Lack of a Dress Code

Prince

Last cruise was with RCI. Wore my tux with pride. Fresh from ebay. Saw some very wild ones for sale. The rest of the nights I also dressed up. Wore at least slacks, jacket and a collared sport shirt. And I felt super. It made it one of our very best cruises. Kind of an anti-slob thing. Also ran into a time when I accidently broke a rule and was called on it. We had been to the hot tubs. I didn`t button my shirt. We stopped by the buffet to grab a drink to take back to the room. I was asked to button the shirt or stay out of there. I thanked the guy for stopping me.So there is class around and it doesn`t have to be on Celebrity.

John

Good going

Julieann=We are traveling on the Infinity on 2/5 and for those ogf you who would rather not say hello because my SO- is not wearing a jacket in the dining room--He wore a uniform defending his right to wear what he is comfortable in for 23 years!!!! Have you done the same? He is entitled to spend his hard earned money on any ship he pleases - he will be dressed neat, clean and comfortable in kackis and a sport shirt-- if you don't like it please keep away-- we wouldn't want to spoil your trip-- and wouldn't want you to spoil ours-- .

We all thank your husband for his service however you are missing one point that you have no control over. Depending on what ship you are on, your husband may be denied entry into the dining room because he doesn't have a jacket and tie on. I don't care what he wears but that is a fact that you can't do anything about. You have to follow the rules of the ship. Doesn't matter how much he spent.

You have to follow the rules of the ship. Doesn't matter how much he spent.

He could also always wear his "dress blues", which would garner him a lot of attention and probably a lot of thanks from people for his serving his country as a career. On one of our trips, there was a young man who had served a hitch in the army and was currently in the reserves and he wore his dress blues on the formal nights. He never had to buy a drink on those nights because people kept buying drinks for him because he had served his country. Needless to say, though, the poor guy had to be carried back to his cabin on each of those nights. Apparently, he was too "considerate" to turn down anyone's offer. :D

Allen

My DH and I do dress according to what is suggested for the evening. However, I think there are degrees of non-compliance. There's a big difference IMHO in coming to dinner on "formal" night in country club casual and beach or picnic clothes. Nice slacks and collared shirt imply to me that the people prefer to not dress up. Shorts, jeans, t-shirt imply they don't care and "rules" are not for them. Frankly I don't let either one spoil my dinner or vacation, but the latter bothers me more. It's like other discussions here about manners and respect for others.

I did ask our head waiter on our last X cruise whether he talks to people about their dress on formal night. He said the last time he did, he went out of his way to be diplomatic and kind about it. The passenger reported him to his superior saying he was very rude. After that, he said he won't do it again. I guess they (dining room personnel) are caught between a rock and a hard place.

He could also always wear his "dress blues"' date=' which would garner him a lot of attention and probably a lot of thanks from people for his serving his country as a career. On one of our trips, there was a young man who had served a hitch in the army and was currently in the reserves and he wore his dress blues on the formal nights. He never had to buy a drink on those nights because people kept buying drinks for him because he had served his country. Needless to say, though, the poor guy had to be carried back to his cabin on each of those nights. Apparently, he was too "considerate" to turn down anyone's offer. :D

Allen[/quote']

maybe he developed a serious drinking problem when he discovered Bush,s propaganda for going to war in the first place..

FRANMA brings up a good point with respect to dining room personnel not wanting to play fashion police.

Several cruises ago an X maitre d' told us the staff is very hesitant, to the point of doing nothing, re denying inappropriately dressed guests entry into the dining room. Their hesitancy results from not wanting to get into verbal or physical encounters (which according to him, has occurred), as well as not wanting to receive negative comments or complaints from guests who will single them out for just trying to do their jobs.

I sympathize with the staff and understand they're caught between the devil and the deep blue sea (no pun intended!). Guess the bullies have discovered that their old intimidation tactics work as well on cruise ships as they did in the schoolyard.

FRANMA brings up a good point with respect to dining room personnel not wanting to play fashion police.

Several cruises ago an X maitre d' told us the staff is very hesitant, to the point of doing nothing, re denying inappropriately dressed guests entry into the dining room. Their hesitancy results from not wanting to get into verbal or physical encounters (which according to him, has occurred), as well as not wanting to receive negative comments or complaints from guests who will single them out for just trying to do their jobs.

I sympathize with the staff and understand they're caught between the devil and the deep blue sea (no pun intended!). Guess the bullies have discovered that their old intimidation tactics work as well on cruise ships as they did in the schoolyard.

All Celebrity needs to do to resolve this is to appoint a single person to do this job with the understanding that comments are likely to result. To assure that taking such comments with a grain of salt isn't abused, the chore needs to be rotated between two people on a cruise by cruise basis to assure that comments remain good during the "non-police" periods.

It would be the responsibility of all wait staff to bring any issues to the attention of whomever has been tasked with this job on a given cruise.

How much imagination do solutions of this sort require? I'm sure those of you out there can come up with half a dozen more.

We also asked the staff regarding passengers non-compliance to the dress codes and were told the same thing about basically risking their jobs by setting people straight. We made a formal complaint to headquarters after our cruise, raving about the crew and the wonderful job they did and how sad it is they can't do it fully because of people not following the rules. I understand not everyone can afford black tie but an effort to dress appropriately can be attempted. And maybe the staff can have a spare jacket and tie for those who show up without one- after all a high class restaurant would do the same or you don't get in!:D

Snickerdoodle, that sounds like an excellent idea!

That way no one can be turned down......just directed towards the "coat room" to put appropriate attire on.

I would never comment about others attire for it is not my business. It is dissappointing others do not adhere to the guidelines, since most everyone else does. I'm sure that there are a lot of other people who would also like to dress a little more casual, but like myself, will allows follow the cruiseline's guidelines for dress.

With snickerdoodle's idea, no one would feel offended, or dissappointed (other than maybe the individual who now has to choose between putting the jacket on or eat at the buffet).

Got any ideas for what to do about women's attire?

Yes, he certainly is..........

However, when you book a cruise and you see there is a designated *formal* night (or 2 or 3), it is generally expected by the cruise personnel, and *most* of the other passengers, that you will abide by the dress code set forth for that night. It's part of the *whole* cruising experience. A little something special....that many of us don't otherwise get a taste of in our everyday lives.

Would you show up at the Academy Awards in shorts and a T-shirt just because it's more comfortable? Would you go on a job interview in jeans and sandals? How about a wedding in a sweatsuit? Kahki's and a sport shirt are fine for most nights in the dining room. If you choose to deliberately set yourself apart from the rest of the passengers on formal nights by dressing in that, feel free........you're not only missing out on what is actually a very enjoyable part of the experience, but you're setting yourself up to be talked about, and yes, even refused entrance to the main dining room on such nights.

I think how you feel about the dress code sort of mirrors your attitudes about cruising in general.

You have been cruising for a number of years and now you see things changing all around you. Young people, kids, and things gitting more and more casual...and you hate it. You want things to be the way they always were.

Well things are not going back to the "good old days" at least for the mass market cruise lines. But there will always be a rich snob cruise line for the folks who want that sort of cruise.

Also some folks are from Podunk where a big night out is going to Black Angus. So renting a tux and dressing up for dinner is a highlight of the cruise for them.

And for others the whole dining room thing is a minor part of a cruise.

And before you start preaching to me about standards and stuff like that I was in the Navy for 22 years. I know all about standards and dress codes.

And I've been on more ships to more places then you have.

My wife and I dress up in the dining room...but we don't make a big deal about it. And if your wearing jeans your always welcome at our table.

QUOTE:

And before you start preaching to me about standards and stuff like that I was in the Navy for 22 years. I know all about standards and dress codes.

And I've been on more ships to more places then you have.UNQUOTE

In that case I cannot understand what is your problem. During those years you accepted what is done or what isnot done. Why not during those 1, 2, maybe 3 evenings of your cruise?

Instead of buying a tux, wear a nice dark suit. Men seem to like their ladies to dress up, but the other way around is often as difficult.

If it was a game, you would stick to the rules, so see the dress-code as "Part of the game".

Yes, we also travel and have travelled all over the world many times, have been to many rich and poor places, but always accepted their "rule of the game".

I will not be pleased if our tablemate wears jeans on formalnights.

QUOTE:

And I've been on more ships to more places then you have.UNQUOTE

In that case I cannot understand what is your problem. During those years you accepted what is done or what isnot done. Why not during those 1, 2, maybe 3 evenings of your cruise?

Instead of buying a tux, wear a nice dark suit. Men seem to like their ladies to dress up, but the other way around is often as difficult.

If it was a game, you would stick to the rules, so see the dress-code as "Part of the game".

Yes, we also travel and have travelled all over the world many times, have been to many rich and poor places, but always accepted their "rule of the game".

I will not be pleased if our tablemate wears jeans on formalnights.

It you read and quoted my entire post you would find that I do comply with the dress code.

I don't care what you wear to dinner, you can't ruin my vacation.

If your tablemates are wearing jeans just send them to my table, problem solved.

I just love looking at all the pretty clothes on formal night. It's like when you watch the Oscars or the Golden Globes. Half the fun is looking at what everyone is wearing. I don't see how some passengers feel the need to BUCK the SYSTEM and show up in something you would wear grocery shopping or to Wal Mart. I live in jeans and tennis shoes. I LOVE to get all dressed up! And all the men look so nice, in suits and tuxes. Especially my hubby. :)

It's so disappointing when you spend two hours getting ready and come all gussied up and the other people at your table are in jeans. :(

Maybe there should be two dining rooms. One level for those who want to dress and one for those who want a more casual experience! Problem solved!
This already exists -- it's what Celebrity calls their Casual Dining area. It provides a nice sit-down dinner, not a buffet, ordered from a menu, but in a much more casual atmosphere -- including dress. It is available nightly on all of their ships.

It was intended to help people with their personal conflicts (of whatever nature) regarding the main dining room dress code. Some people still don't think that's enough...

I would think you would have to make reservations based on your attire preferrence or when you book make your dining request so they can ensure they have enough tables for each.

Wonder how/if that would work? :confused:

Your regular table is open to you on any given night.

As to the Casual Dining option -- They do request that you advise you will be attending the casual dining by letting them know before 5:00pm if possible so as to have things set up and adequately staffed for the demands of the evening. However, people showing up because they are arriving back later than expected from shore excursions, etc., haven't been turned away for lack of a reservation.

I think how you feel about the dress code sort of mirrors your attitudes about cruising in general. You could not be more wrong in that regard. I look at cruising as an adventure, a chance to see places and do things I cannot do at home, to meet interesting people, both on the ship and in ports, to experience the cultures in the ports, to have fun.

You have been cruising for a number of years and now you see things changing all around you. Young people, kids, and things gitting more and more casual...and you hate it. You want things to be the way they always were. You could not be more wrong about that as well. I certainly don't hate things GETTING more casual, after all, casual is the dress of the DAY, but NOT the FORMAL night. Even young people and people with young children dress them appropriately on those designated nights.

Well things are not going back to the "good old days" at least for the mass market cruise lines. But there will always be a rich snob cruise line for the folks who want that sort of cruise. I'm neither rich nor a snob, and I think most people feel that formal night means just that.

Also some folks are from Podunk where a big night out is going to Black Angus. So renting a tux and dressing up for dinner is a highlight of the cruise for them. There are no Black Angus establishments in my area. I assume it's sort of like a Steak and Ale/O'Charleys. I'm sorry, I didn't realize you considered that to be fine dining. A *fine* dining experience for me would be eating at Commander's Palace, or Galatoires. My husband owns his tux, and dressing for dinner on the formal nights of our cruises is only ONE of the highlights for us.

And for others the whole dining room thing is a minor part of a cruise.

And before you start preaching to me about standards and stuff like that I was in the Navy for 22 years. I know all about standards and dress codes. And I've been on more ships to more places then you have. y wife and I dress up in the dining room...but we don't make a big deal about it. And if your wearing jeans your always welcome at our table.

There will always be people, both on land and at sea, who feel the need to be rebels or to make a point by disregarding the rules and requests in place for the group as a whole, just because they CAN. I imagine it's a control thing with them.

There will always be people, both on land and at sea, who feel the need to be rebels or to make a point by disregarding the rules and requests in place for the group as a whole, just because they CAN. I imagine it's a control thing with them.

I am anything but a rebel.

I dress for dinner and follow the rules. I strongly resent the fact that you would say I don't. How do you know how I dress on a cruise.

But unlike you I hve no problem with folks who choses to dress in something other then a tux and cocktail dress.

Sounds to me like it pretty much your way or the highway.

My last word on this subject.

I know about the casual dining room. It is not as nice as the BIG dining rooms so the casual folks go to the BIG pretty dining room. Other lines have you designate at the time of booking if you want traditional dining or "personal choice". Celebrity could ask you at the time of booking if you would like to dine casual or traditional and have deck 6 and 5 be separated by these designations. The only problem that would arise if there was not enough folks to fill one of them and the other was over full. I frankly see more people following the dress code than not.

.The only problem that would arise if there was not enough folks to fill one of them and the other was over full. I frankly see more people following the dress code than not.
Afraid you're right. I doubt they could find enough to fill one side of the "upper deck".

But remember, we're NOT just talking about the dining room here, although it does seem to be getting most of the attention. Do we put the "casuals" up in the mezzanine in the theater as well?

oh well, it is dark in the theatre ;)

I guess the old expression "you just can't make EVERYONE happy" applies to cruise ship dress rules.

Actually, it applies to any product or service in any venue. The smart companies give up trying to make everyone happy and instead continue to do whatever it is they do best, and make happy customers with that. Most of the rest of their customers eventually figure out that they're buying the wrong shampoo and move on. I keep wondering why cruise customers are so different in this respect.

Canderson, I like your shampoo ananlogy.

I hope that Celebrity continues to market itself as an upscale traditional cruise experience, because that is the cruise experience that I want. I actually would prefer a luxury cruise experience, but its a little too pricy for my budget, so the upscale thing suits me just fine. Thats the niche I'm in.

I can only hope that they don't decide to change my shampoo to make it more mass market, and that enough other people like my shampoo that it stays on the market.

I really don't think that a single cruise line could be all things to all people. Otherwise when Carnival bought Hal, about 15 or 16 years ago, they would have absorbed Hal into the Carnival name. But their marketing philosophy was to let Hal run as a seperate entity and continue to market to their core customers. Gradually there have been some changes at Hal, but I think they have pretty much tried to remain loyal to their core customers. Lets hope that RCI recognizes the same of Celebrity and keeps their core customes. So far, atleast in thier advertising, they have kept a marked difference in the commercials.

Bottom line is they market a traditional cruise experience which would not be what everyone wants, but I think they should keep the onboard experience true to what they market, so that they core customers are getting what they signed up for.

I guess I'm rambling, not sure if I am making any real sense here.

Archived