Comparing cruise line dining

masscruiser2010

8 hours ago, AtA said:

it could have killed me, but no one on the staff seemed to be the least bit concerned. 

I hope you reported this to management.  Both on the ship and at the corporate level.

2 hours ago, Mura said:

And lots of people (at Waves) ask for a surf&surf ... or the alternative. It's true that the sandwich is not enormous (the hamburgers are much larger) BUT a little goes a long way for me.  Especially when followed with a smoothie ...

Mura

Hmm, maybe a lobster roll 🙂  Grab a hot dog bun (I know, not a split top but still) and a little mayo.  Mmmmm.

40 minutes ago, clo said:

Hmm, maybe a lobster roll 🙂  Grab a hot dog bun (I know, not a split top but still) and a little mayo.  Mmmmm.

Just to put a bit in your mouth to rein in some expectations...Waves lobster is not the Maine lobster found in East Coast lobster rolls. 

Edited by buggins0402

9 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

Just to put a bit in your mouth to rein in some expectations...Waves lobster is not the Maine lobster found in East Coast lobster rolls. 

Oh, dang.  I thought that's what they all served.  Oh, well.  And thanks for ruining my dream 🙂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, dang.  I thought that's what they all served.  Oh, well.  And thanks for ruining my dream 🙂

The only place Maine/Canadian  lobster is served regularly is Polo.  That said, if the ship is, or has been in NE, and it can be provisioned easily, you may find it more places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I hope you reported this to management.  Both on the ship and at the corporate level.

That's the problem. We did report it to first the teatime management, then the head concierge after we reported it to the front desk and then finally after the cruise we wrote corporate management.

We absolutely never heard back from anyone. Crickets! 

11 minutes ago, AtA said:

That's the problem. We did report it to first the teatime management, then the head concierge after we reported it to the front desk and then finally after the cruise we wrote corporate management.

We absolutely never heard back from anyone. Crickets! 

I wish I were astounded.  But I think this happens too much.  I've tried to find the original comment about this.  Was this Oceania?  If so, our upcoming cruise may be our last. Not that it happened, which was dreadful, but the fact that they never replied to you and likely never dealt with the issue.  Thanks for sharing this and I'm glad nothing worse happened.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I wish I were astounded.  But I think this happens too much.  I've tried to find the original comment about this.  Was this Oceania?  If so, our upcoming cruise may be our last. Not that it happened, which was dreadful, but the fact that they never replied to you and likely never dealt with the issue.  Thanks for sharing this and I'm glad nothing worse happened.

Yes this was Oceania on the Mariner. 

Thankfully mine is just a food sensitivity where if I eat shellfish, I get very bad stomach cramps that last anywhere from a few hours to over 24 hours. My concern wasn't for me after it happened but what if someone had a true shellfish allergy. It could have killed them and yet they had a caviler attitude to the whole problem. 

Hopefully while they were less than concerned to our faces, they did take immediate steps behind the scenes so it would never happen again, but like I said, they never let us know. 

14 minutes ago, AtA said:

but like I said, they never let us know. 

Which, IMO, they didn't do a darn thing.  If they had, then why not 'brag' about it?

May I have your permission to write them myself expressing my displeasure?  As I've mentioned I have a lot of medical background.  This is the kind of thing that should precipitate action.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Which, IMO, they didn't do a darn thing.  If they had, then why not 'brag' about it?

May I have your permission to write them myself expressing my displeasure?  As I've mentioned I have a lot of medical background.  This is the kind of thing that should precipitate action.

Yes you of course have my permission. It was on one of their early Cuba cruises a few years ago. I can find out the exact sailing tomorrow. Message me privately

1 minute ago, AtA said:

Yes you of course have my permission. It was on one of their early Cuba cruises a few years ago. I can find out the exact sailing tomorrow. Message me privately

Actually not necessary.  I can cite the experience and that should be enough.

Just now, clo said:

Actually not necessary.  I can cite the experience and that should be enough.

FYI because I couldn't give up the price and because I remember the food was very good, I'm taking my son on a 7 day Caribbean on Serina this January. It's his graduation gift. I'm hoping that was a momentary lapse from when I was on.

(There were other issues too but that was the most serious one.)

12 hours ago, clo said:

Contacting a company about an incident that happened 2 - 3 years ago to someone else.  What are you hoping to accomplish, exactly?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes...Red ginger  but beware a lot of Asian dishes, even meat  will be made with Oyster  and Fish sauce...  Seafood components figure  into much of all Asian foods... from sauces to ingredients.   You might look up the entrees and dishes and look up recipes. to be safe. 

I always do and do ask no matter where I eat. Last thing I want is to be doubled over in bed with stomach cramps on a cruise. Thank you. 

48 minutes ago, JPR said:

AtA wrote: “Yes this was Oceania on the Mariner.“

Did you mean to type “Marina”? “The Mariner” is a Regent ship.

Yes I meant the Marina. Sorry for the gaff.

7 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Contacting a company about an incident that happened 2 - 3 years ago to someone else.  What are you hoping to accomplish, exactly?

I missed that it was that long ago.  Thanks.