Pictures of Trunk Bay.

TTEllis

I just found these pictures of Trunk Bay, I had caught the 8am ferry from Redhook I got to Trunk before there was anybody working in the little shack thingy at the entrance, I went back and paid my $4 when they opened. I was the first person on Trunk Bay, the morning was awesome there was nobody on Trunk Bay but me. Great day on St. John nice beach huh!!😎

20131202_113912.jpg

20131202_100028.jpg

3 hours ago, TTEllis said:

I just found these pictures of Trunk Bay, I had caught the 8am ferry from Redhook I got to Trunk before there was anybody working in the little shack thingy at the entrance, I went back and paid my $4 when they opened. I was the first person on Trunk Bay, the morning was awesome there was nobody on Trunk Bay but me. Great day on St. John nice beach huh!!😎

20131202_113912.jpg

20131202_100028.jpg

Did you Taxi to Redhook or take the bus?Was it difficult to get taxi from ferry at St. John to Trunk Bay and then back to ferry?

3 hours ago, nautica34 said:

Beautiful pictures! How much was the cost round trip for the taxis and ferries?

Thank you.

I give myself "roundtrip" from either Crown Bay or Havensight to Trunk, $60(US), to be specific it comes to around $54(US).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TTEllis said:

Thank you.

I give myself "roundtrip" from either Crown Bay or Havensight to Trunk, $60(US), to be specific it comes to around $54(US).

Thanks! Trying to decide Trunk Bay and Sapphire beach 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 12:34 PM, dallasdan said:

My wife and I will be on Celebrity Cruise which I believe docks in Havensight in November.  Our port time is 8:00 to 5:00.  We will have plenty of time to make it to Trunk Bay and back?

Yes. Here's how we did it with that timeframe:

- Off ship right at 8, in a taxi

- 9am ferry, get in to St John at 9:20am (give or take), hop on taxi

- At Trunk Bay by 9:45am

- Leave Trunk Bay at 12:45pm

- Lunch/beers in Cruz Bay from 1:00pm to 1:55pm

- 2pm ferry back, get in to St Thomas at 2:20pm (give or take), hop in taxi that was already pre-arranged with the same guy who took us there in the morning

- Get back to ship just after 3pm

So there are a couple things to note here:

- Could easily spend another hour on the beach if you didn't want to go have lunch

- Planning to take the 2pm ferry also means you have the 3pm ferry to fall back on just in case there are any issues, which would still get you back to the ship just after 4pm, leaving a half-hour cushion before all-aboard

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 1:34 PM, dallasdan said:

My wife and I will be on Celebrity Cruise which I believe docks in Havensight in November.  Our port time is 8:00 to 5:00.  We will have plenty of time to make it to Trunk Bay and back?

The Nov schedule shows both the Summit and Equinox docking in Crown Bay.  This is where Celebrity is contracted to dock so unless there is some really unexpected and unusual reason you will not be in Havensight.  You will still have time for the plans as Zach1213 outlined but make decisions on the conservative side as the trip back to Crown Bay is longer than to Havensight and traffic may be heavy when everyone is returning to the ship.   Have a good trip.   Hope this helps with your plans!

On 7/29/2019 at 1:34 PM, dallasdan said:

I've done Trunk Bay many times on the 8am-5pm schedule from Crown Bay never a problem just make sure you catch the 3pm ferry back to Redhhook from St. John. Have a great trip.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, nautica34 said:

Thanks! Trying to decide Trunk Bay and Sapphire beach 

What are you looking for in your beach day? Snorkeling? Or just a gorgeous beach with beautiful island views?

For a very nice day with a tour of the North Shore beaches of STJ and a little time at one of the beaches like Trunk or Cinnamon a day trip to STJ is indeed s great option. Taxi to Red Hook, ferry to Cruz Bay, and drivers are waiting there to whisk you to a beach. Enroute to the beaches, the drivers will offer a tour before the beach and for a first visit I would highly recommend that to experience some of the history, and see some of the beauty of the island along with the views of the shore and neighboring islands of the BVI. Then taxi back to Cruz for the ferry and taxi back to Crown. With a ~2-hour tour the total cost is ~$68pp + tip. Without the tour ~$60...

If decent off-the-beach snorkeling is important would recommend Sapphire over Trunk. Sapphire is also a gorgeous beach but offers a coral area and sea grass area. For Trunk you should read current reviews on the snorkeling conditions on the STJ forums on TA and elsewhere. There are great off-the-shore snorkel sites on STJ, but you'd need a rental or reliable driver, and there are no amenities at those locations. So not easy on a cruise stop but great if you return for a longer visit. But doable if good snorkeling is desired, and you can grab a lunch picnic at Moe’s in Red Hook or in Cruz Bay.

Another STJ snorkel option option is a daysail that moors off Salomon/Caneel Bay to snorkel the cays...that is a great option on a very busy port day! But if just looking for another beach Trunk is fine, just be aware that like Magens it is one of the most popular...

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

On St. John -  a few hours at Trunk Bay,  or at Honeymoon????

Leaning towards Trunk Bay,  but could take a nice catamaran to Honeymoon.  Which I would enjoy.

Are you trying to decide which option you want? 🤔 😊 As mentioned it really depends on the experience you want:

A busier beach vibe of Trunk with your fellow cruise mates, beginner snorkeling and more amenities?

Laid back beach vibe of Honeymoon (or Hawksnest) with few fellow cruise mates?

Or the ultimate cat sail with a small group and snorkeling?

The Champagne Cat sail is also a great day in your first (or 10th) visit...

Choices!