New to MSC

craftykitty

Looking at booking my first MSC cruise in the Mediterranean this coming October. Just a couple of questions if I may. Are there elegant/dress up nights? If so how many on a 7 night, port-intensive cruise? How dressy are these evenings? Flying from Canada, hoping to do a 20" carry-on.

Thanks.

2 elegant nights on a 7 day

MSC are pretty relaxed on dress code for elegant night you would be fine with just a nice dress and if with hubby he can where a nice suit with tie no need for a tuxedo

also there will be a white night

Edited by Epos Man

Less and less people are dressing up on 'Elegant' nights (as MSC now refers to them) so you can go as formal or as casual as you like - except for shorts, which aren't allowed in the MDRs at dinner times (this rule seems to be more relaxed in the Caribbean than in the Med).

Keep an eye out for reviews of your particular sailing in the meantime;  we only had one formal night on our Armonia cruise (there had always been 2 formal nights on all MSC 7 night cruises, as Epos Man has stated).  Someone else recently reported that there was only one formal night on their 7 night cruise - so it's not as consistent a policy as it used to be.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Less and less people are dressing up on 'Elegant' nights (as MSC now refers to them) so you can go as formal or as casual as you like - except for shorts, which aren't allowed in the MDRs at dinner times (this rule seems to be more relaxed in the Caribbean than in the Med).

Keep an eye out for reviews of your particular sailing in the meantime;  we only had one formal night on our Armonia cruise (there had always been 2 formal nights on all MSC 7 night cruises, as Epos Man has stated).  Someone else recently reported that there was only one formal night on their 7 night cruise - so it's not as consistent a policy as it used to be.

Exactly Bea!...

Last year during my Magnifica TA from Brazil, Food and Beverage Manger told me MSC was considering to remove the 2nd elegant night replacing it by the Italian or a "main port" for that particular sailing homage night with casual dress code. Seems that they are slowly rolling it on full fleet!

...So many things have changed on the cruise industry on the last few years, some for the better, some not so much... But this is one on where I need to applaud!... Let us just to see the current luggage limits on planes and the nearly finish of the professional photo business in favour of our own smart phone photos!... No way will I carry special clothes for 2 nights any more!... And even for the odd one remaining... I try to be sort of creative with the options!...

Have a nice day!... 🙂

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 2

I know a couple who dress up formally on every night and really enjoy it, the man takes a bow tie for every evening that is colour coordinated with his wife's outfit - now, thats planning!

My point being that dressing formally every night is the other extreme, I personally like the fact that those who don't like dressing up don't need too, a polo shirt and tidy jeans is not much to ask in my view.

Having won a knobbly knees contest at 15, I would not consider wearing shorts and inflict that on anyone at dinner 🙂.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 2:57 AM, Epos Man said:

2 elegant nights on a 7 day

MSC are pretty relaxed on dress code for elegant night you would be fine with just a nice dress and if with hubby he can where a nice suit with tie no need for a tuxedo

also there will be a white night

This made me laugh...MSC is no where relaxed compared to Carnival, NCL.  On Elegant night one could wear shorts on NCL and Carnival😒

On the Divina this past Dec there were people at entrance to MDR saying no shorts in MDR. That would be ignored  on other cruise lines.

On 5/18/2019 at 5:58 AM, ziggyuk said:

I know a couple who dress up formally on every night and really enjoy it, the man takes a bow tie for every evening that is colour coordinated with his wife's outfit - now, thats planning!

My point being that dressing formally every night is the other extreme, I personally like the fact that those who don't like dressing up don't need too, a polo shirt and tidy jeans is not much to ask in my view.

Having won a knobbly knees contest at 15, I would not consider wearing shorts and inflict that on anyone at dinner 🙂.

We dress for dinner.

DH wears a blazer no tie, and I a dress

On Formal nights he wears a dark suit and I wear a more dressy--LBD 

No spangles/sparkles etc... 

Just simple.

We cruised for 15 nights in the Baltics with 4 chic/formal nights. I managed with a LBD and a black skirt and knit tops. Pearls/ scarf etc. Easy peasy

AND did it flying with a small carry on (meets RyanAir dimensions) and a zipped tote. 

Back in the day DH and our boys wore tuxedos for formal night.

They all like to "suit up" for dinner

As adults--  every time our "boys" (23 and 26 ) have joined us cruising--they wear a suit for formal nights, and a collared shirt w/ blazer/slacks for reg nights.  Makes a mom proud!

17 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

This made me laugh...MSC is no where relaxed compared to Carnival, NCL.  On Elegant night one could wear shorts on NCL and Carnival😒

On the Divina this past Dec there were people at entrance to MDR saying no shorts in MDR. That would be ignored  on other cruise lines.

I saw plenty of people being turned away from MDR for wearing shorts on my last NCL cruise, maybe it depends on the maitre d', ours on the Jade was very strict, jeans and polo shirt were fine every night though as expected.