Jump to content

Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?


jedco
 Share

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Dining or just drinking, Vic?

 

JB 🙂

Either or both! There’s about 20 (?) pre-cruise CC-ers meeting at 7 p.m. to say ‘hello’ and have a bite of supper. Guess we’ll be in the back room. Hope you can make it…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello again: As advised I will wait until August 29 to make my decision whether to take the bus or train to Southampton on October 22 from Central London. I am leaning towards taking the bus. If I take the bus, do I have to pay extra for luggage if I only have carryon and personal item?  Are reserved seats necessary?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I started reading from page 1, then realized I was reading a lot of info that was almost five years old and/or didn't apply to me.  Thought of starting a new, simpler thread, but figured I'd try here first:

 

Landing at LHR, T3--AA--at 9:00 am on Monday 22 July 2024.  Heading directly to Holiday Inn Southampton for 4 night precruise.  Two of us will probably each have 50 lb (23 kg) suitcases and, perhaps a carry-on each.  Best way?  Simple better.  Less expensive better. But least walking and fewer changes important as well.  Recommendations?  Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

I started reading from page 1, then realized I was reading a lot of info that was almost five years old and/or didn't apply to me.  Thought of starting a new, simpler thread, but figured I'd try here first:

 

Landing at LHR, T3--AA--at 9:00 am on Monday 22 July 2024.  Heading directly to Holiday Inn Southampton for 4 night precruise.  Two of us will probably each have 50 lb (23 kg) suitcases and, perhaps a carry-on each.  Best way?  Simple better.  Less expensive better. But least walking and fewer changes important as well.  Recommendations?  Thanks.


Cheapest - National Express coach direct from Heathrow to Southampton. Runs every couple of hours from Heathrow central bus station which is a 5-10 minute walk from T3 via underground tunnels with moving walkways. Then a short cab ride at the Southampton end.

 

Simplest - private car transfer, door to door. Not cheap though, it’s at least a 90 minute drive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2023 at 9:59 PM, bedfordmom said:

Hello again: As advised I will wait until August 29 to make my decision whether to take the bus or train to Southampton on October 22 from Central London. I am leaning towards taking the bus. If I take the bus, do I have to pay extra for luggage if I only have carryon and personal item?  Are reserved seats necessary?

 

If it's not too late for you, cheap advance train tickets are now available for that weekend of 21 / 22 October🙂

Direct trains between London Waterloo and Southampton central are not affected  by the engineering work  altho passengers destined for stations beyond Southampton will be transferred to buses at Southampton airport to avoid town traffic.

Cheap tickets have now been made available for both the saturday & the sunday, starting from about £9 instead of the walk-up fare of £41 or more. Bear in mind that the cheap tickets are only good for the train time that you chose, if you miss it your tickets are trash & you'll have to buy walk-up tickets for the next one.

Cheap tickets tend to increase in price as the date closes in, so if you decide to go by train get your tickets now.

 

If you choose Nat Express bus the luggage allowance is one 20kg (44lb) case per passenger plus hand luggage. The 20kg limit is to absolve the company of responsibility if the driver injures their back -  but the drivers aren't wimps, they don't carry scales or tape-measures, and the limits aren't rigidly applied like aircraft limits. You should have no problem if size and weight are there or thereabouts.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/luggage-lost-property

Reserved seats aren't necessary, but there's the small risk that you won't find two seats together.

If you do pay the small surcharge to reserve seats can I suggest that you avoid seats behind the rear axle, where the bathroom is located and where the ride is a little more bouncy. 

 

JB 🙂

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

You are always right on your advice. 

Let’s not get carried away…. 🤣🤣

 

There’s a value in certainty when making plans from afar, and easier for us to say “It will probably be like this” (and deal with it if it isn’t!), so you were probably right too 😀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi everyone, a couple of questions :

Do any of you know how far the National Express stop is from Southampton Port (buses to London)?

& if you have used private car service which will pick you up at the port... do you have any company you recommend?

 

Thanks in advance for any info 🙂

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

hi everyone, a couple of questions :

Do any of you know how far the National Express stop is from Southampton Port (buses to London)?

& if you have used private car service which will pick you up at the port... do you have any company you recommend?

 

Thanks in advance for any info 🙂

 

 

Used Meadway from LHR to hotel in London and then hotel to ship.  Excellent service.  Prompt replies to emails. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Used Meadway from LHR to hotel in London and then hotel to ship.  Excellent service.  Prompt replies to emails. 

 

Thanks  🙂 

Actually, we live in London, I'm looking for info for when we get back, we are boarding in Italy, when we get back, we are thinking maybe paying a private car from port (Southampton) to our place in London  will end up cheaper than anything else....

Train would be great, but too much luggage, next option are the `national Express buses, which have a stop relatively near us, but depending on how far away from the Port the National Express buses are, we will have to pay a cab to the bus, then arriving here we'll need to get a taxi home, which wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have the huge amount of luggage, I am in a wheelchair which my daughter pushes as is  only a transit one (4 small wheels instead of the two big ones) would like to know about prices of transfers,  is Medway a car company?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

hi everyone, a couple of questions :

Do any of you know how far the National Express stop is from Southampton Port (buses to London)?

& if you have used private car service which will pick you up at the port... do you have any company you recommend?

 

Thanks in advance for any info 🙂

 

 

We used Jewels Airport Transfers from LHR to Southampton hotel and then from Southampton cruise port back to LHR. The driver was Lucas and he communicated with me every step of the way. We would definitely use them again.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

 

Thanks  🙂 

Actually, we live in London, I'm looking for info for when we get back, we are boarding in Italy, when we get back, we are thinking maybe paying a private car from port (Southampton) to our place in London  will end up cheaper than anything else....

Train would be great, but too much luggage, next option are the `national Express buses, which have a stop relatively near us, but depending on how far away from the Port the National Express buses are, we will have to pay a cab to the bus, then arriving here we'll need to get a taxi home, which wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have the huge amount of luggage, I am in a wheelchair which my daughter pushes as is  only a transit one (4 small wheels instead of the two big ones) would like to know about prices of transfers,  is Medway a car company?

See if Meadway will pick you up.  My friends,  former Londoners, have used them for years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

…if you have used private car service which will pick you up at the port... do you have any company you recommend?

 

Just off a cruise yesterday at Southampton and used Aquacars. £140 from the Port to a Heathrow hotel. No problems with the service. One suggestion…agree on a meeting spot. Could be at the Terminal exit door. Although the driver should have your name showing on a card, may be parked in Lane 3, the pre-arranged lane, or in the Car Park. Cheers!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

Thank you John I did not listen to you and bought the bus tickets  before the train went down which was more than advanced train tickets. You are always right on your advice. 

 

 

The problem wasn't just the planned engineering works, it was also the train operator's ambiguous website note, which read like folk had to switch to a bus at Southampton airport for all onward journeys.

Plus, the indirect service (trains which involve a change at Basingstoke, between Waterloo & Southampton central still involves a bus replacement at Southampton airport 

But the real problem was that because they didn't seem to know what they were doing they weren't offering cheap advance tickets until a few days ago.

 

No worries, the Nat Express fares are about the same as the advance train fares, service is good, the buses are comfortable & have in-seat wifi and bathroom, & no schlepping of luggage.

And it's good to have the certainty 🙂

 

@Cotswold Eagle - please lay off down-playing my advice, my feathered friend. Even though you're right,  I'll take all the compliments I can get. 🤣🤣🤣

 

JB 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 2:52 AM, irisbax3 said:

We used Jewels Airport Transfers from LHR to Southampton hotel and then from Southampton cruise port back to LHR. The driver was Lucas and he communicated with me every step of the way. We would definitely use them again.

 

thanks everyone for your recommendations!

I looked all up, but special thank you @irisbax3 , called Jewels which was the price we could afford, spoke to a marvellous guy, booked the pick up and today he communicated with us as soon as we were outside the cruise terminal, we get wheelchair assistance (which was great too) and had lots of luggage, the driver was amazing, great car, wonderful drive.  So thank you so so much for the recommendation.

Cruise Critic in general has been beyond valuable in making our trip experience a brilliant one, thanks everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/15/2023 at 7:08 AM, MrsPeel55 said:

 

thanks everyone for your recommendations!

I looked all up, but special thank you @irisbax3 , called Jewels which was the price we could afford, spoke to a marvellous guy, booked the pick up and today he communicated with us as soon as we were outside the cruise terminal, we get wheelchair assistance (which was great too) and had lots of luggage, the driver was amazing, great car, wonderful drive.  So thank you so so much for the recommendation.

Cruise Critic in general has been beyond valuable in making our trip experience a brilliant one, thanks everyone.

You're very welcome. So glad it worked out for you. I agree that CC is a valuable travel tool.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CC boards are a valuable tool and our trips benefit from the research and experiences of others. Thank you, we appreciate it and contribute when possible.

 

That said, sometimes these pinned topics become a little unwieldy.  800+ posts, and  pre-pandemic information that is no longer relevant in post-pandemic travel (businesses that have closed, prices have changed significantly, etc.). Does someone edit these pinned posts or is it time for a fresh start?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Blue and Green said:

The CC boards are a valuable tool and our trips benefit from the research and experiences of others. Thank you, we appreciate it and contribute when possible.

 

That said, sometimes these pinned topics become a little unwieldy.  800+ posts, and  pre-pandemic information that is no longer relevant in post-pandemic travel (businesses that have closed, prices have changed significantly, etc.). Does someone edit these pinned posts or is it time for a fresh start?

 

 

Yes, there was a discussion back in March 2019 about making this a pinned topic. 

Several of us were against it for the sort of reasons you've mentioned and for the wide variety of circumstance, but the mods rated it better than contributors having to frequently repeat themselves.  (I wasn't the only one who'd gotten round that by saving common Q&A and regurgitating them, with edits to update or to suit more-specific questions).

 

And yes, Covid, increased cost-of-living & the march of time now make too much of the early information useless or even downright incorrect.

 

Perhaps it's time to prune the thread - mebbe back to the beginning of 2022 or even 2023 ?

 

JB 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree to prune the thread is a great idea.  But I would like to say a big thank you to whoever suggested staying in Winchester before sailing out of Southampton.  July 2024, we are flying into Heathrow a few days before catching the Apex in Southampton, and we are lucky to say that we've seen quite a bit of London, Bath, Cotswolds, etc, on prior trips - I'd never thought about Winchester, what a wonderful idea!  We now have reserved a terrific Bed and Breakfast for two nights and are really looking forward to exploring the oh so famous cathedral, as well as an area which is new to us as well as a VERY short trip to the port - only 14 miles.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Set Sail Beyond the Ordinary with Oceania Cruises
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: The Widest View in the Whole Wide World
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...