Excursions on a Canada New England cruise

CRZAHOLIC

We are taking our son on a cruise for his college graduation.  Most of the excursions look like they would be great for us but not too exciting for someone 21.  Are there any excursions with a little bit of a thrill factor?

What are your ports?

What are his interests?

Not going to be much in the way of "thrills" in a place like Boston other than Codzilla, but there is something for everyone here.

We really enjoyed the Tidal Bore in Newfoundland.  Lots of white water and wetsuits were needed

Hi CRZAHOLIC,

Yesterday I disembarked the beautiful Norwegian Dawn after a one week Canada New England cruise out of NYC. Me and my nephew (aged 24) took a shore excursion daily at each of the five ports. There were many older folks on the ship but please do not let that discourage you from cruising this itinerary. The last day in Newport Rhode Island I booked directly with a helicopter tour company and saved a boat load of money (hahahhah pun intended). I will write a more lengthy review of the entire cruise when I find the time and learn how on the CC message board but for now I’ll give you some direct info regarding something fun for the thrillseeker you mentioned:

For $75.00 each I booked me and my nephew on 12 minute Bird’seye View Helicopter tour of Newport which included seeing from an aerial view the mansions, bridge, fort, Breakers, Cliffwalk and other stuff but my favorite part was flying above our cruis ship. A nice family runs this business and I never really book excurions outside of the cruiseline but when the cruiseline wanted $199.00 each person I figured I’d give it a shot calling directly to Newort Helicopter Tours, especially since I wasn’t in a foreign country where I’d be worried about a language barrier, danger and trying to find my way about a strange city. 

The company can send their shuttlebus van to meet you at the pier for a reasonable fee, we split it with another couple from our ship who did the lengthier 30 minutes in the air Island Tour for $110.00 each and they said they enjoyed it, too. My nephew loved it and although i was a bit scared getting in, it was nothing to worry about and they even make you watch a preliminary safety video first before entering the airfield area. I took a 12 minute video so have no aerial pics to share however I will try to  attach pics of their company contact info but please feel free to contact me directly via email if ya want more info about the itinerary or my experience on the helicopter. My nephew and I liked all the other excursions including Peggy’s Cove, Titanic Cemetary, Reversing Rapids and outlet shopping in Freeport.  Also, don’t miss comedian Julie  Barr if sailing norwegian Dawn. 

3D38670D-084D-4710-990C-EFBCD97C9BCA.jpeg

9D94F07F-99F7-496E-97D3-EE592332D8B7.jpeg

C59A94C5-0900-4FAD-9FA0-FAAD12E6EF8B.jpeg

FFAB7BA3-A42F-4E67-A2FB-09782CFA115A.jpeg

FC77A83A-CAC1-40D2-B8E6-F335F5594914.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

What are your ports?

What are his interests?

Not going to be much in the way of "thrills" in a place like Boston other than Codzilla, but there is something for everyone here.

We really enjoyed the Tidal Bore in Newfoundland.  Lots of white water and wetsuits were needed

Tidal bore in Newfoundland?  I’m not aware of any there. You must mean New Brunswick or Nova Scotia as these occur on the Bay of Fundy where the tides are the highest in the world. 

If he is a baseball fan take a tour of Fenway Park.  

Also the Harpoon brewery is a short walk from Black Falcon Terminal.  You can take brewery tour.  

Take a Duck Boat tour. Trip takes you into the Charles River.

None of these fall into the 'thrill' category but they are fun.  

Edited by Traveling Library