LAX San Pedro options

alexmom

We are flying into LAX for a Princess cruise out of the Port of LA in October.  We always come in a day early and stay a day later, so we'll need to get from LAX to the BWPlus in San Pedro.  What are our options for airport to hotel ?  We've always cruised out of Florida, plus San Pedro is too far from the airport for a hotel shuttle.  I wouldn't know which shuttle service to call in California.  We're flying in on Friday and out on a Sunday.  I have no idea what kind of traffic we would be dealing with either, especially a Friday late morning.  I would love any information or tips you can give me !

warm regards,

kristine

Late morning is a good time for low traffic traveling south from LAX.

I would just get a taxi or use the app on your phone to call an uber or lyft car!

They are very very common here in California.

Some people also use a car service such as Execucar which you can order in advance.

Thanks, I have the lyft app on my phone.  I have used both lyft and uber in Florida.  I have also used shuttles several times.  I've never used a taxi because of the prohibitive expense and because they drive soooo sloooowwww.  At least they do here in Minnesota.  Execucar is also an expensive alternative I won't be using.  I don't need the rock bottom cheapest ride but I don't want to bleed money out of my eyeballs.  I can vaguely remember having issues with uber picking me up at POM, or maybe it was at the airport in FLL.  One of those cities makes pick ups difficult for any company that isn't a taxicab.  Apparently LA doesn't do that ???

8 hours ago, alexmom said:

Thanks, I have the lyft app on my phone.  I have used both lyft and uber in Florida.  I have also used shuttles several times.  I've never used a taxi because of the prohibitive expense and because they drive soooo sloooowwww.  At least they do here in Minnesota.  Execucar is also an expensive alternative I won't be using.  I don't need the rock bottom cheapest ride but I don't want to bleed money out of my eyeballs.  I can vaguely remember having issues with uber picking me up at POM, or maybe it was at the airport in FLL.  One of those cities makes pick ups difficult for any company that isn't a taxicab.  Apparently LA doesn't do that ???

FWIW, we took a taxi from LAX down to Torrance the day before our last cruise a just few weeks ago. I looked at the taxi's speedometer as the driver hit 88 miles an hour down the 405 after leaving  the airport. But yes, a taxi ride down to San Pedro is expensive.

We did this in January.  Took Super Shuttle to Doubletree, but our van did stop at BW on the way to drop others off.   We did not have SS reservations, but simply located the SS kiosk outside of baggage claim and signed up with the attendant - had a 15-20 minute wait for the shuttle to appear.  Cost was about $15 pp as I recall.  Nice driver and van - would use them again.

I really liked the Doubletree - very nice area and the staff was great!  Also, free shuttle to the pier the next morning (plus they will take you to some other nearby locations for dinner I was told, but the dining at the hotel was very good and reasonably priced).  The BW location seemed to be in an older area of town and further from the pier I think. 

• Thanks 1

My preference would be an Uber (or Lyft)--less expensive than even a shuttle (There are several shuttle services--the largest are Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle...but there are others as well.  A shuttle would run around $17 pp plus tip).  Taxis are scary-those meters just keep running and nothing you can do...

At LAX, it is not hard to get an Uber...You do need to exit your gate or baggage claim area and head to the upper level...There are signs in front of most of the terminals for Rideshare pick-ups...and you have to log into your app from one of those points.  If you have trouble finding the appropriate pick-up spot nearest you, just ask any airport personnel and they will direct you, but, no, not difficult at all...

As to the comments on the BWP (I assume you already have made reservations and have chosen it for a reason), it is not a terrible hotel--from all accounts--it's just that the location is not in one of the nicer parts of San Pedro.  There aren't a lot of places to eat nearby (other than fast food) and it's on a very heavily trafficked street...and, you probably don't want to venture out on foot at night (though it's not necessarily particularly unsafe).  The Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown Pedro--about three short blocks from the cruise terminal and near a large number of restaurants...The Doubletree is in a more scenic location--on the yacht harbor...but a little bit distant to most restaurants and the pier (but the hotel will shuttle you to both).  So those are usually my top two hotel recommendations in Pedro... But, I understand it, many people choose the BW due to price concerns...