Grand Africa Oct 2020 map

scubadawg

25 minutes ago, woodinville cruisers said:

Ruth,

Are you taking the Grand Africa cruise?

Brent and I met you on the Prinsendam  last September for the rivers of Europe cruise and showed you our really spacious inside cabin.

Mary

I'm toying with the idea of the Boston to Cape Town segment. I have to research it a bit more.
It would be lovely to see you & Brent again. Prinsendam was a great cruise.

Ruth, we are also wanting to do the Ft. Lauderdale to Cape Town segment if it becomes available.  I hope we will learn more about the segments in the next couple of weeks.  What do you think?  I am thinking that they will not need to have segments as the ship will fill quickly as it is.

The cabin that we had on the Grand Asia is taken as are everything in that block that we liked on Deck 3.

Edited by S&B

20 minutes ago, S&B said:

Ruth, we are also wanting to do the Ft. Lauderdale to Cape Town segment if it becomes available.  I hope we will learn more about the segments in the next couple of weeks.  What do you think?  I am thinking that they will not need to have segments as the ship will fill quickly as it is.

I'm thinking that I don't like booking a guarantee cabin since that limits me to the type of mobility device I can rent. I book inside cabins, and only a few (non-accessible, since I don't need that), will hold a scooter; otherwise I have to have a rollator. Each has advantages and disadvantages, but it's a real consideration.
Then, there's that long flight back from Cape Town; obviously I can't get a non-stop flight, which would be my preference. I need to see how many connections I would have to have.

And, of course, there is your well-taken point about will the ship book out with full-cruise passengers---making every other consideration moot.

But I know my cruising days are winding down, and I would love to go out with something spectacular. Like this!
So, we'll see how it plays out.

Yesterday afternoon decided to see what's up on CC, since I hadn't looked for awhile, and saw this thread. It didn't take a long conversation with my DW  to lead to us booking the whole trip this morning RT FLL (J cat. 5,000 down). The quick decision was no doubt sparked by our very enjoyable first long cruise last year (Grand Med./Africa) on Prinsendam. Loved the ship and itinerary. 

Jacqui--while I haven't been to Ceuta to compare, we really enjoyed the Souk El Had (Sunday Market) in Agadir and look forward to another visit.

Quick question--Is there still a library on the Amsterdam? Haven't sailed on her, but have read a little about what has been done in the Crow's Nest to several ships. Can we look forward to something akin to the library on Prinsendam?  I'm guessing Amsterdam must have a decent library, since she's used for World Voyages. 

David

On 6/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, rafinmd said:

The posts which discuss tours on this thread violate Cruise Critic Guidelines and should simply be deleted.  The roll call started by budddawn has the right format for inclusion in the roll call tool and should become the official one.

This thread should be a general discussion of the nature of the voyage.

Roy

How do we get to the roll call started by budddawn?

2 hours ago, dawei said:

Quick question--Is there still a library on the Amsterdam?

There was a few weeks ago when I disembarked. It was not as extensive as that on the Prinsendam, but close.
I was especially impressed with the 'leave one, take one' section. It had a large selection, and a good turnover. I must have read 6-8 books just from that section alone in the four weeks I was aboard.

1 minute ago, DeeDee Groff said:

Good to see you here and know you and Lenny will be aboard, Bonita!!

Please come over and join us on the roll call when you have a few minutes.

Cheers,

DeeDee (aka Deb)

Will do!  (All this threads are quite confusing!  Hope the link from Rick is where everyone will end up!)

Great to be cruising with you again, Deb.

Bonita

16 hours ago, dawei said:

Jacqui--while I haven't been to Ceuta to compare, we really enjoyed the Souk El Had (Sunday Market) in Agadir and look forward to another visit.

Thanks - we’ve done Agadir and once was enough for us - (ports are subjective, like food 😉 ) especially when we compare it to Ceuta.  We really loved our visit there on the Prinsendam.  You can tour and see a lot or you can do an easy, enjoyable DIY in the town.

People and it are charming.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I for one am not impressed.

We are waitlisted for the entire thing when I requested a segment.

and, not only that, finally got the email and I have until Monday to cancel.  Seriously?

NOT impressed at all.  Just get the email now and my deadline is Monday?

Making a note tomorrow to call and get my money back.

I am more than ticked when they didn’t even get it right.

I should have known better NOT to book on board.  First time ever as I thought this FCC was good. NEVER AGAIN

Hi Jacqui,

Sorry you didn’t have a good experience and sorry you and Jose won’t be joining. It’s always fun to sail with you. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t appear they’ve opened any segments yet (perhaps that the reason for the waitlist notation). 

Hope you, Jose and the puppies have a wonderful summer. 

Andrea

7 hours ago, AndreaB said:

Hi Jacqui,

Sorry you didn’t have a good experience and sorry you and Jose won’t be joining. It’s always fun to sail with you. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t appear they’ve opened any segments yet (perhaps that the reason for the waitlist notation). 

Hope you, Jose and the puppies have a wonderful summer. 

Andrea

Thanks Andrea. 🙂 

I guess I’m new at the Grand thing but I’m not about to do a deposit when there is no price on the confirmation at all and the dates are wrong.

I know, I’m fussy.

Hope you have a fabulous summer as well and have fun preparing for the new addition to your family 🙂 

Jacqui, we just got confirmation on our segment  so they are releasing those to futuredam bookings.  We contacted our PCC because like you I got info on Friday and it said deposit by Monday!  We decided to cancel this return segment because the per diem was too high IMHO .We were looking at the CPT to FLL leg and there are only 8 ports with lots of sea days on the crossing.  Figured we could do 2 28 day cruises in Asia or Europe for less money. 

We requested a segment on 2021 WC but like you it came thru as the full cruise with hefty deposit due without knowing for sure what the segments will even be so turning that down too. 

We are on a segment of the 2020 WC. so will be happy with that.  Karen

On 6/5/2019 at 2:03 PM, woodinville cruisers said:

I got a detailed quote from Liselle Raath at Sun Safari for the 3 nights at Notten's Bush Camp, 1 night at Cape Codogan hotel in Cape Town, road transfer Maputo harbor to Notten's, road transfer Notten's to Skukuza Airport, flight from Skukuza airport to Cape Town with South African Airways, road transfer Cape Town Airport to Cape Codogan, road transfer Cape Codogan hotel to Cape Town harbor. 

Notten's Bush Camp is all inclusive and includes the lodging, 2 game drives a day, meals, drinks etc.

The cost for this for two people is R85,400 total.

The cost for staying 4 nights at the bush lodge and not staying at a hotel in Cape Town is R92,200.

We have to make up our minds as to how many days we will spend at the Safari Lodge.

I'm hoping that the cost could come down slightly if other people join us since the vehicle could be shared for the road transfers.

We'll be booking by the end of this week.  There is a 30 % deposit.  I'll take out insurance when I pay that since it looks to be non refundable.

Mary

Please keep me posted.  Looks good!  Thanks

28 minutes ago, skippy1234 said:

28 minutes ago, skippy1234 said:

This is roll call info.  Please copy it to that forum.  Thanks.