Oasis Mediterranean Dress Code

Maybe helpful for anyone packing for Oasis this summer. We are currently in the Med on her.

Main Dining room have been strict with dress code on Formal night. Men were being turned away in long trousers with smart polo shirts. Jackets not necessary but a long or short sleeved shirt is the minimum.

The majority of people were dressed up. I saw lots of dinner suits and sparkly dresses - long and not so long.

So far we have also had a 'white' night and a 'tropical' night. 

As always anything goes in the Windjammer.

• Like 1

Just adding that we normally head for the Windjammer for the majority of our evening meals. But this cruise food in the Main Dining Room has been impressive and the Windjammer food 

has been very disappointing.

3 hours ago, livylotte said:

Maybe helpful for anyone packing for Oasis this summer. We are currently in the Med on her.

Main Dining room have been strict with dress code on Formal night. Men were being turned away in long trousers with smart polo shirts. Jackets not necessary but a long or short sleeved shirt is the minimum.

The majority of people were dressed up. I saw lots of dinner suits and sparkly dresses - long and not so long.

Thank you for sharing! First tie Med and Oasis cruise coming up August 8th. Any other helpful tips or insights???

We were on first cruise back. I wore Dockers and short sleeve collared shirt, DW wore capris and blouse. Even on both formal nights no one in American Icon seemed to care what others were wearing. I don't remember any men in shorts though.

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

No nice shorts allowed?

My DH stood at the entrance for early seating for a quite a while checking out what everyone else was wearing. He wasn't sure what to wear himself and thought he'd go and do a bit of people watching.  He spotted a man wearing shorts leaving the DR and asked him. Others followed. Our head waiter later confirmed it. 

48 minutes ago, porthole21 said:

Thank you for sharing! First tie Med and Oasis cruise coming up August 8th. Any other helpful tips or insights???

Stay away from the Windjammer at peak dining times. For breakfast that will depend on what time ship is docked and cleared. Go early if you can. You can eat breakfast in other locations around the ship - we go to the main dining room but even that gets busy. 

Funny....we were in the British Isles on Brilliance this time last year and saw men in shorts every night in the MDR. It didn’t  bother me, I just noticed. 

We cruised the Med a couple of years ago on Brilliance and I don’t remember seeing anyone being turned away from dinner. Maybe this is just an Oasis thing?

12 minutes ago, biffco said:

Thanks much for the heads up!  Are the formal nights on Day 2 and Day 6 or are they different for Med cruises?

So far it's been

Day 1 Barcelona - Casual

Day 2 Palma - Formal

Day 3 Marseille - White Attire

Day 4 La Spezia - Tropical Colours

Day 5 Rome - Casual

Day 6 Naples - Formal

Day 7 Sea Day - not there yet! Probably Casual.

15 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Funny....we were in the British Isles on Brilliance this time last year and saw men in shorts every night in the MDR. It didn’t  bother me, I just noticed. 

We cruised the Med a couple of years ago on Brilliance and I don’t remember seeing anyone being turned away from dinner. Maybe this is just an Oasis thing?

Same. Last Med for us was Brilliance and I saw shorts then too.  Definitely more formal this time.

I am wondering if it is just this particular sailing?  Im only guessing but maybe there are some VIPs on board?  There was a big fanfare announcing the World Premier of Aquanation on Tuesday. (It was breathtaking by the way).  The Captain was there and it was being filmed.  

35 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I have seen shorts in MDR on other nights but definitely not allowed on Formal night. Men wearing them were being turned away. As were men wearing Polo shirts. 

Is this just something that’s true on Oasis?  It’s been a few years ago, but when I sailed Allure (Oasis’ sister), I wore pants an an Izod pull over shirt in the Dining Rooms on formal nights.  And, I wore shorts on other nights, no problems.  Matter of fact, most were dressed like me.

I wonder if this is some sort of change to be turned away?  

I was on the recent May 19 Oasis sailing and I wore jeans and an untucked polo to the American Icon (main dining) on the first formal night, my son wore something similar, and my wife and daughter were not dressed "formally" and we had no issues. We went to Sabor on the other formal night so I can't speak to the latter formal night.

17 hours ago, livylotte said:

My wife and I are in Oasis right now, just getting ready to dock in Naples. This was not our experience in the Day 2 formal night at American Icon. I wrote jeans and an untucked button down shirt and had no problems.

Dress code expectations and enforcement seem to vary greatly by region.

From our experience it is a mistake to assume that what is acceptable for a US departing cruise will be the same for a European or Middle Eastern cruise.

We were shocked in particular how formal the expectation was on our Dubai cruise. Not a chance you would have got anywhere near the MDR in shorts on that cruise. 

Im not passing any judgement on this topic as I’m easy either way but very often the advice is given that “you can wear what you want in the MDR” and that “shorts are fine as the staff don’t care etc”.

This is predominantly a US forum and I can understand this being stated (and from our last cruise from Port Canaveral I’d say it’s correct) but it really is very different on Royal worldwide in our experience.

• Like 1

As stated earlier, the second formal night was last night.  Once again I wore jeans and a button down collared shirt work no issue. There was a guy at the table next to us wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

• Like 1