Lack of a Dress Code

Prince

Phil, it's not that your 'tails and black hat' are inappropriate per se; it's just that when you tuck three black feather boas into the waistband of your speedo, and call that your "tails" and wear a black ski mask, and call that your "hat," you're offending some of us snob/elitist/poseurs!:D

Andrew

Phil, it's not that your 'tails and black hat' are inappropriate per se; it's just that when you tuck three black feather boas into the waistband of your speedo, and call that your "tails" and wear a black ski mask, and call that your "hat," you're offending some of us snob/elitist/poseurs!:D

Andrew

Andrew, I am truly sorry to offend, I will burn that ensemble as soon as I get home from work:o

Phil

Andrew

At least my cumberbum matchs my speedo,does that count? :cool::cool:

Yes, they're fine. I think the main thing is to use common sense. I always have capris with me, a light cotton or linen. I use accessories to dress it up a bit, such as colorful bracelets, earrings, etc and then a nice pair of kitten heeled sandals. No flip flops, thongs or t-shirts!. And definitely no speedos! :)

Yes, they're fine. I think the main thing is to use common sense. I always have capris with me, a light cotton or linen. I use accessories to dress it up a bit, such as colorful bracelets, earrings, etc and then a nice pair of kitten heeled sandals. No flip flops, thongs or t-shirts!. And definitely no speedos! :)

Julieanne, thanks so much. You just never know about capris. I'll definitlley dress it up though.

I don't understand the whole "flip flop" mentality. There are cruise lines where you don't have to dress up, why not go on those?

--I could not agree more. When we took our first cruise in 2000, we specifically told our TA that we would like a cruiseline that still had dressing up for dinner etc. and the TA recommended Celebrity. In less than 5 years, things seem to be changing. Too bad. Why is it necessary for people to continually want the lowest common denominator for everything? Why not go on a line that emphasizes casual, if that is what you want?

And for those people who say they paid so much money, why should they dress up? Because the rest of the passengers would like to enjoy a certain ambiance of civility that seems to be sorely lacking these days. There is nothing wrong with dressing nicely for a few days a year.

-- Other posters on other threads commented that there was a "certain magic around the ship" when everyone was dressed up, and that is true, and that they "sold their friends" on Celebrity because of its dressing-up policy.

I question the maitre'd not being able to do anything. Why wouldn't these people be sent to another dining area?

-- You are quite correct.

I have been to golf courses that have no qualms about turning people away for not adhering to course rules regarding dress codes.

--Right again. I think that other posters on this thread have the right idea; those of us who feel strongly on the issue, should write to Celebrity.

This will only be my third cruise and my first on Celebrity, but I'm actually looking forward to dressing up. We have out here what we call "Tucson casual". This can be further distinguished by "Tucson Casual" and Tucson High Casual". Basically this means shorts or jeans with t-shirts for the former, and capris, khakis or other non-jeans pants with polos or other non-t-shirt shirts (is that too many dashes for a made up word?). Even at a fancy restaurant here, you will only find maybe 10% of the individuals "dressed up" at any time of the year. This may have a lot to do with 110 degree plus summers, but anything beyond Sunday-best (which only comes out for church, weddings, and funerals) is almost never seen out here.

This makes Tucson very accessible to all and makes it easy to still go to cultural events (plays, musicals, operas, etc.) even when you're running late and still in work clothes. But it leaves the wishful fantasy part of dressing up missing for me. I bought a beautiful red silk beaded top which I still haven't had a chance to wear because there just isn't really an appropriate venue here. I loved the idea that I got to go buy a new formal gown for my upcoming cruise on the Century where there are supposed to be 3 formal nights. I even convinced my husband that it would time to invest in his own tuxedo, one that fits him well and that he's comfortable in rather than renting one (that also assures me that we'll be taking more cruises since its probably the only place he'll wear it).

Sorry for the long post, I normally lurk on these rather than joining in the discussion.

Ok I know i have made a few jokes,and my name sure doesnt lend to the fact,but i couldnt agree more about being dressed correctly for dinner.

I think one of the best parts of a cruise is formal night.I own a tux so that isnt a problem for me.

I dont like the fact that every cruise I have to surrender the credit card so my G/F can get a new cocktail dress Or 2,(if there is more then 1 formal night on the cruise).Let along the new shoes/hand bag/jewelry and other "needed" accessories.But her shopping habits are are a whole other topic.:eek::eek:

On another note I do have a question for the ladies about these capri pants?

I dont get it,pants can be expensive,so why does someone pay the same price for 3/4 length pants instead of full length pants?

If your going to buy pants,why not get your moneys worth?:D:D

why does someone pay the same price for 3/4 length pants instead of full length pants?

If your going to buy pants,why not get your moneys worth?:D:D

Hey 'fatmaninaspeedo', given your choice for swimwear, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?;) My boxer short swim trunks probably cost LESS than your speedo, and have the added value that people all around the pool are grateful for my purchase!:D

Bob, no, your t-shirt isn't allowed, except maybe at a formal trip to "Papas and Beer" in Ensenada!:eek: Hello to Jude!

Andrew

Hey 'fatmaninaspeedo', given your choice for swimwear, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?;) My boxer short swim trunks probably cost LESS than your speedo, and have the added value that people all around the pool are grateful for my purchase!:D

Andrew

They may not admit it, but "chicks dig the speedo" :D

On a side note,I always make sure I color coordinate my speedos with my soxs and sandals. Basic black all the way to lime green.

{QUOTE=FatMan Ina Speeo}

They may not admit it, but "chicks dig the speedo" :D.

:eek:

Oh sure we do, when they are worn by a guy with a perfect physique.

Just as you guys dig bikinis on a perfect figure - but, certainly not upon an out of shape, aging chick!:eek:

Just in from Infinity and can report for 1st seating a strong 96% properly dressed on formal night however only 50% on the informal night. They post signs, they put it several times in the daily you get and they spell it out before you go in your ticket documents. How do people not know? That's the mystery but the reason you hear horror stories here from time to time and inconsistant reports is simple: you can pick your the ship, the places to go and the week to go but you will never be able to pick the other 2000+/- people going with you. Sometimes you just get a week full of (insert your description of these people who don't get it here) and there is not anything you can do about it. You just shake your head in disbelief and continue to enjoy your cruise in spite of others.

Archived