Currency suggestions for VOV

dawei

We are booked on the Zuiderdam for the Voyage of the Vikings at the end of this month. With five currencies used on this itinerary (six with Canadian $), suggestions for take-along funds from recent VOV cruisers would be appreciated. 

Thanks, David

We used a credit card for almost every thing.you can get funds from an ATM if you need it.

MC or Visa work best. Hopefully a "no foreign transaction fee" card. There are plenty available if yours is not.

Use the airport in Amsterdam.

We used cash for small purchases and tips for our tour guides.

The ship also has currency, but not at a desirable exchange rate.

VOV is one of the most interesting cruises we've been on. 

Edited by TomBeckCruise

When I did the VoV I took along $100 in each of the currencies for small purchases. I have a local currency exchange that always has a good exchange rate and keeps many currencies on hand. Getting the currency before you leave saves you the time of finding an ATM and trying to make sure of the exchange rate and fees.

• Like 1

This was discussed on our Roll Call awhile back.  I definitely suggest some Canadian dollars.  Otherwise, some places will give you an even exchange for your American Dollar.  It happened to me twice last year! We have about 6 ports there so definitely get $100 pp Canadian.  

This time I have $30 for each port in their currency for the two of us.  It is easy to spend that much when we are on our own in a port.  Any big expenses we can put on credit card.

We were on Zuiderdam's Viking Passage (20 days, Copenhagen-Norway-Iceland-Greenland-New York) in September 2018, and didn't get (or find any need of) local currency. Credit cards worked quite well. In all fairness, we didn't buy much in the local shops.

Having Euros and Canadian currency is a good idea, I found.  The Front Office will have other currency if you wish.  A previous poster mentioned than Iceland is very expensive.  I will second that.  My favorite Icelandic chocolate was much more expensive than when I first bought it a couple of years ago.

We took a private Golden Circle tour in Iceland, and stopped for lunch at a geyser. My wife bought a bowl of soup for 1999 Icelandic kroner...$20 U.S. She just about fell over when I told her the true cost :( It was almost what it would've cost here in the Golden State.

Edited by kwb101