Gulf of Oman tankers hit in suspected attack

hallasm

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

Will this attack have an impact on cruise ships passing Gulf og Oman and the Strait of Hormuz on their way to Dubai - quite popular from October through April - I’m booked at a cruise passing in December.

Link To news on CNN

A lot will depend on what they discover to be the weapon involved.  A supertanker is a whole lot slower than a cruise ship.  Kind of like what they used to call the old landing ships LST (landing ship, tank) (or Large Slow Target).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

A lot will depend on what they discover to be the weapon involved.  A supertanker is a whole lot slower than a cruise ship.  Kind of like what they used to call the old landing ships LST (landing ship, tank) (or Large Slow Target).

I served for 3 and a half years on one of those, Newport class. Top speed of 20 knots. 

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

Will this attack have an impact on cruise ships passing Gulf og Oman and the Strait of Hormuz on their way to Dubai - quite popular from October through April - I’m booked at a cruise passing in December.

Link To news on CNN

You're cruiseline will make that decision based on factor's they receive. A change of itinerary especially when a safety issue is a possibility isn't uncommon at all. You will be notified...no need to worry at this point or even if they change the itinerary.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I served for 3 and a half years on one of those, Newport class. Top speed of 20 knots. 

Big, big difference Sparks, from the WWII LST's, which could do a whopping 12 knots on their best days.  The Newports were considered the "ultimate" version of the LST.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Big, big difference Sparks, from the WWII LST's, which could do a whopping 12 knots on their best days.  The Newports were considered the "ultimate" version of the LST.

Yep, but we were still way slower than anyone else in the Task Force.🙂