NCL Pearl Cancelled 07/05/19

shadow1972

I just received a robocall, and have confirmed this with my NCL cruise consultant that the 13 day Greek Isles & Italy from Rome has been cancelled due to unforeseen mechanical problems.  Way to give us a few days notice NCL.

Edited by shadow1972

6 minutes ago, kodesthemoose said:

OMG - friends just flew out to Rome this am 😞

Sorry to hear that.  We're scheduled to fly out on Thursday.  Trying to figure out what to do with the flight now.

9 minutes ago, msidescooter said:

Better to give you notice now than wait until the 4th when most flying in would be en-route or already there.

Agreed.  what I don't get is how big is this problem that you can't get it fixed in 3 days.

• Haha 1

According to Marine Traffic Pearl is now in Barcelona - she has been there since last night and according to the Port of Barcelona's schedule for this week, Pearl is remaining docked for the next few days.

The current cruise is a 13 day one from June 22 - July 5, and it looks like it's now terminated early, in Barcelona, not Rome.

Looks like Pearl has developed a major problem.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, shadow1972 said:

I just received a robocall, and have confirmed this with my NCL cruise consultant that the 13 day Greek Isles & Italy from Rome has been cancelled due to unforeseen mechanical problems.  Way to give us a few days notice NCL.

For your convenience......of course.

40 minutes ago, shadow1972 said:

How would one know about unforeseen problems? 

Sucks for sure, I hope your insurance steps up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, shadow1972 said:

Agreed.  what I don't get is how big is this problem that you can't get it fixed in 3 days.

I bet they are no more happy about it than anyone else, maybe even less happy.    I'm sure it's going to cost a bundle trying to sort this mess out, try to have kinda happy customers, and somehow get the ship back in revenue producing service....not to mention the cost of repairs.   But it sure does super suck for everyone.   Unfortunately, two things...mother nature....and mechanical devices....can't guarantee either.  

48 minutes ago, shadow1972 said:

Sorry to hear that.  We're scheduled to fly out on Thursday.  Trying to figure out what to do with the flight now.

I hope you're able to figure it out.  I assume NCL is going to refund everyone, but that doesn't necessarily address flights. 😞

This just in:

The following notice contains important information regarding Norwegian Pearl's upcoming 13-day Greek Isles and Italy sailing departing from Rome on July 5, 2019.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

Due to an unforeseen mechanical issue, we regret to inform you that Norwegian Pearl's upcoming Greek Isles and Italy sailing from Rome on July 5, 2019, has been cancelled. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment this unanticipated situation has caused and appreciate your patience and understanding.

A full refund for the sailing, less any travel protection premium, as well as any pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line, will be automatically refunded to your original form of payment. Please allow up to 7 business days for the refund to be reflected.

We understand the disappointment this unexpected situation has caused, and to demonstrate our gratitude for your patience, we will be extending a 100% future cruise credit of the cruise fare paid as well as covering airline change fees of up to $300 per person.

Again, we apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your continued loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you aboard one of our beautiful ships soon to provide you with an exceptional vacation experience.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BourkeBlogs said:

We were on this cruise and no call just an email to say it’s cancelled. Gutted is an understatement.

Totally understand!  Are your dates flexible?   Given the above post, we're looking at an 11-day Greek Isles & Italy from Rome now on July 21 aboard the Jade.

• Like 1

We are already here in Europe and have non-refundable days on Amalfi Coast after the cruise. We are stuck and I need to figure out a plan for 2-weeks last minute. All of that planning for nothing - we are devastated and don’t know what to do!

8 minutes ago, BourkeBlogs said:

Not really, we will need to check about time off work. Also we booked flights separately so we could use a local airport so we will need to find new flights which at such short notice are significantly more expensive. 

😞 Sorry to hear this!

Well...since you're getting the amount refunded, and already have the time off, what about a holiday in Rome (or surrounding area)?  Make lemonade out of lemons!  Or maybe a different cruise line with similar dates?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mickeyfanz said:

We are already here in Europe and have non-refundable days on Amalfi Coast after the cruise. We are stuck and I need to figure out a plan for 2-weeks last minute. All of that planning for nothing - we are devastated and don’t know what to do!

Sorry to hear this!!!  Are you in Rome?  Can you maybe go to the pier and see if an NCL agent can assist you?

Reminds me of our ill fated Thanksgiving Jade cruise last year, also due to mechanical issues.  Hopefully NCL will do the right thing and give generous compensation.  

Edited to add:

I just read the post with the proposed compensation and I think $300pp for flight change is kind of low for those traveling from North America.  

Ours was $650pp flight and hotel and still was not enough to cover for those who came a long way. 

Edited by Cruising Latitude

1 minute ago, El168 said:

Im currently on this stupid ship and we are stuck in Barcelona.  We already missed one port and tomorrows been cancelled.  We might have to fly home now😭

Sorry to hear this!!  Any inside information you can share with us about the issue?