arrive at Pier 27 around 10:30-10:45, drop our luggage with the porters, and proceed into the building.  Security is usually a breeze as is getting your cruise card from the Princess desks at that time of the day.  Then it's off to the waiting area which is reasonably comfortable, not great, but reasonable.  Boarding usually commences some time between 11:00 and 11:45, depending on factors such as customs, cleaning, etc.  On our January cruise to Mexico, we were ON BOARD at 11:00 (we're Elite, first group to board).  You won't be able to get into your room until 13:00 but Grand will let you store your carry on luggage in Explorer's lounge so you don't have to schlep it around.

Leaving port on time:  This one is hit and miss.  We've left on time, we've been delayed by 30-60 minutes, we've been delayed until 24:00...depends on many factors.  I would plan on missing dinner in the MDR that night so that you can enjoy sail away.  While you're docked (stern in), you'll have a great view of Treasure Island, the East Bay hills, the Ferrry Building, Coit Tower, The Embarcadero with all the classic street cars, and the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance.  Getting to the bridge after you shove off takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on multiple factors.  On the way you'll have a great view of Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, the SS Jerimiah O'Brian (one of only 2  functional Liberty Ships remaining from WWII), classic sailing vessels at Hyde St. Pier (especially The Balclutha, a 3 masted tall ship), Ft. Mason (embarkation point for troops headed to the Pacific Theater in WWII), The Cannery (old Del Monte factory), Ghiradelli Square, The Palace of Fine Arts, Alcatraz, Ft. Point (under the GG Bridge) and then...the Golden Gate Bridge!!!  The captain will sound the horn as you pass under and all the people up on the bridge will wave to you.  Don't abandon your post after you've passed under the bridge.  If you look toward the stern, you'll see the GG Bridge with the San Francisco skyline behind it...breathtaking.  The waters outside the GG Bridge may very well be a bit choppy so be ready for it.   That area is known as The Potato Patch and is notorious for a bumpy ride.   Now you can go get something to eat.

Traditional Dining:  We had early dining time and it started at 17:00 as stated.  I think late seating is now 19:15.  We like traditional as we enjoy the same waiter and table mates for the entire cruise.  There won't be any problem with your table if you miss the first night's dinner.  We usually grab chow in the Horizon Court or Alfredo's on that sail away evening...want to see as much as we can up on deck.

Parking:  I've never used the garage but have driven by there on multiple occasions.  It is a little bit of a walk from Pier 27 but certainly manageable.  It's in a very safe area so you can take in the sights and sounds of The Embarcadero as you stroll towards your waiting adventure.

You're going to have a ball.  Take in all in and enjoy sailing from everyone's favorite City in the world...San Francisco.

• Like 2

You got some good, detailed info in the previous post, but I can add a few things.

Anything is possible, but we've never had a departure delay in San Francisco.

I agree that you shouldn't pay any attention to the boarding time. Just show up and go with the flow.

We've used the parking garage at 80 Francisco Street, as well as the one just across from it. It's about four blocks, which we consider easy, even pulling luggage. You will want to make a reservation at the parking garage now, and I do mean now, since it fills up. You can do that either through parkingpanda.com, impark.com, or calling 415.813.4267/415.227.0114. These parking garages work very well for us.

33 minutes ago, FTBLCOACH said:

Sailing out of San Francisco is my favorite port of all time, not just because I live here in the Bay Area.  I've left from Pier 27 many times and even from the old PIer 35 (yech!).  Let's see if we can help you.

Check in:  Don't pay any attention to the boarding schedule that Princess sends you in your email.  We usually arrive at Pier 27 around 10:30-10:45, drop our luggage with the porters, and proceed into the building.  Security is usually a breeze as is getting your cruise card from the Princess desks at that time of the day.  Then it's off to the waiting area which is reasonably comfortable, not great, but reasonable.  Boarding usually commences some time between 11:00 and 11:45, depending on factors such as customs, cleaning, etc.  On our January cruise to Mexico, we were ON BOARD at 11:00 (we're Elite, first group to board).  You won't be able to get into your room until 13:00 but Grand will let you store your carry on luggage in Explorer's lounge so you don't have to schlep it around.

Leaving port on time:  This one is hit and miss.  We've left on time, we've been delayed by 30-60 minutes, we've been delayed until 24:00...depends on many factors.  I would plan on missing dinner in the MDR that night so that you can enjoy sail away.  While you're docked (stern in), you'll have a great view of Treasure Island, the East Bay hills, the Ferrry Building, Coit Tower, The Embarcadero with all the classic street cars, and the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance.  Getting to the bridge after you shove off takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on multiple factors.  On the way you'll have a great view of Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, the SS Jerimiah O'Brian (one of only 2  functional Liberty Ships remaining from WWII), classic sailing vessels at Hyde St. Pier (especially The Balclutha, a 3 masted tall ship), Ft. Mason (embarkation point for troops headed to the Pacific Theater in WWII), The Cannery (old Del Monte factory), Ghiradelli Square, The Palace of Fine Arts, Alcatraz, Ft. Point (under the GG Bridge) and then...the Golden Gate Bridge!!!  The captain will sound the horn as you pass under and all the people up on the bridge will wave to you.  Don't abandon your post after you've passed under the bridge.  If you look toward the stern, you'll see the GG Bridge with the San Francisco skyline behind it...breathtaking.  The waters outside the GG Bridge may very well be a bit choppy so be ready for it.   That area is known as The Potato Patch and is notorious for a bumpy ride.   Now you can go get something to eat.

Traditional Dining:  We had early dining time and it started at 17:00 as stated.  I think late seating is now 19:15.  We like traditional as we enjoy the same waiter and table mates for the entire cruise.  There won't be any problem with your table if you miss the first night's dinner.  We usually grab chow in the Horizon Court or Alfredo's on that sail away evening...want to see as much as we can up on deck.

Parking:  I've never used the garage but have driven by there on multiple occasions.  It is a little bit of a walk from Pier 27 but certainly manageable.  It's in a very safe area so you can take in the sights and sounds of The Embarcadero as you stroll towards your waiting adventure.

You're going to have a ball.  Take in all in and enjoy sailing from everyone's favorite City in the world...San Francisco.

AMAZING information! Exactly the things that have been running through my mind. THANK YOU so much!! I was trying to find the check in times and the earliest I saw online was 1pm, but I know people can get on sooner for lunch. We are coming up from LA and staying just 45 min outside of SF, so I want to plan getting in the area in the right time. Sooner is better because I CANNOT WAIT! haha Bummer about missing dinner the first night, but we will find something 😉 I would rather spend the time watching the city go by!! Great to know about it being choppy. I could not get my hands on my normal sea patches, so I have tablets and  the bands ready if needed. 

Is there an ideal place on the ship to be when leaving port? I am a hobby photographer and looking for the less crowd look. 😉 I figured if I cannot find what I am looking for we can always run to our corner aft balcony. Making sure my cardio is not skipped now hahaha 

23 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

You got some good, detailed info in the previous post, but I can add a few things.

Anything is possible, but we've never had a departure delay in San Francisco.

I agree that you shouldn't pay any attention to the boarding time. Just show up and go with the flow.

We've used the parking garage at 80 Francisco Street, as well as the one just across from it. It's about four blocks, which we consider easy, even pulling luggage. You will want to make a reservation at the parking garage now, and I do mean now, since it fills up. You can do that either through parkingpanda.com, impark.com, or calling 415.813.4267/415.227.0114. These parking garages work very well for us.

Yes! Thank you! We have reservations already (and paid for) at the 80 Francisco street location. I had sent them a online request last month 😉  and the guy called the next day for payment. I was a tad worried about post cruise getting back to the garage, but sounds do able. Very helpful!! 

As you leave port, The City will be on your port (left) side.  Alcatraz and Angel Island will be on your starboard (right) side so you may want to be able to shuffle back and forth for pix.  Deck 14 is usually pretty crowded for sail away but you can usually find a good railing spot somewhere.  You can always go up to Deck 15 or Deck 16 which tend to be a little less crowded but more exposed to the weather.  Regardless of the weather, wear a jacket.  It's probably going to be cool and very windy on the way to the bridge...nothing you can do about it.  Sometimes we'll try and secure a spot behind one of the light blue plastic windbreaks to deflect the breeze.

If you're coming up from LA and staying about 45 minutes from The City then I'm guessing you're going to be on the peninsula somewhere.  Based on that assumption (yeah, I know, never ASS U ME anything) the best way to Pier 27 from there is to take I-280N and stay on it until it ends.  It will literally drop you off on The Embarcadero and you can just follow that around to Pier 27.  You'll drive right by AT&T Park (or whatever they're calling it now), Red's Java Hut (legendary SF dive and best burgers in The City), under the Bay Bridge and past the Ferry Building.   I believe the garage at 80 Francisco is a block or two after you pass Pier 27.  Caution:  traffic can be heavy on The Embarcadero sometimes, especially on Saturdays and Sundays, so allow yourself adequate time for traffic delays.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FTBLCOACH said:

As you leave port, The City will be on your port (left) side.  Alcatraz and Angel Island will be on your starboard (right) side so you may want to be able to shuffle back and forth for pix.  Deck 14 is usually pretty crowded for sail away but you can usually find a good railing spot somewhere.  You can always go up to Deck 15 or Deck 16 which tend to be a little less crowded but more exposed to the weather.  Regardless of the weather, wear a jacket.  It's probably going to be cool and very windy on the way to the bridge...nothing you can do about it.  Sometimes we'll try and secure a spot behind one of the light blue plastic windbreaks to deflect the breeze.

If you're coming up from LA and staying about 45 minutes from The City then I'm guessing you're going to be on the peninsula somewhere.  Based on that assumption (yeah, I know, never ASS U ME anything) the best way to Pier 27 from there is to take I-280N and stay on it until it ends.  It will literally drop you off on The Embarcadero and you can just follow that around to Pier 27.  You'll drive right by AT&T Park (or whatever they're calling it now), Red's Java Hut (legendary SF dive and best burgers in The City), under the Bay Bridge and past the Ferry Building.   I believe the garage at 80 Francisco is a block or two after you pass Pier 27.  Caution:  traffic can be heavy on The Embarcadero sometimes, especially on Saturdays and Sundays, so allow yourself adequate time for traffic delays.

Thanks! 🙂 We are staying in Castro Valley (about 27 miles - about 45 min has been the average drive time) So we will be taking the 80 into SF (if I looked at that correct). Seemed to be a good enough stretch without having to pay SF prices. haha We are saving our hotel money for a 2 day stay at a hot springs resort on the way home 😉  We will be early for sure, because we are used to LA traffic and sometimes it just flat out sucks. But thanks for the traffic tips. 

I will be ready with a jacket and light gloves (so I can at least hold my camera lol). I have not been to SF in about 20 years, so I am looking forward to seeing the city. It is just not as close from where we are now. I want to bring the kids up there soon. 

Thanks again! I do appreciate it!

If you have a lot of luggage I suggest dropping it off first at the pier then proceeding to the parking garage.   We usually leave someone at pier with the carryon and another goes and parks car.   As everyone has said it is an easy walk back from parking car to the pier.   At the end of the cruise same thing.  Porter puts luggage curbside and someone waits while car is retrieved.   This is if you don’t want to pull luggage around the street.  

I forgot you have to pay before.  It has always been that way but forgot since in San Pedro you pay at the end of cruise.  

Going under the GG is always fun.  Never have missed it and have cruises out of SF almost a dozen times.  It is fun going under the bridge and the people above waving.   

1 hour ago, FTBLCOACH said:

. . . . 

Having done two on Grand this year already I'll chime in too on a few points.  The vast majority of what's been written matches our recent experiences, a few exceptions.

- On our February cruise we arrived at pier 27 about 10:45 and breezed right through security.  Cards in hand the boarding lounge had already been cleared by 11:00.  We were settled in at the IC by 11:20 and had a short wait before the MDR opened for lunch (now at 11:30 rather than 12:00 in days of old).  Our April cruise was more stressed, long lines for security and lines halted at the bottom of the escalator accordingly.  Not sure what was so different we arrived within 10 minutes of the same time.

- Sailaway was in both cases late by about 30 minutes, so 4:30 instead of the scheduled 4:00.  Muster drill was also 4:00 so most didn't complain about the delay / used it to their advantage to relocate to 'viewing locations'.

- As for traffic / parking the Embarcadero is INSANE on days ships are in port it can EASILY take 30 minutes to get from the point you turn onto Embarcadero from 280 to the pier (a distance of 2.6 miles).  I would highly advise looking for an alternate route to 80 Francisco though I agree every GPS in the world is going to try and send you along Embarcadero.  

- Fixed dining was indeed 5:00 / 7:15.

- Say hello to cocktail server Kenny from the Philippines he is simply the best.  Was working Crooners on our Feb cruise and Wheelhouse on our April one.  He'll be onboard until June.

• Like 1

Just got off the Grand from a 15 night Hawaii cruise. 

Check-in/embarkation: Was a breeze, we got in earlier than our check in time and were able to check in early and were on board really fast. Minimal lines. We found a seat in the Explorer's Lounge and had a relaxing time before our rooms were ready. We take our own bags with us and everyone was putting their bags either in Explorer's or Vista lounges. Just make sure your stuff is marked well and have a stroll. There's plenty of staff around, didn't feel at all that there was any risk of theft on board. It was nice! 

Our departure on the last cruise was scheduled for 4PM, we had mooring lines pulled and were in motion by 4:30 or so, we passed the Golden Gate at 4:58PM. 

Dining times: We had the 7:30 seating, but opted to do any time a few times to accommodate shows, etc. Wasn't a huge issue at all, didn't have our seating times change at any point. 

Parking: We used impark's reservation system for the 80 Francisco Street garage. Worked out well, and walking back from the ship only took maybe 10 minutes. As noted, it's a couple blocks from the terminal, but not at all a pain. Plenty of space in their structure, good location. As with anything else, just take a few minutes to make sure you secure valuables and don't leave anything visible in the vehicle and you'll be fine. Friendly staff, easy process. Just make sure you bring a print out of the reservation with you. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jondfk said:

Having done two on Grand this year already I'll chime in too on a few points.  The vast majority of what's been written matches our recent experiences, a few exceptions.

- On our February cruise we arrived at pier 27 about 10:45 and breezed right through security.  Cards in hand the boarding lounge had already been cleared by 11:00.  We were settled in at the IC by 11:20 and had a short wait before the MDR opened for lunch (now at 11:30 rather than 12:00 in days of old).  Our April cruise was more stressed, long lines for security and lines halted at the bottom of the escalator accordingly.  Not sure what was so different we arrived within 10 minutes of the same time.

- Sailaway was in both cases late by about 30 minutes, so 4:30 instead of the scheduled 4:00.  Muster drill was also 4:00 so most didn't complain about the delay / used it to their advantage to relocate to 'viewing locations'.

- As for traffic / parking the Embarcadero is INSANE on days ships are in port it can EASILY take 30 minutes to get from the point you turn onto Embarcadero from 280 to the pier (a distance of 2.6 miles).  I would highly advise looking for an alternate route to 80 Francisco though I agree every GPS in the world is going to try and send you along Embarcadero.  

- Fixed dining was indeed 5:00 / 7:15.

- Say hello to cocktail server Kenny from the Philippines he is simply the best.  Was working Crooners on our Feb cruise and Wheelhouse on our April one.  He'll be onboard until June.

I will try to remember Kenny! 😉 I just looked for an alternative route and it seems like that area is full of little streets, one ways and strange paths. lol 

Are life jackets still needed for Muster on Grand? We needed them on Emerald but that was 11/17 and I have been seeing that boats are changing that. 

Great information! Thank you!

5 hours ago, VengefulWalnut said:

Just got off the Grand from a 15 night Hawaii cruise. 

Check-in/embarkation: Was a breeze, we got in earlier than our check in time and were able to check in early and were on board really fast. Minimal lines. We found a seat in the Explorer's Lounge and had a relaxing time before our rooms were ready. We take our own bags with us and everyone was putting their bags either in Explorer's or Vista lounges. Just make sure your stuff is marked well and have a stroll. There's plenty of staff around, didn't feel at all that there was any risk of theft on board. It was nice! 

Our departure on the last cruise was scheduled for 4PM, we had mooring lines pulled and were in motion by 4:30 or so, we passed the Golden Gate at 4:58PM. 

Dining times: We had the 7:30 seating, but opted to do any time a few times to accommodate shows, etc. Wasn't a huge issue at all, didn't have our seating times change at any point. 

Parking: We used impark's reservation system for the 80 Francisco Street garage. Worked out well, and walking back from the ship only took maybe 10 minutes. As noted, it's a couple blocks from the terminal, but not at all a pain. Plenty of space in their structure, good location. As with anything else, just take a few minutes to make sure you secure valuables and don't leave anything visible in the vehicle and you'll be fine. Friendly staff, easy process. Just make sure you bring a print out of the reservation with you. 

Much thanks! I keep getting the itch to go back to anytime dining, but I think I want my husband to have the feel for traditional where the waiter knows you. 😉 Can you pop into anytime if you are scheduled for traditional? I think that defeats dining sign ups. I am always worried what if we are late to dinner than what do we do. lol 

17 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

Much thanks! I keep getting the itch to go back to anytime dining, but I think I want my husband to have the feel for traditional where the waiter knows you. 😉 Can you pop into anytime if you are scheduled for traditional? I think that defeats dining sign ups. I am always worried what if we are late to dinner than what do we do. lol 

You can’t use Anytime if you’re assigned Traditional. But you can opt to eat at a specialty restaurant or the buffet if you have either. That’s also an option if you’re going to be late for Traditional on a particular evening.

You could also splurge on a Club Class level room, and get anytime with a more dedicated wait staff.

That said, we’ve always done Anytime on Princess. And then we did Traditional-style on Disney. We lucked out with nice table-mates and good wait staff on Disney. But the service we’ve received in Anytime on Princess has been just as good. I don’t need a waiter to know my preferred drink order each night. And in Anytime, sometimes we had the same waiters/tables (you may even be able to request that in Anytime). 

48 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

You can’t use Anytime if you’re assigned Traditional. But you can opt to eat at a specialty restaurant or the buffet if you have either. That’s also an option if you’re going to be late for Traditional on a particular evening.

You could also splurge on a Club Class level room, and get anytime with a more dedicated wait staff.

That said, we’ve always done Anytime on Princess. And then we did Traditional-style on Disney. We lucked out with nice table-mates and good wait staff on Disney. But the service we’ve received in Anytime on Princess has been just as good. I don’t need a waiter to know my preferred drink order each night. And in Anytime, sometimes we had the same waiters/tables (you may even be able to request that in Anytime). 

We like the corner aft rooms, which are already a splurge for us lol My only issue with the specialty they do not really conform to my dietary restrictions (surgery for pancreatic cancer). I have tried to look over the menus and try to pick out what I can eat and it is not worth the price for what I am not even eating. It is a bummer. I do like a good steak but my body just does not. 😞 I wish that the buffet actually had a salad bar. There are times I am happy with a nice salad. lol It is funny because my mom tried to tell me, oh you guys sure like your food. Umm... actually no. I have to watch what I eat and I just want a nice vacation that I do not have to do all the work to get there 😉 

Another reason for trying Traditional was because of the dietary stuff. Last cruise I had a dietary card and it told me to give to my head waiter to go over stuff and I tried 2 different nights to get help and no one helped me. I just tried to make sure I did not pick anything that looked like it could be hiding creams or stuff that I cannot eat. I was hoping that this round I could have more help and let dinner be less stressful. 😉 But now the making it to dinner on time might stress me out. lmao. Hey, at least it is vacation time soon!! YAY!

Butting on here with a question that hopefully someone familiar with SFO can help.

We're flying in from FL the day before embarkation, and need a decent, but not 5-star hotel, as we have a budget to stick to and it seems like all the national chain hotels are rather pricey. We'd kinda like to be near Fisherman's Wharf, as my daughter(adult) has never been to SFO before and I think she'd enjoy visiting it. Someone on the roll call suggested Hotel Zephyr, and I've looked it up online, and the pricing was pretty good, as compared to others in the general area.

Is anyone familiar enough with that particular hotel to say it's an OK place to spend one night. Or can anyone offer other possibilities.

21 minutes ago, flamomo said:

Butting on here with a question that hopefully someone familiar with SFO can help.

We're flying in from FL the day before embarkation, and need a decent, but not 5-star hotel, as we have a budget to stick to and it seems like all the national chain hotels are rather pricey. We'd kinda like to be near Fisherman's Wharf, as my daughter(adult) has never been to SFO before and I think she'd enjoy visiting it. Someone on the roll call suggested Hotel Zephyr, and I've looked it up online, and the pricing was pretty good, as compared to others in the general area.

Is anyone familiar enough with that particular hotel to say it's an OK place to spend one night. Or can anyone offer other possibilities.

I’m a local, so I haven’t stayed there, but the location looks good. And it looks like a nice place to stay, and it has good reviews. I’d have no qualms booking it if the price was right.

11 hours ago, Dani24 said:

Not to refute, and it might've been the way things worked out for us. But they did allow us to bounce into the anytime room a few times without any issue. Our table mates did the same a couple of days (which is how we found out about it). Might have been capacity being lower? Either way, could only speak from personal experience over the last few weeks. 

11 minutes ago, VengefulWalnut said:

Not to refute, and it might've been the way things worked out for us. But they did allow us to bounce into the anytime room a few times without any issue. Our table mates did the same a couple of days (which is how we found out about it). Might have been capacity being lower? Either way, could only speak from personal experience over the last few weeks. 

I would call it the extreme exception, and wouldn't rely on it at all.

In general, it's not allowed because they only have so much capacity to feed everyone on board. If Traditional diners could opt to eat in Anytime on some nights it would displace/disrupt Anytime diners who don't have the option of dropping in on Traditional if Anytime is inconvenient (e.g. too full from Traditional diners deciding to eat at a different time). Maybe on that particular sailing dining room use was lower than normal. Or maybe you went at a very off-peak time for Anytime so the Maitre'd didn't see it as being too impactful to the Anytime customers.

3 hours ago, flamomo said:

Hotel Zephyr is okay, I'd rate it as solidly 'decent' which is what you said you're looking for.  

Another suggestion, though not near Fisherman's Wharf (closer to Union Square) is The Marker San Francisco an older property decently updated.  501 Geary two blocks from Union Square.  Not 5-star but usually decent rates.  A quite decent Italian place in the lobby.  Breakfast will not impress - box lunch style - but multiple good options a short walk away.

Hello all!!!!    Just booked this cruise (June 25) for my Son and Daughter-in-law (first cruise).

Hoping you can help with several questions: 

1.  I've read that from San Francisco up to Alaska has pretty rough waters.   Any suggestions of what to bring along in case of sea sickness (or to prevent sea sickness)?    Would a doctor prescription type medicine be appropriate?

2.  I would like to book several dinners for them in the speciality dining venues (one for birthday and one for anniversary).    In your opinion, how would you rate the different venues?     

Also what nights are dress up nights - where there is already a possibility of lobster and/or crab legs in the main dining rooms.   

Thank You!!

Karen

On 5/8/2019 at 6:14 AM, flamomo said:

Hotel Zephyr is a great choice. Daughter loves that place and they have Nespresso machines in rooms!

EDIT: oops, Hotel Zeppelin is the one I meant. Sorry!

Edited by Coffeeluvr05

On 5/7/2019 at 10:37 PM, Katwoman007 said:

There was a nice salad bar on our recent 15 day Grand Princess Cruise to Hawaii.  My husband had a huge salad with all sorts of goodies at least twice.  A large selection of salad fixings.

You wrote:

“We like the corner aft rooms, which are already a splurge for us lol My only issue with the specialty they do not really conform to my dietary restrictions (surgery for pancreatic cancer). I have tried to look over the menus and try to pick out what I can eat and it is not worth the price for what I am not even eating. It is a bummer. I do like a good steak but my body just does not. 😞 I wish that the buffet actually had a salad bar. There are times I am happy with a nice salad. lol It is funny because my mom tried to tell me, oh you guys sure like your food. Umm... actually no. I have to watch what I eat and I just want a nice vacation that I do not have to do all the work to get there 😉 

Edited by Linsifer

I’m wondering what else you would like to have that defines a salad bar.  It seems there was quite a variety of veggies and fruits and lettuce, dressings available.  At least my husband was able to choose an abundance of salad fixings.  I imagine ships with larger Horizon Court buffets offer a separate salad bar area? 

51 minutes ago, Linsifer said:

I’m wondering what else you would like to have that defines a salad bar.  It seems there was quite a variety of veggies and fruits and lettuce, dressings available.  At least my husband was able to choose an abundance of salad fixings.  I imagine ships with larger Horizon Court buffets offer a separate salad bar area? 

On the Emerald, I never saw a salad. If they did, it was just a lettuce mix and dressing. I would love to see lettuce with tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots at the least, with maybe some cheese, some kind of crouton and more than just ranch or Italian dressing. It is probably asking too much. I remember going over just for a salad and ended up ordering a simple salad with chicken from room service.