Cruising from Newark, NJ to Quebec, Canada Sept 6, 2019

We will spend a couple of nights in a hotel close to the airport before the cruise so we can visit the 9/11 Memorial.  any suggestions the best we to get from Newark to the memorial?  Also, suggestions how to get to the cruise port from our hotel?  We are Diamond on RCCL and are cruising on the Adventure of the Seas.  I didn't post my questions on the RCCL forum because the questions are not RCCL specific.  Thanks.  

Ask on the East Coast Departures forum, under North American Homeports.  I would probably take the train in to NYP (Penn Station) and the subway to the memorial.  But I used to live in NYC.  EM

• Like 2

The cruise port is in Bayonne, a $50 taxi from the airport (uber cheaper). You can see mite than just the 9/11 Memorial in 2 days. Check out hotels on the river in jersey city if you want to spend some time in Manhattan but not stay there, some ar3 walking distance from the PATH.

• Like 1

Let’s take this step by step to come up with a plan.

Have you selected a hotel?  What is your hotel budget?  Exact dates? Three nights Sept 3-6?  The problem with the airport hotels for NYC sightseeing is that it takes 1+ hours to get from your hotel on the shuttle to the Airtrain to get to the Newark Airport train station to then spend $13/pp each way on the train to New York Penn Station (midtown) or $11.25/pp each way to World Trade (911 Memorial downtown) via NJ Transit train and PATH.  NJ Transit train fare from Newark Penn Station is $5.25/pp.  

So you have to balance time, money, and stress to figure out where you stay.  In Jersey City Candlewood Suites is showing at about $168 plus tax.  You can walk to the Exchange Place PATH Station for the one stop ride to the 911 Memorial.  You can walk to the Newport Station to go 5 stops to midtown at 33rd & 6th.  https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

The accessible light rail stops at this hotel and could be taken to Bayonne 34th St the morning of the cruise for $2.25/pp plus a $10-15 Uber/Lyft charge to get into the port.

You would have to take Uber/Lyft from the airport to Jersey City for a guesstimate of $40-50, but you will save yourselves a ton of aggravation sightseeing in NYC.

More details can be provided.

I suggest you look at Google maps before you book anything.  If you want to spend two days sightseeing in NYC, you may be better off staying in NYC and using Uber to get to the port.  For September 4-6, I see quite a few hotels charging close to $200 per night.  The Candlewood Suites in Jersey City will save you around $40-$50 per night, but you will spend a fair amount of time getting back and forth and won't be able to just stop and refresh yourself in your hotel if, for example, you want to see lower Manhattan, rest before dinner, wash up again and go out in the evening.  As a resident of Manhattan, I have a strong bias, but if

image.png.67985ecfada4744a6960be913a536fde.pngake t

you want to get the most out of your trip to NYC, spending an extra $100 over 2 nights might be worthwhile.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 3:55 AM, Essiesmom said:

Ask on the East Coast Departures forum, under North American Homeports.  I would probably take the train in to NYP (Penn Station) and the subway to the memorial.  But I used to live in NYC.  EM

I posted in the East Coast Departures forum per your suggestion.  Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Flying Scott said:

I posted in the East Coast Departures forum per your suggestion.  Thank you. 

1 hour ago, papadave said:

I suggest you look at Google maps before you book anything.  If you want to spend two days sightseeing in NYC, you may be better off staying in NYC and using Uber to get to the port.  For September 4-6, I see quite a few hotels charging close to $200 per night.  The Candlewood Suites in Jersey City will save you around $40-$50 per night, but you will spend a fair amount of time getting back and forth and won't be able to just stop and refresh yourself in your hotel if, for example, you want to see lower Manhattan, rest before dinner, wash up again and go out in the evening.  As a resident of Manhattan, I have a strong bias, but if

image.png.67985ecfada4744a6960be913a536fde.pngake t

you want to get the most out of your trip to NYC, spending an extra $100 over 2 nights might be worthwhile.

Great suggestion. We were looking at a Fairfield for $150 by the airport.  It will be evening when we arrive so I'm a bit uncomfortable trying to navigate to the city.  What are you thoughts on that?  

I'm still thinking that if you want to spend any time in NYC, you may want to stay in a hotel (or Airbnb or something else of that nature) actually in the city    You can take a taxi, or an Uber, into the city from the airport, so the time of arrival should not be very important.  

Are you looking to see more than the 9/11 memorial?  If you only want to see one thing, then return to New Jersey, you may want to stay in a hotel in New Jersey.  If you are spending time in NYC, you may find it more comfortable, relaxing even, to stay in NYC.

If you are staying near the airport, you will spend a lot of time getting to and from the city.  Generally, I do not recommend staying near the airport.

9 hours ago, papadave said:

I'm still thinking that if you want to spend any time in NYC, you may want to stay in a hotel (or Airbnb or something else of that nature) actually in the city    You can take a taxi, or an Uber, into the city from the airport, so the time of arrival should not be very important.  

Are you looking to see more than the 9/11 memorial?  If you only want to see one thing, then return to New Jersey, you may want to stay in a hotel in New Jersey.  If you are spending time in NYC, you may find it more comfortable, relaxing even, to stay in NYC.

If you are staying near the airport, you will spend a lot of time getting to and from the city.  Generally, I do not recommend staying near the airport.

I agree, I wouldn’t stay by the airport, either NYC or Jersey City, or the Hilton in Newark at Penn Station.