Escape sail away NY

1bets1

Hi All,

Leaving out of Manhattan- where on the ship is a good place to be for sailaway? I'd like to get good pictures of the Statue of Liberty, etc. I'm not too concerned with pictures going under the bridge, as I have a bunch from leaving from NJ. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, 1bets1 said:

Hi All,

Leaving out of Manhattan- where on the ship is a good place to be for sailaway? I'd like to get good pictures of the Statue of Liberty, etc. I'm not too concerned with pictures going under the bridge, as I have a bunch from leaving from NJ. Thanks!

Port for the city; starboard for SOL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1bets1 said:

Hi All,

Hands down, deck 20.

Tippy top of the ship.

It's forward and the stairs to get up to it are by the bar right outside of Vibe on deck 19.

No obstructions with a perfect view to all sides.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Hands down, deck 20.

Tippy top of the ship.

It's forward and the stairs to get up to it are by the bar right outside of Vibe on deck 19.

I agree, both sides have amazing views.

57 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Hands down, deck 20.

Tippy top of the ship.

This sounds perfect! That's not the pool deck right? I'm assuming this is less crowded.

51 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Hands down, deck 20.

Tippy top of the ship.

Except everyone else has the same idea.

On Deck 20, the railings are lined with people on both sides.  When passing the SOL, it can be 3-4 people deep.  You need to get up there after muster and pick a side.

Deck 20 does provide the best view of the bridge, but OP doesn't care about the bridge view.  

If possible, Deck 8 aft to the point where you stand looking into the Manhattan room.  From this vantage, you can see both the City and SOL.

15 minutes ago, 1bets1 said:

This sounds perfect! That's not the pool deck right? I'm assuming this is less crowded.

Pool deck is 16

It does get crowded up there, but it's crowded everywhere on sailaway and this is the very top deck of the ship.

5 hours ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

If possible, Deck 8 aft to the point where you stand looking into the Manhattan room.  From this vantage, you can see both the City and SOL.

I agree with this.  Aft on deck 8 you can walk to either side as you sail past Manhattan and the SOL, then go to the center and watch both fade into the distance.  The upper decks don't provide much of an aft view, and this is perhaps the most impressive angle.

Deck 8 also has fewer wind-blocks and other obstructions that can get in the way of taking photos and is generally less crowded.

Thus, unless you really like the extra height or really want a forward view, I feel Deck 8 aft is the place to be.

Agreed, Deck 8 starboard to get good photos of SOL & Ellis Island sailing south on the Hudson, it's shielded somewhat and wasn't crowded for us ... even if the weather isn't playing nice.  

Another alternative is go one deck lower, to the lifeboat's Deck 7 -  you can also find good spots for photos, near the Fwd elevators/stairs, where it is somehow enclosed & shielded against sun, wind & elements.  

A good digital camera with high power zoom lens for high resolution images are always better for scenic pictures as most smartphones are limited to 4X or 10X power, higher power options don't always enhance the picture clarity & sharpness, etc.