Best Beach Day? Elbow Bay Resort?

Lanic24

Hi there,

As a person who lives at the beach, I am just looking for the best beach experience.

Has anyone been to Elbow Bay Resort? Is there anything to see if you go snorkeling?

I wanted to check out Elbow Beach so badly, but I didn't have time on my 1st trip to Bermuda 2 weeks ago. I'll go next time. I did manage to check out Church Bay (best snorkeling, lots of colorful and varied fish just a few meters from the beach), Tobacco Bay (has a bar with bathrooms, snorkeling wasn't as good as Church Bay on the day I went) and I went to Clearwater Beach (has a bar with bathrooms, but no snorkeling reef available).

All of the beaches in Bermuda were stunning. I drove by a lot of the other beaches too. No such thing as a bad beach over there. I was pleasantly surprised. All of the tourists head to Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay. At Church Bay and Clearwater Beach, there were maybe 5 other people on the beach, while I was the only one swimming! It was awesome. Tobacco Bay had a very  light crowd before noon, but they started showing up after noon when I was leaving. Horseshoe Bay is crowded all of the time, I'm sure you already know that.

The best beaches for hanging out on beautiful sand beaches and snorkeling are located along the south shore, that's where the reef is closest to the shore. The north shore is not as popular since the reef is located miles away from the shore.

Just my 2 cents!

Here are the notes I collected from Cruise Critic before I went to Bermuda, hope they help! I was also looking for great beaches with snorkeling. 

************************************************************************************************************************************

Bermuda beach snorkeling tips

Church Bay for less crowded to snorkel and Somerset Long Bay to snorkel and see turtles.

Elbow has a good reef. No turtles. In mid-August there were a total of maybe 10 people on the beach, more in front of the hotel-but still not crowded. less than 5 snorkeling the reef in a 3 hour time period. only porta potty. but you can buy a drink at the hotel beach bar and use their restroom. you can take the same bus that goes to horseshoe. it's a few more stops.

SNORKELLING FROM THE BEACH
Ask locals for guidance and they’ll be torn on which beach deserves top honours for snorkellers, but two places tend to stand out: Church Bay and Tobacco Bay. No matter which beach you choose, the water will be clear and warm (average 28 degrees Celsius in summer), the visibility excellent (up to 80 feet) and the marine life varied and colourful. Here are a few options:

Church Bay: Close to the The Reefs hotel, you’ll find high cliffs and a ribbon of spectacular reefs close to the shore. It's a gorgeous location with thriving marine life. Bring your own snorkel gear and exercise caution, as the South Shore can get a little choppy.

Tobacco Bay: If you’re staying at the East End of the island, this is your best bet. You'll find a sheltered bay with shallow water and lots of rocky coves to explore. Be ready to encounter a school of sky-blue parrotfish as you swim around huge rocks that jut out of the sea.

John Smith’s Bay: A small, pretty beach 15 minutes from Hamilton that is popular with locals. Bear right (as you look out to sea) for the best snorkelling; the fish tend to congregate by the rocks.

West Whale Bay: Close to the world-famous Port Royal Golf Course in Southampton, tiny West Whale Bay Beach is secluded and never crowded. The snorkelling is great but check out the tide times in advance; the beach vanishes at high tide.

Snorkel Park: This is a great, well-organized beach facility with chairs, umbrellas and snorkel gear for rent. It's located in Royal Naval Dockyard and is ideal for families.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chicken_Lips said:

Snorkel Park: This is a great, well-organized beach facility with chairs, umbrellas and snorkel gear for rent. It's located in Royal Naval Dockyard and is ideal for families.

Snorkel Park is a man made beach which in itself might not be bad but in my opinion it is far from being a great beach. Families with small children who want something to do close to the ship might find it sufficient.  It also is not a public beach. they charge admission. With all the beautifull natural beaches I see know reason to recommend Snorkel Park.

As far as the resorts on Elbow Beach I am not a fan day passes in Bermuda but for those want that experience Elbow Beach is very nice beach. There are two resorts that do day passes there thru Resorts for a Day. Elbow Beach and Coco Reef.  Not as nice as Horseshoe Beach or Warrwick Long Bay in my opinon but Elbow is a good beach.  

On 5/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Lanic24 said:

Hi there,

As a person who lives at the beach, I am just looking for the best beach experience.

Has anyone been to Elbow Bay Resort? Is there anything to see if you go snorkeling?

I am a beach person and I don't consider Elbow Beach to be the best experience. It is a very nice beach but not as stunning as some of the other South Shore beaches. I prefer Horseshoe and Warwick Long Bay. Elbow does have snorkeling that is okay but if  for snorkeling off the beach Church Bay which the previous poster mentioned is a lot better if the water is not to rough. If you want chair rentals, facilities,  and the like then Horseshoe Bay or a day pass at Elbow Beach resort or Coco Reef is your best bet. Horseshoe will be the most crowded but usually the crowds are close to the facillities. If you walk to the other end there are a lot less people. Tobacco Bay in St. George's also has facilities and snorkeling. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

If you want chair rentals, facilities,  and the like then Horseshoe Bay or a day pass at Elbow Beach resort or Coco Reef is your best bet. Horseshoe will be the most crowded but usually the crowds are close to the facillities.

Is it usually possible to purchase a day pass directly from the resort if you show up there? (This would be for mid June.) Or must you book in advance through Resort for a Day? Also, any view re which resort is better -- Elbow or Coco Reef?

Keep in mind-- the resorts, Coco Reef (we've done several times but the price has gone up substantially) and Elbow require paying for a taxi to get there in the range of $50 each way.   Which is part of the reason we stopped going to Coco Reef.    Bus is much less $ but takes much longer.   And I've seen some of the public bus lines--they can get long to get on one. 

We were in Bermuda 1 day last weekend and did the $7 shuttle to Horseshoe.  

I echo the point about how taxi cost can quickly add up, when considered along with the resort pass itself. I wonder if a clever approach might be to take the $7 shuttle to Horseshoe and then get a taxi from there to Elbow or Coco Reef? Same for the return trip.

8 hours ago, Secretlyfi said:

I echo the point about how taxi cost can quickly add up, when considered along with the resort pass itself. I wonder if a clever approach might be to take the $7 shuttle to Horseshoe and then get a taxi from there to Elbow or Coco Reef? Same for the return trip.

Would be interesting to try this idea since most of the time taxis are readily available at Horseshoe.  A call is usually needed to get one to come get you at Coco or Elbow.   If someone tries, this please let us know how it works out.   

2 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Would be interesting to try this idea since most of the time taxis are readily available at Horseshoe.  A call is usually needed to get one to come get you at Coco or Elbow.   If someone tries, this please let us know how it works out.   

I think that would be some effort to save about $4 a trip. You have already spent extra money for a beach why penny pinch on the transportation. Also I hope people know they won’t be getting refunds if it is a rainy day. 

Edited by Charles4515

Just a note that on busy days when there are multiple cruise ships in town it can be very hard to get a cab back from Elbow Beach.  We waited about an hour and it was hot and chaotic with many people waiting, not in any kind of line, and there was no assistance from the restaurant or hotel. I think I paid about $70 each way.  Elbow sold passes to walk ups the first day, but not the second. Also, day pass people don’t sit with hotel guests - they are put in a separate area. 

Edited by JFontaine

From the Dockyard, we took the water taxi to Hamilton and then a taxi to CoCo Reef.  We had already purchased a three day transportation pass and then the taxi ride was $22 there.  Reversed it coming back...it worked for us.  CoCo Reef front desk calls for the taxi when you’re ready to go.

12 hours ago, Sun Freckles said:

From the Dockyard, we took the water taxi to Hamilton and then a taxi to CoCo Reef.  We had already purchased a three day transportation pass and then the taxi ride was $22 there.  Reversed it coming back...it worked for us.  CoCo Reef front desk calls for the taxi when you’re ready to go.

There are no water taxis, I assume you mean you took the public ferry. You bought transportation passes and took taxis. What you did does not make sense. 

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

There are no water taxis, I assume you mean you took the public ferry. You bought transportation passes and took taxis. What you did does not make sense. 

Thank you for your opinion that I did not ask for.....as I said, it worked for us.   And please forgive my “faux pas” on referring to  a ferry as a “water taxi”...

34 minutes ago, Sun Freckles said:

Thank you for your opinion that I did not ask for.....as I said, it worked for us.   And please forgive my “faux pas” on referring to  a ferry as a “water taxi”...

Well you posted it. I gave my opinion because I don't want anyone reading your post to think doing that makes sense. If you post to Cruise Critic you are going to get opinions whether you want to or not. Spending more than you need too might work for you but most people probably don't want too.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 7:46 AM, flipflops55 said:

Great info thanks. Best way to get to Church bay? Leaving in 2 days.

Getting there won't be difficult, taxi, public bus has a stop, the minibus drivers to Horseshoe Bay will drop you off. Returning is going to be less options. The public bus or a taxi if one happens by.