Category question on Ovation.

We booked a GTY on Ovation for Aug, going to Alaska.  We haven't received

a room number. Edocs say deck 6, and the category  XB. I went on RCC website and couldn't find XB.

Any ideas what XB stands for?

You paid for a OV balcony.....they don't differentiate between obstructed and not.  If it's a balcony cabin facing the ocean, you get what you paid for.  There is still time for a change....and ANY balcony is better than none, IMO!  GTY bookings are cheaper for a reason.  Sometimes you get lucky...sometimes you don't, but you do get what you paid for!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kelbell said:

But we didn't pay for an obstructed view GTY, do they do that a lot?

First and probably now last GTY we book, if that happens.🤬

The front 20 balcony cabins or so (from approximately the forward elevators onward) are not obstructed on the deck plans, and are beyond the lifeboats. That's where you'll be placed.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/ovation-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1900/06

Boxed in red below

IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.6bc5095ef052d68f1f679f7bfd1a522c.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

How do you know they won’t be assigned an obstructed one?

Well this is a good one... I just went back to my booking engine to check some of the sailings I've been following, specifically New Zealand Oct-Dec. I was sure there were 2 separate categories of gty's on some of the sailings.... now there are not.

And I'm also pretty sure there were two different gty's on my May sailing so I can't confirm anything :((

Having said that, in most cases the XB costs more than either of the two obstructed 2E and 1E options... I hope that means something.

16 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

And I'm also pretty sure there were two different gty's on my May sailing so I can't confirm anything :((

I didn’t think Quantum class had more than one X GTY category- that’s an Oasis class thing. 

I booked a balcony guarantee on the Anthem, and took that cruise this month.

I had literally the worst balcony cabin on the ship.  I was fine with it, but probably ANYONE ELSE in that cabin would have been tied in knots and down at Guest Services every day!

Obstructed cabins on this ship are classed by RC as either 50% obstructed or 75% obstructed.  I would say that my view was more like 85% obstructed.  And the NOISE!

As I said, it didn't bother me.  I'm a frequent floater.  I go with the flow.  The cabin itself was fine - all the balcony cabins are exactly alike.  Everything worked.  Good water pressure in the shower.  Toilet always flushed.  Amenities delivered on (their) schedule.  Good cabin attendant.  

But definitely the worst balcony cabin on the ship.  😄  

13 minutes ago, Croozin Soozin said:

Does your setsail pass have muster location?  Maybe we can figure out location using that. 

I don't think that his cabin has been assigned yet.  I didn't get mine until two and a half days before embarkation.

3 minutes ago, Croozin Soozin said:

What made that cabin bad?

You mean besides the 85% obstructed view?  😉

It is the last cabin aft.  It shares a wall with Two70.  Two70 is the venue for many entertainments.  They are loud.  Some go quite late.  That's the skeletal description.  😊

Oh, and there is a "secret door" from the upper level of Two70 into the Deck 6 cabin corridor.  It's a fire door.  It is VERY heavy.  The upper level also houses the "internet café" and the "library".  It is a very popular place for teens to  hang out late at night.  They use that door.  It slams.

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

I don't think that his cabin has been assigned yet.  I didn't get mine until two and a half days before embarkation.

I have a suite gty for September. My cabin and deck haven’t been assigned but my muster station is on my setsail pass, and  suite is sea. With that information I know exactly where my cabin is, even though I don’t know the deck. I figured it out by looking at past seapass cards!

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

You mean besides the 85% obstructed view?  😉

It is the last cabin aft.  It shares a wall with Two70.  Two70 is the venue for many entertainments.  They are loud.  Some go quite late.  That's the skeletal description.  😊

Oh, and there is a "secret door" from the upper level of Two70 into the Deck 6 cabin corridor.  It's a fire door.  It is VERY heavy.  The upper level also houses the "internet café" and the "library".  It is a very popular place for teens to  hang out late at night.  They use that door.  It slams.

Gotcha!  Been on Anthem many times so know exactly the location you’re describing?

2 minutes ago, Croozin Soozin said:

I have a suite gty for September. My cabin and deck haven’t been assigned but my muster station is on my setsail pass, and  suite is sea. With that information I know exactly where my cabin is, even though I don’t know the deck. I figured it out by looking at past seapass cards!

On the Anthem?  Are you going to New England and Canada?  I'm doing that on Adventure in the same month.  🙂

4 minutes ago, Croozin Soozin said:

Gotcha!  Been on Anthem many times so know exactly the location you’re describing?

I'm a make-lemonade-when-life-gives-you-lemons sort of person.  I liked being able to "sneak" between Decks 5 & 6 through that door, instead of having to go all the way to the middle of the ship to the elevators.  The ridiculous thing is that during the Muster Drill, we were SO crowded in Two70, and they would not allow us on the upper level.  Made no sense.  Audio is over the PA system, so loud enough to be heard on both levels, and the video is on the big screens, also visible on both levels.  Heck, they wouldn't even let me sit on the steps.