NCL Pearl Cancelled 07/05/19

shadow1972

So there is 100% refund, less any travel protection premiums.  Does this mean they will not refund insurance paid to NCL even though everything else is refunded?  A penalty for buying said insurance?

How disappointing for all involved in this episode.  Weather and mechanical issues cannot be controlled but still so much planning and expense for nothing plus now added stress to get back home.  I hope all affected get fairly compensated.  For those “stuck” in Rome or Barcelona - hang in there and hope you can make alternate plans.  Your fellow cruisers sympathize with you.  ☹️☹️☹️

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

So there is 100% refund, less any travel protection premiums.  Does this mean they will not refund insurance paid to NCL even though everything else is refunded?  A penalty for buying said insurance?

I don't know this for sure but assume that the travel protections premiums are forwarded from NCL to insurence companies when they are paid so I don't think that NCL can refund it.  

Edited by sverigecruiser

15 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Why do you always have to be a tool when you post?

So now pointing out that someone is complaining about only getting short notice of an unforeseen incident is being a tool?  Wow thw snowflake syndrome is really getting bad.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sconter said:

Ridiculous. 

Agree it is ridiculous to complain about getting short notice if an unforeseen incident.  My point exactly.  Thank you for understanding.

Does it suck that a cruise got cancelled, yep big time. Does it even come close to making sense to complain about short notice when there was an unforeseen issue, uh well...

6 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't know this for sure but assume that the travel protections premiums are forwarded from NCL to insurence companies when they are paid so I don't think that NCL can refund it.  

You're correct. NCL isn't an insurance company, so they plans they sell are actually underwritten by an insurer. And insurance doesn't give your money back, even if you make a claim. I have heard of some people being able to move insurance when the cancel a cruise while it's refundable to another trip, but I've never done it so have 0 experience. 

25 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

So now pointing out that someone is complaining about only getting short notice of an unforeseen incident is being a tool?  Wow thw snowflake syndrome is really getting bad.

I'm the furthest thing from a snowflake you could find.   In this instance you should easily realize the person is upset because possibly a cruise on the bucket list for them thousands of miles away from home got cancelled.  Not just the OP but thousands of others, some traveling all the way from the South Pacific. Empathy is free, try some.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Agree it is ridiculous to complain about getting short notice if an unforeseen incident.  My point exactly.  Thank you for understanding.

Does it suck that a cruise got cancelled, yep big time. Does it even come close to making sense to complain about short notice when there was an unforeseen issue, uh well...

Whats ridiculous is your lack of empathy and understanding to someone who is obviously upset. 

Now admittedly these are very much 1st world problems but the cost and planning that goes into a cruise is substantial and I would be genuinely gutted if this happened to me. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry to everyone affected by this.  It must be so disappointing!

Just to reiterate what a few others have said there are other cruise options still available within the time frame of the cruise that was cancelled.  If you go to a website that searches all/most of the cruise lines, select Europe and then select a date range you may be shocked at the number of options. I found some great deals too!  It is very easy and can be quite cheap to get around Europe so don't be too scared to look at options that leave out of another European port...maybe even Northern Europe.  Yes, it will be a different experience than you planned but it can still be great!  If the replacement cruise is shorter that the original 13 day cruise (I found many 7 day cruise options) you can fit that extra travel in there and be back to Rome for your return flights and pre-paid post cruise travel plans. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, minabruuke said:

I am so sorry to everyone affected by this.  It must be so disappointing!

Just to reiterate what a few others have said there are other cruise options still available within the time frame of the cruise that was cancelled.  If you go to a website that searches all/most of the cruise lines, select Europe and then select a date range you may be shocked at the number of options. I found some great deals too!  It is very easy and can be quite cheap to get around Europe so don't be too scared to look at options that leave out of another European port...maybe even Northern Europe.  Yes, it will be a different experience than you planned but it can still be great!  If the replacement cruise is shorter that the original 13 day cruise (I found many 7 day cruise options) you can fit that extra travel in there and be back to Rome for your return flights and pre-paid post cruise travel plans. 

I think that this was a very usefull post which might help many. 

People shall also remember that most people in Europe can speak and understand English. 

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

When you don't use your car insurance or home insurance, do they refund that money to you when you sell or trade the car?  When you don't use your health insurance, do you get a refund on that?

😕

14 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

When you don't use your car insurance or home insurance, do they refund that money to you when you sell or trade the car?  When you don't use your health insurance, do you get a refund on that?

😕

Just saying you saved money in this case by NOT buying insurance.

1 hour ago, sconter said:

Whats ridiculous is your lack of empathy and understanding to someone who is obviously upset. 

Now admittedly these are very much 1st world problems but the cost and planning that goes into a cruise is substantial and I would be genuinely gutted if this happened to me. 

Why are you inferring that I have no understanding or empathy that someone is upset that a cruise got cancelled.  The OP's  major complaint was about getting short notice  I would be upset as well, however I would not be so silly as to complain that I got short notice of an UNFORESEEN mechanical issue.  Others have pointed out the exact same thing.

35 minutes ago, dtiger said:

Incredibly rude and uncalled for.

LOL so pointing out that complaining that you got short notice for an unforeseen incident is now rude?

I guess then PizaMan's post was way over the line, yet no comment, hmmmm..

"No kidding. I can't believe they didn't schedule the unforeseen mechanical problems for a date further in the future. " - PizzaMan

4 hours ago, mugtech said:

when you collect from your insurance for anything do you get the cost of the premium refunded? That is why you carry insurance for heavens sake!!!!

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

The pearl is a cursed ship. I was on the TA when they had the norovirus outbreak which affected hundreds on the ship.

I was on the Pearl about 3 years ago and the same thing: noro virus: But in all fairness we have cruised her 4 times and never had a problem other than that one. Actually the break out we had was the sailing before, with some carry over. 

That really stinks. So sorry you are having to experience this on your holiday. I know this doesn't help much but do look on the bright side: you are safe and at port. 

We're scheduled for the Sept 20 cruise on the Pearl. It's only my second cruise and to be honest I'm already a cruise cynic. While I like them, I'm not completely sold on cruises. So stories like this feed into my already biased mind. I'm trying though so please have patience! Hoping all affected will find a way to make the best of an awful situation!