New to NCL: looking at Norwegian Bliss

DonnaK

We are experienced cruisers, usually on Royal Caribbean.  We are planning to book Norwegian Bliss, 7 day sailing out of NY, just to mix it up and try something new.  I've been reading reviews and trying to gather information, but that became a bit overwhelming and doesn't give clarity to the things I am cloudy on.

Specifically, we are debating between a balcony and a minisuite, and between the sail-away guarantee cabin and the "take all four" options.   I can't find information about whether or not there are "bad" or obstructed view" cabins, as the sailaway rate is for a guarantee.

Also, I am a bit confused about exactly what the four options include.  (How many specialty meals?  Dinners or lunches?  Are all venues included?  How much internet time is included?  How does the shore excursion credit work - must we use $50 on an excursion in each port, or can we combine the credit and use it all in one port?  Is this all per person, or per cabin?  Etc)  Since we are not big drinkers or foodies, and we usually do the ports on our own rather than book excursions, we are trying to figure out if this is a good deal for us.  

Are there any other basic helpful hints you can provide? 

Edited by DonnaK

16 minutes ago, DonnaK said:

(How many specialty meals?  Dinners or lunches?  Are all venues included?

That depends on how long the cruise is.  I believe on a 7-day you get 3 meals at specialty dining.  Dinner only as I don't believe any of the specialty venues are open for lunch, and you can go to any of the venues for dinner, some may have up-charges though.

How does the shore excursion credit work - must we use $50 on an excursion in each port, or can we combine the credit and use it all in one port?  Is this all per person, or per cabin?  Etc)

$50 per cabin per port as long as an excursion is taken.  You can pre-book and pre-pay for the excursions and then end up with OBC to use during your cruise once the excursions are completed.  You can also call in, book the excursions before the trip but have them billed to your on-board account and then the credit covers part of the cost.  The big thing to remember is that it's $50 per cabin (NOT PERSON) per port as long as an excursion is taken.

How much internet time is included?

NCL.com says 250 minutes - https://www.ncl.com/in/en/cruise-deals/choice-int

Other helpful tips - don't make the same mistake someone on my last cruise did and find the observation lounge and waterfront before the last night of the trip, both are wonderful parts of the ship.  Use the touch-screens near the elevators (2 on each end of each elevator lobby on each deck) to book events you weren't able to book before the cruise.

Edited by hallux

Thank you Hallux - very helpful info

Are there any obstructed view midship mini-suites or other bad locations?  Only guarantees are available in the category we want.

Or, any issues with regular balconies on deck 10?

Edited by DonnaK

We had a balcony cabin on deck 10 on the Bliss. No issues with obstructions, since the lifeboats are on deck 8.

Mini suites and balcony cabins are essentially the same, in the main area. The difference is in the bathroom where minisuites have two sinks and larger showers.

Thank you.  So I should avoid deck 8?  That makes a guarantee risky, because they seem to include deck 8

The deck 8 balconies are all in the very front of the ship. There's no lifeboats there.

Also I believe the lifeboats are actually under the waterfront which is deck 8 so it's more like they're on 7. The lifeboats are tucked into the ship.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We sailed last summer on Bliss and booked a week before sailing. GTY Balcony was what we booked and received assignment 2 days later. Deck 13 - Mid Ship - near Aft elevators. Very good location and we were very happy.

This summer we booked after final payment and chose Sail Away Mini Suite. We do not drink much and have been to Alaska many times , so excursions are always done from dockside. 

Since our cruise is very port intensive, internet minutes we get for Latitudes works just fine.

We were assigned Deck 12, connecting Mid-Ship Mini Suite. If we had booked directly, it would have been $3,000 more.  Purchased Speciality Dining Package for us. As we are Platinum Plus, will have 2 more with that. 

There really are no “BAD” cabins on the Bliss. It is a beautiful ship. We are happy we were able to get MiniSuite. It is identical to Balcony Cabin with the exception of an exceptional bathroom. Double Sink and Very Large Shower(by cruise ship standards)

We could not select that category last year as it was already Sold Out.

I would say go for the mini suite.  

2 hours ago, DonnaK said:

Thank you Hallux - very helpful info

Are there any obstructed view midship mini-suites or other bad locations?  Only guarantees are available in the category we want.

Or, any issues with regular balconies on deck 10?

The Breakaway class, which includes the Bliss has very few obstructed views.  The Waterfront is a feature of the class and the Waterfront has a really cool design feature of extending over the lifeboats, resulting in very few obstructed views.  Deck 8 has really large balconies as well.  Upper balconies are only “blocked” if you are looking down as the waterfront has a partial roof over it.