HAL Alaska Land & Sea Journey

BlackJack2

We are thinking about booking a HAL Alaska Land and Sea Journey.  I did a search on Cruise Critic, but nothing came up.  Is there an old thread that gives advice or tips on these tours?  Or, does anyone have any comments or information about a HAL cruise and land trip?  We were looking at the Yukon & Triple Denali on the Nieuw Amsterdam this summer.  

2 hours ago, BlackJack2 said:

We are thinking about booking a HAL Alaska Land and Sea Journey.  I did a search on Cruise Critic, but nothing came up.  Is there an old thread that gives advice or tips on these tours?  Or, does anyone have any comments or information about a HAL cruise and land trip?  We were looking at the Yukon & Triple Denali on the Nieuw Amsterdam this summer.  

I see that you are a fellow San Antonian, we are doing a double Denali on the Noordam in July. I admit  the HAL website has very little information on the land tours for their cruises and it is very frustrating.

Here is a link to the e brochure from the HAL website that has a lot of information on all the 2019 Alaska cruises and land tours I hope it helps. We used this brochure last fall when we were doing our research.

http://digital.cenveomobile.com/publication/?i=512806#{"issue_id":512806,"page":0}

Edited by terrydtx

We did the triple Denali a few years ago...loved it...do the land portion first. It is pretty busy. Then you can relax on the cruise. Do not get the food package. It is expensive and way too much food from what the ones on our tour said. We spent less than half what they did. Never had a problem finding a place to eat. There are some early mornings and there were some who didn’t like that. We are early risers so it worked for us. Have a great time!

• Like 2

I agree with Wyobean - Do the Land portion first - it is jam-packed and wonderful.  Then you can relax on the cruise.  Also - skip the food package - way too expensive.  We did double Denali last summer and would do it again (maybe triple next time) in a heartbeat - or when we win the lottery.  It is the first cruise we did that no sooner were we on the plane home my husband said - "we have to go back".  

On 6/4/2019 at 4:17 PM, BlackJack2 said:

We came back from a Yukon Double Denali last night (May 27 - June 8) on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was fantastic. We did the land portion first. Getting on the boat in Skagway also meant we got the day in Glacier Bay which the northbound folks do not.  Happy to answer any questions you have, but a heads up that I will be posting a detailed trip report in the next couple of days as we were looking for that information in advance too.

13 hours ago, Pair of Hikers said:

We came back from a Yukon Double Denali last night (May 27 - June 😎 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was fantastic. We did the land portion first. Getting on the boat in Skagway also meant we got the day in Glacier Bay which the northbound folks do not.  Happy to answer any questions you have, but a heads up that I will be posting a detailed trip report in the next couple of days as we were looking for that information in advance too.

Looking forward to your cruise report - can't wait to read it.  

On 6/4/2019 at 4:17 PM, BlackJack2 said:

Wanted to let you know I just posted my report. Happy to answer any questions that I didn't cover. If I did this correctly it is posted both in Holland America and under Alaska 2019 trip reports.

34 minutes ago, Pair of Hikers said:

Wanted to let you know I just posted my report. Happy to answer any questions that I didn't cover. If I did this correctly it is posted both in Holland America and under Alaska 2019 trip reports.

Just finished reading your report - it was fantastic!  Thanks so much for sharing; we cannot wait to go.  

On 6/4/2019 at 1:17 PM, BlackJack2 said:

We had the same problems with lack of info on HAL Land-Sea cruises on this CC board.  So, after we did a 14 day land-sea cruise we posted a detailed review with photos.  Here is the link from 2016.

There are at least 26 or more Land-Sea cruises.  I think what the tour you are looking at maybe like the one we took.  Based on your comments doing 3 days in Denali which is GOOD.    

Take a look at the review and if you have questions post them here as I will keep looking at this thread.

Rick

Edited by rajkr74