Questions about the NCL app

Hi friends.

I am wondering what we can do with this app if we are in airplane mode on our iphones. We are Canadian and will not have phone service while in Alaska. 

If we decide we want to sign up for the $10 per device service, how and where do we do this? 

TIA!

You sign up for the messaging part on the app itself.

Being in airplane mode doesn't affect using the app at all. Just turn wifi on and join the ships network to get full access to the app.

Edited by KeithJenner

Best to download & pre-install prior to cruising as noted, just don't sign it as it might run in the background at all times ...

However, it's now possible to do the download onboard, free, while connected to ship's inTRAnet to get the App. See below.   This was good on the Escape in January & Dawn in May, should be available across the fleet. 

612dca8613fa20552b7bac5285ddc2ed.jpg9734de8a7287e4066da6f7b2b983407d.jpg12ba6e5f8203fec2b98f95ad8736e18e.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

The App itself is free to use, the optional functions for onboard calling & texting has that $10 one-time charge, per device fee.  Stop at the iCafe center onboard to pickup the latest mini-guide (printed) for instructions & details, etc. 

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

On you phone:

1) Place your device into Airplane Mode FIRST and THEN

2) Enable your WiFi & search for available networks. The ship's WiFi network should have the name of the ship somewhere in its SSID: "NCL_GETAWAY_WIFI....." or something similar to that. 

If you do these steps in reverse you'll disable your WiFi by invoking Airplane Mode.  Putting your phone into Airplane Mode first cuts off ALL wireless access; WiFi & cellular.  You then enable WiFi which gives you WiFi but NO cellular service.  Yeah, it's kinda weird but that's how you avoid racking up cell phone roaming charges while you're aboard.  I learned this the hard way a few years back...sigh.

Have a great cruise!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yellownovawife said:

Thanks everyone!

How do I sign up and pay the $10 each so hubby and I can text each other on the ship?

Make sure you have the app downloaded before boarding. When onboard join the ships WiFi and then just follow the instructions in the app. The charge is added to your onboard account.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in Alaska last week and I'm Canadian.

I kept my phone on airplane mode and was able to access the app.

All the information given above is correct.

Just to add I did turn my phone on in Juneau and Skagway but ended up getting a warning since once we were far from shore I was out of range and was going to get charged international rates. (My Roger's plan charges $7/day for US roaming).