ALASKA CRUISE

HAPPINESS IS

We are going on an Alaskan cruise, departing Vancouver on 23 September 2019. I believe that there is a remote possibility of getting to see the Aurora Borealis while on the cruise.

Has anyone been privileged enough to have this wonderful experience while on a cruise and if so, what time, more or less did it take place?

Also, do you have any idea of the location of the ship when you witnessed it?  (Ketchikan, Juneau etc)?

This is on our bucket list and we are even prepared to stay up throughout the night, in the hope of being able to witness this spectacular phenomenon:classic_biggrin:

Any input will be appreciated. Thank you!

If you google, there's a tracker that will give you the forecast for it and show the likely areas you'll be able to see it. I would think you have a better shot at the ports further up north - so likely when you're headed up to Seward and not while you're in the SE tail. When I went in May the only stop that had a forecast of it was Juneau -- unfortunately it rained all day and we could see nothing with all the cloud cover. 

9 hours ago, HAPPINESS IS said:

We are going on an Alaskan cruise, departing Vancouver on 23 September 2019. I believe that there is a remote possibility of getting to see the Aurora Borealis while on the cruise.

Has anyone been privileged enough to have this wonderful experience while on a cruise and if so, what time, more or less did it take place?

Also, do you have any idea of the location of the ship when you witnessed it?  (Ketchikan, Juneau etc)?

This is on our bucket list and we are even prepared to stay up throughout the night, in the hope of being able to witness this spectacular phenomenon:classic_biggrin:

Usually visible after midnight.  Check your Freestyle Daily there will probably be information about viewing. or ask your Cruise Director.

I have a staff friend on Bliss, he took lots of pictures last Fall and posted them.  Check on You Tube, you might find some pictures (Probably not his however).

12 hours ago, HAPPINESS IS said:

Typically around midnight, but generally NCL cruises stay too far south to see the lights.

BTW you can probably find an app that will give you the information you are seeking.

12 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Usually visible after midnight.  Check your Freestyle Daily there will probably be information about viewing. or ask your Cruise Director.

I have a staff friend on Bliss, he took lots of pictures last Fall and posted them.  Check on You Tube, you might find some pictures (Probably not his however).

Thank you so much for the input, highly appreciated:classic_biggrin:

8 hours ago, zqvol said:

Typically around midnight, but generally NCL cruises stay too far south to see the lights.

BTW you can probably find an app that will give you the information you are seeking.

Thank you so much for the input, highly appreciated:classic_biggrin:

17 hours ago, GrabMyWrist said:

I've seen them via land in Michigan, never on a cruise. That said, I wish you luck as they are magnificent to witness.

👌 Thank you!

Edited by HAPPINESS IS
Incorrect Spelling

For seeing the Aurora Borealis on board a ship - you will want to be well away from land (lighting).

Perhaps on the highest deck - near the Bridge where lighting is kept to a minimum.

On some sailings the Bridge will turn off the lighting on riggings to make the viewing better.

Make inquiries at Guest Services for more information.

Alaska being the Land of the Midnight Sun presents a problem for viewing any northern lights

during the summer prime cruising months.

The window for viewing may be limited to between midnight to two am.

And then hope that there are no clouds lingering on the horizon obscuring the view.

That noted - the Aurora Borealis is spectacular - hope you have the opportunity to see it in all its glory !