Brooklyn cruise terminal arrival

aprilsp88

Hi,

Our cruise will end in Brooklyn cruise terminal. Will we be able to see Manhattan skylight and status of liberty sailing in?

Also, if we book an early evening flight, will we be able to visit some landmarks? Is it worth the hassle? We don't want to stay overnight or take cruiseline tour.

Thanks,

April

On 7/7/2019 at 8:59 PM, aprilsp88 said:

Hi,

Our cruise will end in Brooklyn cruise terminal. Will we be able to see Manhattan skylight and status of liberty sailing in?

Also, if we book an early evening flight, will we be able to visit some landmarks? Is it worth the hassle? We don't want to stay overnight or take cruiseline tour.

Thanks,

April

We cruised into Brooklyn a few Septembers ago to end a Transatlantic. We came in early, sometime around dawn, and I remember seeing the Statue of Liberty for sure, but that's because we were fairly close to it. I'm not sure the Manhattan skyline was that visible, but it might depend on time of day and how close you are.

Jim

On 7/7/2019 at 11:59 PM, aprilsp88 said:

You will see lower Manhattan from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and the Statue of Liberty as you sail in.

A tip: Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Statue of Liberty of course are not in Canada or New England. 🙂  The best place for these questions (including your question about sightseeing in NY) is the East Coast Departures board, where they are regularly discussed.

Edited by Turtles06

You'll be able to see the statue in the distance just past Governors Island. Wont get the up close sail by ships docking in Manhattan get. You'll be able to see the lower Manhattan skyline-- mostly the financial district and of course One World Trade Center, but the rest of the Manhattan skyline will be distant and mostly hidden behind these buildings. 

If you Uber/Lyft/Taxi into the city you could certainly see one or two things before heading to the airport (depending on what airport you are headed to). You could have lunch in midtown and then head out-- you will need to leave Manhattan no later than 3pm for a domestic flight thats 5:30pm for example. 

On 7/14/2019 at 1:29 PM, jasbo49 said:

We cruised into Brooklyn a few Septembers ago to end a Transatlantic. We came in early, sometime around dawn, and I remember seeing the Statue of Liberty for sure, but that's because we were fairly close to it. I'm not sure the Manhattan skyline was that visible, but it might depend on time of day and how close you are.

Jim

Good to know, thanks Jim!

On 7/14/2019 at 3:31 PM, Turtles06 said:

You will see lower Manhattan from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and the Statue of Liberty as you sail in.

A tip: Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Statue of Liberty of course are not in Canada or New England. 🙂  The best place for these questions (including your question about sightseeing in NY) is the East Coast Departures board, where they are regularly discussed.

Thanks. You're right, I did post on east coast departures as well and get more answers there.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 3:35 PM, princeton123211 said:

You'll be able to see the statue in the distance just past Governors Island. Wont get the up close sail by ships docking in Manhattan get. You'll be able to see the lower Manhattan skyline-- mostly the financial district and of course One World Trade Center, but the rest of the Manhattan skyline will be distant and mostly hidden behind these buildings. 

If you Uber/Lyft/Taxi into the city you could certainly see one or two things before heading to the airport (depending on what airport you are headed to). You could have lunch in midtown and then head out-- you will need to leave Manhattan no later than 3pm for a domestic flight thats 5:30pm for example. 

Thanks for the detailed info.

We've arrived at Red Hook quite a few times in the fall.  One has to get up very early (5 or 6, as I recall) to see the Statue of Liberty in the distance (it's more than a mile away at the closest point) as the ship sails to Red Hook.  It's dark at that time in the fall, but I've been able to get decent photos with my SLR without flash because "she" is always lit up.  FWIW, the Statue is much closer to NJ.  One fall we sailed from there on a Celebrity ship and the capt. took the ship north so we could get a very close to her for good photos.